Windows 8 comments

Mrs T

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm very surprised that's the only comment the OP has made.

Without trying to sound like a know it all, I have been repairing PC's for many years, and have just in the last few days been given a Lenovo Win8 machine to install some software for them, and take some bloat ware off, to say it's like being back to the first day in school is an understatement, the owner is completely frustrated in trying to find his way about the new OS, I can only mirror that experience.

I think the best review I've read summed it up like this " Windows 8, the present to give someone you hate "

My bet is Win9 will be along very shortly, add in the fact that Microsoft are offering this OS as an upgrade for £25 for me say's it all. My advice stick with XP although support will be ending for it in the not too distant future, or Win7 which as far as I'm concerned is as close Microsoft have ever got to a stable OS.

Already there are third party applications to make it look and work like Win7, or XP by bringing back the "start" button for example on the taskbar, because there isn't one in Win8 .Mmmmmm

Guest JudgeMental
have new PC on order (chillblast) and son said stay away from windows 8, he then showed me some videos on youtube demonstrating what a pile of crap it is.... touch screen on a PC? *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-01-17 12:05 PM

have new PC on order (chillblast) and son said stay away from windows 8, he then showed me some videos on youtube demonstrating what a pile of crap it is.... touch screen on a PC? *-)

This is one of the major flaws, and misleading by re-sellers of both the OS,and new machines, not many laptops or desktops support win8 touchscreen interfaces, so anyone upgrading,or indeed buying new without a touchscreen specific machine will be left completely underwhelmed.

And of course the most users buying a new Win8 machine need to have that explained to them, and cough up a fair bit more for the privilege, a bit naughty really.

Must confess one of my pet hates is greasy fingerprints on any type of screen, so I'll not be going there in any event

Here's how to get Windows 8 working at full speed, give it to a twelve year old girl, with no preconcieved ideas on how good/bad it is and not being bogged down with an XP/Win7 mindset she will just plough on regardlest and make us old codgers seem like, well just like old codgers. Mind you her last pute had Vista and if you can get on with that you'll master anything.

BTW as yours is a HP it will be clogged up with bloatware.

Guest 1footinthegrave

You misread what I said, it is not my HP, just someone who has given it to me to rid it of crap.

Crapware has long been a thorn in the sides of Windows users. Consumers and enterprise users buy PCs under the faulty impression that they’ll be getting a completely clean computer when they break open the box. Instead, they find a PC that’s been loaded up with junk that they typically don’t need. What’s worse, all of that software slows down boot times and performance, since the programs are usually set to load automatically and typically run in the background. Most if not all PC's come preloaded with junk, just that some are worse than others.

Now users are buying an OS that really belongs to the touch tablet market, now pre-installed on non touch screen PC's which seems like a bit of a stupid thing to do. It will frustrate many users, and can only succeed in alienating more windows users to buy a MAC, if there was not such a huge price difference that would have happened long ago IMO.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of existing Windows users who are perfectly happy with their desktop and laptop PCs, and their existing library of applications, are forced by Win8 to re-learn the habits of decades… to no purpose but the enrichment of Microsoft. Again, there’s no way of painting this as anything but a massive FAIL. as very many IT commentators are saying.

played with w8 recently in a few stores what a dogs dinner microsoft has made of it, I expect SP1 will be large having to put it all right, it has been dumbed down for the masses of dim chavy teenagers that are only intrested in all that social media stuff.

noticed no longer plays dvd's back to days of XP when we had to download 3rd party one.

no start button or quick shutdown.

no program list, as for the metro screen its dreadful no way to disable it. Had to boot into metro then click the desktop square to get started.

none of the many laptops on sale had the touchscreen gimmick that windows8 promotes or the new fast EFI BIOS fast boot that again windows8 promotes.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2013-01-17 3:45 PM

Mind you her last pute had Vista and if you can get on with that you'll master anything.

I have windows vista 8-)....................is it out of date? :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-17 5:06 PM

You misread what I said, it is not my HP, just someone who has given it to me to rid it of crap.

The 'BTW' was for OP who also has a HP. I recently purchased a HP notebook, as I needed a backup pute in a hurry, as it was similar spec to an 'A listed' make I was surprised at just how slow it was until seeing how much crap it was loading on start up.

Quite apart from the fact that its not very good it is mainly intended for tablets and touch screen devices. When it comes to a traditional PC windows 7 is good enough and in many ways better. Problem is that for marketing reasons PC manufacturers are switching over to windows 8 despite the fact that 7 would in most ways be better.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Colin Leake - 2013-01-17 7:33 PM

Quite apart from the fact that its not very good it is mainly intended for tablets and touch screen devices. When it comes to a traditional PC windows 7 is good enough and in many ways better. Problem is that for marketing reasons PC manufacturers are switching over to windows 8 despite the fact that 7 would in most ways be better.

