congrats again to burstner

rudders

so burstner have won two more motorhome of the year awards, the brevio (best compact } and the ixeo time 745( best family motorhome} so in my mind they must be doing something right, funny because we were looking seriously at PVC s at the recent nec show and we just happened to walk into the burstner stand where we fell in love with the it 585, ( previous winner), we loved the spacious feel and a kitchen area bigger than most larger motorhomes, , what sold it for us was the large lounge area with a very comfortable drop down bed, build quality looks excellent, and all at less than six metres as well, and a five year damp warranty, the reason i am saying this is because our four year old british motorhome was found to have serious damp, which set us back a lot of money in the part exchange, and yes we did get a second opinion, hopefully vor sprun tecknic as they say, with the new one, . and no more british i am affraid.

rudders - 2013-01-18 7:25 PM

so burstner have won two more motorhome of the year awards, the brevio (best compact } and the ixeo time 745( best family motorhome} so in my mind they must be doing something right, funny because we were looking seriously at PVC s at the recent nec show and we just happened to walk into the burstner stand where we fell in love with the it 585, ( previous winner), we loved the spacious feel and a kitchen area bigger than most larger motorhomes, , what sold it for us was the large lounge area with a very comfortable drop down bed, build quality looks excellent, and all at less than six metres as well, and a five year damp warranty, the reason i am saying this is because our four year old british motorhome was found to have serious damp, which set us back a lot of money in the part exchange, and yes we did get a second opinion, hopefully vor sprun tecknic as they say, with the new one, . and no more british i am affraid.

Five year damp warrenty, that is rubbish, most British makers will give you longer than that. Our 2008 Swift had a ten year damp warrenty. What british van did you have that was damp after four years and was not put right under warrenty? It is euro vans that have most problems with damp, hence the short damp warrenty given by Burstner.

The Burstner vans are great. We looked at the Ixeo time it585 when it came out but it's weakness is the same as all small 'one box' designs - lack of external storage for larger items.

I actually thing the new small Ixeo Time it 590 is a better design.

The Brevio is smart and compact (I've only seen the Hymer Compact 404 in the metal and it looks great, quite tempted. However, no provision for a built in oven of any kind, even the small ones and we wouldnt want a stand alone one eating into minimal worktop and storage space.

The Overall Winner was the Pilote Reference P716LPR which I looked at this week.

It was a nice van but too similar to ours to be something I would be interested in at the moment. The design and layout were fine but, despite Peter Vaughan's mention of good quality, I did not get the same feeling neither did my wife.

Cupboards did not fit, doors would not close and most of the catches were stiff and awkward. This obsevation was true of the 4 or 5 Pilotes we looked at.

However, the 'winner' for me would be the N+B Arto 66F which has an offset island bed with good lounge and kitchen in a shade under 7 metres - shame about the price.

lennyhb - 2013-01-19 9:05 AM

British vans come with damp as standard, I thought everyone knew that. :D :D :D

Never had a damp British van, Owned a 22 year old Autosleeper, that never leaked (in it's life !)

think some of you 'hooked on foreign van' folk do exaggerate a 'mite'.

I note that out of 32 vans in the MMM shortlist for awards 20 of them were foreign manufactured, the only catagories that had UK converted vans in majority were the small 'Campervan' and 'Non fixed bed Coachbuilt' catagories.

Think that MMM are getting slightly 'Foreign skewed' now that does 'marvels' for British Jobs doesn't it ?

I wouldn't mind if the european vans were 'properly converted' for UK use. But they are not.(and because of that, I wouldn't buy one,no matter how many 'Awards' it won.)

Our UK manufactured vans wouldn't be allowed to be sold in the EU with 'Hab' doors on the 'wrong' side, so, don't think 'it's a level playing field'. Ray

Perhaps MMM should have different categories,

In each van class :-

Best British van

Best European van

Best overall

Best warranty

Oh, hang on, how many British vans are on British built base vehicles? (Like Nissan)

But folks you can only go on your own experience.

For me that is never buy anything (again) that has a cam belt.

Go for rear wheel drive where possible so that most of the weight is on the driven wheels..

Over!!

C.

I agree with what you say Clive, and if there was a motorhome based on a Toyota or a Nissan RWD Chassis, converted by say Autotrail or an Autosleeper, i'd place an order tomorrow.

I don't think there is anything wrong with British engineering or Inventive expertise, BUT our management and financial accumen are a bit .... well rubbish. ie Discover leisure, Brownhills, Bentley, Autocruise.

The Mercedes Autosleeper with Torque Auto looks good, a tad expensive, but is that RWD or FWD ? Ray

She was right and you were sensible to go with her wishes!

