advice re cinque terre - italy

Domino

In May we're off to Sicily, on the way the Cinque Terre area, the section in eastern Liguria, including

the villages of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Porto Venere and around to Montemarcello look pretty, but when

looking at maps they look too torturous. Could some of you travelled people let me know if this is

sensible in a 27' motorhome. Even suggest sites/parking places we could park at and walk/tour some of the area.

Thanks

Hi Domino

We were there a couple of years ago and from our experience would advise that the best thing to do is to stop at a camp site, Sestre Levante rings a bell, and catch the train to the villages, some of which are only accesible by foot. The paths can be a bit steep but well worth the pain. Do not have acsi book for Italy with us but will see if I can remember other sites. We also went to Girona which was well worth trip. We stopped on way down at a nice site, just over the Italian border at San Remo, another good site and town worth looking around for a day or so.

Bob

We visited the 'five lands' about 7 years ago in our motorhome. We camped at Deiva Marina: I recall there were about 3 sites there, the best being up the hill, the worst being next to the station. A free bus took us down to the station where you buy day tickets for the train and the national park. You can only visit the towns by train (hop on/off) or by foot (tickets checked at the entrance). The campsites were densely packed but we enjoyed ourselves, and took two days to visit all 5 towns. We also took the train in the other direction (and bus) to visit Portofino - well worth a visit.

I found this in an email I wrote at the time: i hope it helps.

The Cinque Terre is made up of five villages, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso, perched on Italy's Ligurian coast between Genova and La Spezia. The area is a national park accessible only by train, boat or on foot.

We camped at ‘La Sfinge’ above Deiva Marina. From June to September a free bus service takes campers to the station, from where you can take the train to the five towns. You buy a ticket to cover the journey to Sestri Levante and a pass (day or longer) for the park.

We got off the train at Manarola and walked along the cliff path known as the ‘Via dell’ Amore’ to Riomaggiore. We liked it so much that we walked back again and then on to Corniglia, a longer walk, which ended in 365, steps up to the town. After a light lunch, we caught the train to Vernazza for a walkabout before returning to Deiva. Next day we returned to visit the fifth town, Monterrosso, which has the best beaches of the Cinque Terre. The towns are all delightful, even when bustling with tourists. The cliff walks vary in length and difficulty; however, the towns are also accessible by boat. There are other footpaths across the park for ‘real’ walkers.

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmm......Sounds like worth a look. We are going back to Tuscany again this summer and this looks like an ideal area to add to tour..Kirby! the map! :D

Well done chasm..your going to fit right in! :-D

Hi

We were there last April. 
We stayed in Levanto which is reached directly from the A12 Autostrada.
Take the Carrodano Levanto exit onto SS566dir. Just follow it all the way to Levanto.
We were in a Ducato PVC and had no trouble with the road there, nor did the many much larger coachbuilts that filled the campsites there. The road only becomes steep as you decend into Levanto (last 2-3km)
We stayed at Camping Aqua Dulce the closest to town (2 min walk). 
There are a few other camping grounds on the outskirts of town as you arrive. There is also an Aire in the Agip Service Station next to the railway station, but you have to be quick to get a spot there. 

The entire area is outstanding but since the huge flood and mudslide that happened in October 2011 much of the coastal paths have been damaged and the section between Vernazza-Corniglia-Manarola was closed when we were there. 
The coastal walk from Monterosso to Vernazza is spectacular but very steep and winding in parts and can be difficult if it has been raining. 
You can get a Cinque Terre Pass for the train that gives you unlimited travel to and from the towns and includes the coastal path fee. 
Even though we couldn't get to Corniglia or Manarola along the coast the trip was well worth the effort. 
The only down side for us was that our son was there with a couple of his mates earlier in 2011 before the flood and he was able to do the entire costal walk.

WARNING! Make sure you check on Italian school and public holiday dates before you get there. The place is absolutely packed on holiday weekends and school hols.

I've included some pics.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8071/8397326312_7702a7e69e_z.jpg
Monterosso Beach with earth-moving plant.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8377/8396242335_7e33b7de95_z.jpg
Monterosso Street damage. 

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8507/8396241267_93c7256752_z.jpg
Vernazza Harbour with earth-moving plant.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8467/8397327322_4f84f6d68e_z.jpg
What it looked like after the flood

Archived