That's almost certainly because Microsoft will be giving them the OEM software for free or at very little cost, as far as I'm aware hardly any PC manufacturers are shipping even recovery discs now, instead relying on the end user to create a bootable back up image when they first get the machine, yes right, most people I've met would not have a clue how to do that, so when their machine goes pear shaped they will be stuffed.

I've just looked on the machine I'm sorting out for someone and there is not even a COA with serial number. They will have no other choice but to shell out for a new copy of Win8, there's going to be some pretty cross people when they realise that.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-01-17 7:46 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-01-17 7:33 PM

That's almost certainly because Microsoft will be giving them the OEM software for free or at very little cost, as far as I'm aware hardly any PC manufacturers are shipping even recovery discs now, instead relying on the end user to create a bootable back up image when they first get the machine, yes right, most people I've met would not have a clue how to do that, so when their machine goes pear shaped they will be stuffed.

I've just looked on the machine I'm sorting out for someone and there is not even a COA with serial number. They will have no other choice but to shell out for a new copy of Win8, there's going to be some pretty cross people when they realise that.

So if you were about to order a laptop...........as I might be here in Spain from dell...............would I be better asking for windows 7 instead of 8? :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave

Without a shadow of doubt, there are so many problems with this new OS, and if you are used to other earlier versions it is a joke, without doubt the worst OS ever.

This is what PC World ( not the Uk store ) has to say, as well as many other IT reviewers

Some Windows 8 problems have nothing to do with drivers. Instead, the OS itself is just innately challenging. To alleviate some of the built-in pain points, you absolutely must read our guide to the 8 worst Windows 8 irritations and how to fix them. Microsoft's decision to omit the traditional Start Button is among a host of bizarre development decisions

Or this from

Microsoft tech support forums

Praseetha Nair, listed as a Support Engineer, has a very complex series of steps for narrowing down -- and attempting to resolve -- the problem. Nair's post on Microsoft Community includes instructions for booting into safe mode with networking clean booting, disabling Startup programs, disabling Startup Windows services, and if all else fails, "try performing a system restore prior to a point before you were experiencing the issue."

Those actions would've been reasonably straightforward in Windows 7: an F8 to boot into Safe Mode with networking, Russinovich's Autoruns to temporarily block autostarting programs, a trip to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools to bring up the System Restore Wizard. In Windows 8, though, life isn't so easy.

There are many ways to boot into Win8 Safe Mode, all of which are complex; Nair's instructions step affected users through msconfig to reboot in Safe Mode. (There is no F8 Safe Mode interrupt in Windows 8 because, supposedly, Win8 boots too fast to look for an F8.) Nair shows how to disable autostarting programs with msconfig, as well. Running a system restore in Win8 is very obtuse, unless you know that the System Restore Wizard is called rstrui.exe. Microsoft's buried the handling of restore points deep in the Win8 interface

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for that Mike ;-)...................I'm having a chat with dell Spain and they're saying its windows 8 or nothing *-)...............computer is behaving itself at the moment but keeps having the odd fit and spitting dust out of its bottom 8-)...................I guess its sucked up all the MDF dust from my clothes when I've been working........as I tend to sit with it on my lap :-S...

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-01-18 4:38 PM

Thanks for that Mike ;-)...................I'm having a chat with dell Spain and they're saying its windows 8 or nothing *-)...............computer is behaving itself at the moment but keeps having the odd fit and spitting dust out of its bottom 8-)...................I guess its sucked up all the MDF dust from my clothes when I've been working........as I tend to sit with it on my lap :-S...

I would strongly urge you to wait until you are back UK side, get one with win7, or even XPyou'll thank me, by the way as you acknowledge the name laptop is it's own worst enemy, as you'll know the air intake to the processor is on the bottom, apart from the dust of your clothes getting sucked in, there is the problem of the processor becoming over heated, but I guess you know that.

You could always get a very good second hand one of a friend of mine on Ebay, PM me if you'd like his sellers name, he does really good ones for around £80

Every so often they bring out rubbish operating systems. Millenium was one and vista was pretty awful,. That's why it's best to wait a while rather than getting it when it's in its early days.

Trouble is as already said suppliers eventually stop shipping the older os like 7 and xp.

Guest 1footinthegrave

There are already 3rd party software applications to have the "start" menu added to Win8, but you have to pay extra for it, there is no way to access anything that you are used to by launching the start menu, programs, as has always been the case,because there is no start button on the taskbar. There is already a major issue that windows update fails, and there are already loads of security updates that you cannot download because of this.

Here is one of Microsofts technical bulletins to resolve the situation with Windows 8, now are you sitting comfortably, then I'll begin.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot:

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’

So there you go then, even your granny will be able to get her new laptop with Windows 8 on sorted ! ! !.