We were choosing some tiles for a new kitchen. She to me "Which do you like" me to her " The same ones as you" sales man to me "Smart answer. I'll use that one myself"

Been married nearly 50 years now using answers like that.

10 year warranty on your new AutoTrail bodes well. They must be confident to give that me thinks.

I dont know how you obtained a 10 year guarantee on a 2008 swift, as mine was also a 2008 swift model with only the standard 3 year manufactrurers warranty damp and all, I know that swift are now giving ten year damp warranties on all their models , however i have heard that this is because they have had to improve their models because of so many complaints of damp, trust me this is a fact, and two extra years with a burstner is a bonus to me, the damp was shall we say the icing on the cake, as we had untold problems with it during the warranty period, and did lots of mileage taking it back to the dealer, however apart from a new cab battery i must say that the ducato was a darn good and reliable vehicle, and i look forward to taking on board the euro 5 version, regarding the burstner this was our choice and i do realise that everyone is different and have their own preferences when choosing a new motorhome and a number of reasons are taken into account by each individual, we were looking for a 4 belted m/home with two extra berths for when we take our twin grandsons out, or away, this one more than met our expectations job done,

bolero boy - 2013-01-19 9:36 AM

The Overall Winner was the Pilote Reference P716LPR which I looked at this week.

It was a nice van but too similar to ours to be something I would be interested in at the moment. The design and layout were fine but, despite Peter Vaughan's mention of good quality, I did not get the same feeling neither did my wife.

Are they doing Bolero's with a drop down bed now?

WildBill - 2013-01-19 9:54 PM

Are they doing Bolero's with a drop down bed now?

Not that i know of, Bill. Did i give that impression in my post?

The Pilote has a very similar layout to ours, French bed, spacious lounge, full size cooker, decent washroom/shower. Yes, we dont have a drop down bed or the large fixed table (definitely an aquired taste) but, all in all, a similar van.

However, I will reiterate, PV perhaps didnt try as many doors and lockers as I did in assessing his 'quality' verdict. I'm afraid my two visits to the dealer's site to evaluate the brand really disappointed.

External construction seemed fine but i'm afraid the interior (lack of) fit and finish just didn't do it for me.

The Burstner vans are great. We looked at the Ixeo time it585 when it came out but it's weakness is the same as all small 'one box' designs - lack of external storage for larger items.

The Brevio is smart and compact (I've only seen the Hymer Compact 404 in the metal and it looks great, quite tempted. However, no provision for a built in oven of any kind, even the small ones and we wouldnt want a stand alone one eating into minimal worktop and storage space. ................

We looked at a Brevio in early November. I have to say I thought it a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. True, you get better high level storage than in a PVC. True, you have a coachbuilt that is PVC sized. But.............you also get a huge rear barn door that exposes the bed to whatever weather is around at the time! You get a rather crude, somewhat heavy, wooden framed folding bed that is probably fine when down but, if carrying cycles as they seem to imagine you will, the bikes have to go outside and you then have to make the bed from scratch. The galley is rudimentary, and is no better than provided on many PVCs, despite there being space for better. Washroom benefited compared to PVCs by being squarer in cross section, but little more. However, the van we saw had been in the rain, and the tailgate was beaded with water. When it was opened to demonstrate its piece de resistance, it promptly shot most of its water off the top edge, and straight into the van! Ah! No water seal on the hinge edge!

If the galley and washroom were upgraded to more normal coachbuilt standard, the bed made permanent and hinged at the back edge, and the rear door reduced in size to give access only to the under-bed space, it could be an extremely appealing compact coachbuilt that might suit the many motorhomers who find PVCs just that bit too cramped. As it is, it somehow seems to combine the worst of both breeds, and few of the advantages of either except for overall size. I was a bit surprised they'd bothered. Having had a Burstner in 2005, I thought their 2013 offerings had generally veered away from practicality in favour of frilliness and fussiness. Bit disappointing, really. :-(

Brian Kirby - 2013-01-20 12:45 PM

The Brevio is smart and compact (I've only seen the Hymer Compact 404 in the metal and it looks great, quite tempted. However, no provision for a built in oven of any kind, even the small ones and we wouldnt want a stand alone one eating into minimal worktop and storage space. ................

