travel insurance - long trips

Domino

I'd much appreciate any information and names of insurance companies that do long term holiday, travel insurance. The camper van vehicle insurance is fine - no limit to number or length of trips, but getting

insurance for a 68 year old healthy man is problematic. The only declared medical condition is daily lipitor for cholesterol

All the people that go to Spain etc for 2, 3 or 4 months - what holiday insurance do you have.

I have just contacted the companies mentioned in the latest issue of MMM - no joy - more expensive

than the quote I had which is annual cover for £258.50p for world wide cover (which covers 28 days in Canada in August/September, similar costs to USA for health) and 59 days in Italy May/June. This will also cover all other short/long trips during the year, but only the one 59 day one - the rest have to be 35 or 41 (can't remember).

Hi

In the EU we rely on the EHIC card and have had no problems at all over the years.

Outisde the EU we always use Insure and Go for longer trips. Their annual poilcy (max. trip 90 days) last year cost us about £140 for the two of us (mid-60s) and Jenny has two pre-existing conditions that we needed to inform them of.

johnnerontheroad - 2013-01-19 4:10 PM

Give these a try just done 140 days with medical conditions http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

Dave

I'm looking for insurance but the above Company seems to limit the maximum days per trip to 31 days on an unlimited number of trips. This is an extract from their website:

When does cover start on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

ALL cover begins on the start date chosen by you and runs for a year from that date.

Our annual multi-trip policies allow 31 days cover per trip (UK or the Channel Islands of 3 days or more), with unlimited number of trips throughout the year. Policies that include winter sports cover, allow 17 days skiing and / or snowboarding cover throughout the year

Possibly you can extend the period by negotiation but I haven't looked into that.

John 47 - 2013-01-19 1:46 PM

Hi

In the EU we rely on the EHIC card and have had no problems at all over the years.

Outisde the EU we always use Insure and Go for longer trips. Their annual poilcy (max. trip 90 days) last year cost us about £140 for the two of us (mid-60s) and Jenny has two pre-existing conditions that we needed to inform them of.

It obviously depends on your financial circumstances, but the EHIC will not cover the cost of repatriation of you, or your body, following a serious illness: say heart attack or stroke. It is these costs that make the insurance premium worthwhile for many, if not most.

If you haven't done this already, I would suggest you investigate the cost of being medically evacuated back to UK by air ambulance under medical supervision. They are eye-watering! I had a long conversation with a motorhomer who had this experience after suffering a heart attack in France. He had insurance, but saw the bills, and was astounded at the cost.

Mike88 - 2013-01-19 4:45 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2013-01-19 4:10 PM

Give these a try just done 140 days with medical conditions http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

Dave

I'm looking for insurance but the above Company seems to limit the maximum days per trip to 31 days on an unlimited number of trips. This is an extract from their website:

When does cover start on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

ALL cover begins on the start date chosen by you and runs for a year from that date.

Our annual multi-trip policies allow 31 days cover per trip (UK or the Channel Islands of 3 days or more), with unlimited number of trips throughout the year. Policies that include winter sports cover, allow 17 days skiing and / or snowboarding cover throughout the year

Possibly you can extend the period by negotiation but I haven't looked into that.

Go onto the single trip that is how you get longer.

I suspect the high premium is because you want World wide cover, if so a single trip policy for that element would probably be the most suitable & then commence a European cover annual policy on your return.

Try http://www.staysure.co.uk/travel-insurance/annual

They offer upto 183 days for Annual policy.

www.miaonline.co.uk offer 31 days, but upto 90 days for additional premium.

www.goodtogoinsurance.com offer upto 3 months.

Almost all the travel insurers seem to have their own loading for different medical conditions, so it will be a need to enter your details & see which is most suitable for your cholesterol.

My wife have numerous medical conditions & I like you have to declare cholesterol & we were much less than your quoted premium with Staysure (but European cover only)

Archived