If you have a Pc or laptop with Windows Hate pro you can legally downgrade to windows 7 pro for free.

and rid yourself of this operating system that was designed for touchscreen devices and bodged up for desktop devices and is no good on either.

here are the details however note if its not the pro version you cant do it.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=gdYXw39E5T_

Guest 1footinthegrave

That's really interesting,and kind of says it all, now Grannys got another option, so for Granny, here are the instructions,a walk in the park LOL

These instructions enable you to do the following:

Restore your Lenovo computer to the original Windows 7 factory configuration

Convert a Windows 8 Pro installation to the Windows 7 Professional operating system as permitted by Windows 8 Pro downgrade rights

Important: If you are using this recovery disc set to convert your operating system, it is very important to create product recovery media in case you want to restore the current operating system on your computer at a later date.

To create recovery media on the Windows 8 operating system, open Control Panel and change to the Large icons or Small icons view. Click Recovery > Create a recovery drive. Follow the instructions on the screen.

To create Product Recovery discs on the Windows Vista operating system, click Start > All Programs > ThinkVantage > Create Product Recovery Media.

To create product recovery media on the Windows XP operating system, click Start > All Programs. Then, click Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools > Factory Recovery Disks or ThinkVantage > Create Recovery Media.

Before the Recovery Process

Note: If you are using this recovery disc set to restore the contents of your hard disk drive to a factory-installed Windows 7 installation (including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers), go to Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.

If your computer is preinstalled with the Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) operating system and you want to convert your operating system to the Windows 7 operating system using this recovery disc set, do the following before you start the recovery process:

Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.

From the Setup Utility program main menu, select Exit or Restart, and then select OS Optimized Defaults > Disabled.

Select Yes and press Enter in the window displayed to confirm your selection.

Do one of the following:

If you are using a ThinkPad or Lenovo V, B, K or E series notebook computer,press F9, select Yes in the displayed window to confirm your selection, and then press Enter.

If you are using a ThinkCentre or ThinkStation computer, continue with Step 5.

Press F10 to save your changes and exit the Setup Utility program.

Continue with Performing the recovery process for Windows 7 below.

Performing the recovery process for Windows 7

Notes:

You must have an internal or external DVD drive to use the recovery discs.

During the recovery process, all data on the hard disk drive will be deleted. Copy any important data or personal files that you want to keep onto removable media or a network drive before you start the recovery process.

To restore your computer to the original factory configuration using the recovery disc set, do the following:

Make the CD/DVD drive the first startup device in the startup sequence using the following procedure:

Repeatedly press and release the F1 key when turning on the computer. When you hear multiple beeps or see a logo screen, release the F1 key. The Setup Utility program opens.

Use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence.

Select the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device by following the instructions and the help messages on the screen.

Insert the Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc into the DVD drive.

Press F10 to save the Setup Utility configuration changes. The computer restarts and the recovery program opens. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin the recovery process.

Select your language and click Next.

Read the license. If you agree to the terms and conditions, select I agree to these terms and conditions and then click Next. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, follow the instructions on the screen.

If you install the Windows 7 (64–bit) operating system, read the messages on the

screen and then select GPT partition style or MBR partition style as you desire.

Click Yes or Next in the displayed window to continue the recovery process.

If you have a secondary Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc, insert it into the DVD drive when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.

Insert the Operating System Recovery Disc when prompted and then click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.

If you have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, insert it when prompted and click Yes. If you do not have a Supplemental Recovery Disc, click No.

Note: Not all recovery disc sets come with a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

When all of the data has been copied from the last disc in the set and processed, you will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes to restart the computer.

Note: The rest of the recovery process is fully automated and no action is required by you. The computer will restart into the Microsoft Windows desktop several timesand you might experience periods when no activity is apparent on the screen for several minutes at a time. This is normal.

When the recovery process is complete, the Set Up Windows screen is displayed. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows setup.

After you have completed the Windows setup, you might want to restore the original startup sequence. Start the Setup Utility program and then use the arrow keys to select Startup. Depending on your computer model, select Primary Boot Sequence, Boot, or Startup Sequence. Then restore the original startup sequence. Press F10 to save and exit the Setup Utility program.

Note:

After restoring a hard disk drive to the factory default settings, you might need to reinstall some device drivers

Granny is really clued up, so that will not faze her at all . :D :D :D

Guest JudgeMental
well im glad I took the advice and stuck with 7. It took me most of this morning to set up new chillblastt PC (windows 7) its so much better then my old one...lightning fast and quiet.

nowtelse2do - 2013-01-22 4:22 PM

like trying to get the wife to succumb to my charms 8-) >:-) But I keep bumbling on somehow :D :D

Dave

Do you blame her?

The poor lady can probably remember what happened to her all those years ago the last time she fell for your charms Dave!

Archived