We looked at a Brevio in early November. I have to say I thought it a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. True, you get better high level storage than in a PVC. True, you have a coachbuilt that is PVC sized. But.............you also get a huge rear barn door that exposes the bed to whatever weather is around at the time! You get a rather crude, somewhat heavy, wooden framed folding bed that is probably fine when down but, if carrying cycles as they seem to imagine you will, the bikes have to go outside and you then have to make the bed from scratch. The galley is rudimentary, and is no better than provided on many PVCs, despite there being space for better. Washroom benefited compared to PVCs by being squarer in cross section, but little more. However, the van we saw had been in the rain, and the tailgate was beaded with water. When it was opened to demonstrate its piece de resistance, it promptly shot most of its water off the top edge, and straight into the van! Ah! No water seal on the hinge edge!

If the galley and washroom were upgraded to more normal coachbuilt standard, the bed made permanent and hinged at the back edge, and the rear door reduced in size to give access only to the under-bed space, it could be an extremely appealing compact coachbuilt that might suit the many motorhomers who find PVCs just that bit too cramped. As it is, it somehow seems to combine the worst of both breeds, and few of the advantages of either except for overall size. I was a bit surprised they'd bothered. Having had a Burstner in 2005, I thought their 2013 offerings had generally veered away from practicality in favour of frilliness and fussiness. Bit disappointing, really. :-(

Brian, I would have my bikes mounted on the outside pivoting purpose built rack and left the bed made up (except, possibly, for use as a load carrier when not camping) and just used the largish storage under the bed for table, chairs etc.

Used in this way i thing is it far superior to a panel van conversion in that it is a much better, roomier shape, has far better insulation (if you keep the door shut!) and has a more comfortable lounge and washroom.

However...................the galley is not really good enough and overall not quite big enough for us.

We too thought that the Burstner Brevio could be the compromise between Coachbuilt and a PVC. We wanted to love it, primarily for its width. We saw it at the NEC and then went for a second look at Southdowns over the Christmas period- and have totally discounted it.

We have had 2 previous vans with fixed French beds- one of which was a Burstner. ( Guess which one!) We have enjoyed both our vans and particularly, in comparison to the Brevio, we don't need to look at all our accumulated stuff which goes under the bed! Both lounges have been comfortable and neither kitchen or bathroom has been so compromised. The lounge in the Brevio is basic, the finish nothing to write home about and the bathroom nothing special. Basically nothing to love! Our Delfin was a really smart van with a superb finish.

We have a Rapido 707F, which we do love, but would like to change next year so we have a fairly new van to retire with. We would like to stay with Rapido but their new small vans are not in the league of the van we own at present. Their 700 looks good but drop down beds are fine if you are not tall- my husband is 6'2''and he cannot get from the cab to the back of these vans without danger of decapitation! Then there is the matter of decent storage for our kayak, loungers etc- none of the vans with drop down beds allow for any of this. Outside storage is zilch.

What we would really like is a coachbuilt van with a bed across the back, over a decent garage and with a small but comfortable lounge- and under 6m. The only one we have seen which comes up to the mark in terms of quality and finish is the Laika 595R. Maybe the end of the year will bring some new vans on to the market to give us a choice- but it won't be the Brevio!

You may like the Burstner Travel Van, Hymer Van, one of the Dethleffs Globebus range, or the Knaus Van TI. All of these are at, or only just over, 6.6 metres long, and all are under 2.3 metres wide. If you are prepared to look at LHD, I believe the Adria Compact is still being produced, but not in RHD form. My personal objection to the Laika is it's width, though I accept that is probably necessary for bed length if tall. Can't win, can you? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-01-20 7:40 PM

You may like the Burstner Travel Van, Hymer Van, one of the Dethleffs Globebus range, or the Knaus Van TI. All of these are at, or only just over, 6.6 metres long, and all are under 2.3 metres wide. If you are prepared to look at LHD, I believe the Adria Compact is still being produced, but not in RHD form. My personal objection to the Laika is it's width, though I accept that is probably necessary for bed length if tall. Can't win, can you? :-D

Sorry, typo! The above should have read 6.0 metres long!

Thank-you Brian and Bolero Boy. We have looked at the vans you mention but as you say, there is always something not quite right. We don't really want to go down the A-class route, being quite happy with a low-profile coachbuilt. The Laika is wide, but no more than our Rapido. We would prefer narrower - hence the idea of the Brevio- but we have to compromise somewhere and at the moment the Laika has all the other things we are looking for. We have taken our present van into some tight spots on sites in Italy and Croatia-unintentionally-and a couple of inches narrower would be good but we also camp in the winter in Germany/ Holland and some comfort is required.

Anyway, we will keep looking. It's all part of the fun!!!

Afternoon all,

I too loked at the brevia but it is little better than my Adria twin. The lift up tailgate is no real advantage but the lounge area is not any bigger than the one we have now, also the cost of panel replacement will be more etc.

norm

Archived