Fiat X2/50 replacement key

colin

JudgeMental - 2013-02-02 12:32 PM

Colin did you only get one key with van...thats a bit odd

No we got two keys, one with remote and one plain key, but gf managed to lose the plain key, but apparently it was my fault as I distracted her, so much for women and multi tasking *-)

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-02-02 4:44 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-02-02 12:32 PM

Colin did you only get one key with van...thats a bit odd

No we got two keys, one with remote and one plain key, but gf managed to lose the plain key, but apparently it was my fault as I distracted her, so much for women and multi tasking *-)

Indeed.......just tried my spare key and while it opens door and starts engine alarm still blaring so not that practical I guess! *-)

Its a cat 1 alarm i had fitted not the fiat one..

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-22 3:09 PM

This is probably the Leicester company Nick mentioned earlier

http://www.bouldins.com/Services.htm

Timpson's key cutting/programming services are described here

http://www.timpson.co.uk/services/66/non-remote-car-keys

Hi Derek,

These sites do not appear to list Fiat in their products. Being someone who needed a new key not so long ago for a Fiat Punto I was told by a number of companies that the reason Fiat was one of those car manufacturers that it necessary to to the dealers for was that Fiat would not release the programmes the new key-cutting machines relied upon in order to replicate the keys. Incidently ,at that time about 4yrs ago, the cost from Fiat was £90+ for the key and about £30 for the programming. RIP-OFF hey

cheers

derek

cheers

derek pringle - 2013-02-06 10:44 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-22 3:09 PM

This is probably the Leicester company Nick mentioned earlier

http://www.bouldins.com/Services.htm

Timpson's key cutting/programming services are described here

http://www.timpson.co.uk/services/66/non-remote-car-keys

Hi Derek,

These sites do not appear to list Fiat in their products. Being someone who needed a new key not so long ago for a Fiat Punto I was told by a number of companies that the reason Fiat was one of those car manufacturers that it necessary to to the dealers for was that Fiat would not release the programmes the new key-cutting machines relied upon in order to replicate the keys. Incidently ,at that time about 4yrs ago, the cost from Fiat was £90+ for the key and about £30 for the programming. RIP-OFF hey

cheers

derek

cheers

I wasn't suggesting that Bouldins or Timpsons could provide Fiat keys - I just provided links to their websites.

The Autotechnix website I gave a link to later advertises a Fiat key-provision capability, but it's usefullness (and cost) will depend on the vehicle involved and what type of key is required.

http://www.autotechnix.co.uk/Fiat-Car-Keys(2706714).htm

derek pringle - 2013-02-06 10:44 AM

Hi Derek,

cheers

derek

cheers

When initialy ordering our key it took several minutes before the 'machine' reconised the key and confirmed it could be got, we where also warned that if the van had fiat alarm it might not work. The coding of the replacement transponder took quite some time and the lady said that when they took that long it was normaly a sign theu wouldn't work also it took an extra step to code transponder.

• 1 month later...

We only have one 'remote' key and one standard key with our Fiat and we want to both have 'remote' keys so I've read this with interest.

I appear to have 2 options:

1. Get a second remote key from Fiat at a cost of around £250 including programming etc.

2. Get an extra alarm installed with 2 remote key fobs (includes Thatcham 2 to 1 immobiliser upgrade and interior sensors) for around £290.

We aren't actually bothered about upgrading the alarm, however, as the cost isn't that different and it would then give us a Cat 1 immobiliser which should reduce the insurance a bit, can I please have your views on which to go for.

Two points asuming you have the standard Fiat alarm.:

1. Are you sure that increasing security from Thatcham 2 to Thatcham 1 will have a significant effect on your insurance premium?

2. Is it really worth having 2 remotes? All you need to do with the second key is use it to open the door. When the alarm sounds insert the key in the ignition and the alarm will stop. That process will take less than a couple of seconds. Alternatively, if you are leaving the van for a few minutes and in a safe place, press the disarm alarm function on the dashboard and lock the van with the key.

Mike88 - 2013-03-25 5:13 PM

Two points asuming you have the standard Fiat alarm.:

1. Are you sure that increasing security from Thatcham 2 to Thatcham 1 will have a significant effect on your insurance premium?

As this is a 'secondary' benefit, and I know it will make some difference, it is something to consider.

2. Is it really worth having 2 remotes? All you need to do with the second key is use it to open the door. When the alarm sounds insert the key in the ignition and the alarm will stop. That process will take less than a couple of seconds. Alternatively, if you are leaving the van for a few minutes and in a safe place, press the disarm alarm function on the dashboard and lock the van with the key.

Yes we can, and have, done this but as we sometimes go back to the van separately, especially on a night if we've been out walking the dogs, then we will disturb the 'neighbours' if the one who's got the remote key isn't the first one back! :D

We're not rushing into this as the first thing to get sorted is the external gas tank so we may give it a bit longer and see how we get on. :-)

Mel B - 2013-03-25 3:52 PM

1. Get a second remote key from Fiat at a cost of around £250 including programming etc.

Mel, get a quote from some more dealers I can't believe they have gone up by a 100 quid in the last couple of years they were approx £150 inc. programming.

All the after market alarms that I looked at that brought the van up to Cat1 wired into the canbus loom and are operated by the Fiat remote key.

Mel wrote: "We're not rushing into this as the first thing to get sorted is the external gas tank so we may give it a bit longer and see how we get on."

As an aside you might wish to check some old posts on Swift Talk (with which you have become very familiar) where Swift advise against fitting external tanks on a panel van conversion. I know Autosleepers fit a gas tank on the Warwick but this is something you may wish to check if, like me, you have grounding issues on a similar vehicle (Swift Mondial).

• 3 years later...
colin - 2013-01-19 12:10 PM

Need a spare non remote key for the van, local Fiat professional dealer quotes £300 to £310, have tried local locksmiths using www.autolocksmiths.net but still need to get key throu Fiat so not able to give a better quote.

Any one got a key from elsewhere?

My thoughts are to get a non chipped key cut just to use to get in van as it doesnt have a Fiat alarm to worry about, but will that upset system?

You can get the a spare non remote from the local store Or you may try different dealers or Locksmiths to see who has the lowest price?...

We bought a new remote key from Peugeot and it cost £261 2 months ago. The old key kept discharging the battery as I think the printed circuit board was knackered. It would start the engine and also open the driver's door to gain access to the vehicle with out a battery in the key similar to the spare non remote/ There is a company in Wrexham which I found out later that could have done the job a £100 less.

Hi,

The reason the keys are expensive is because the transponder needs to be precoded to your vehicle. This comes from Italy. Secondly, once the garage/dealer gets your precoded transponder, it then needs to programmed to the vehicle using diagnostic equipment.

Many locksmiths tend to just clone your existing key transponder which is much cheaper.

Al

You can find replacement fobs on Ebay for MUCH cheaper than what the dealer or a Locksmith charges (****, there's a 6-pack for $76 now). This is true whether you have the Keyless go system or the FOBIK "fake key" system. However, you cannot program the fob to the vehicle yourself. You'll need to take all fobs into the dealer or Locksmith and they will re-learn them to the system. For that they will probably charge you an hour's worth of labor.

asafashkenazi63 - 2016-08-11 9:47 AM

You can find replacement fobs on Ebay for MUCH cheaper than what the dealer or a Locksmith charges (****, there's a 6-pack for $76 now). This is true whether you have the Keyless go system or the FOBIK "fake key" system. However, you cannot program the fob to the vehicle yourself. You'll need to take all fobs into the dealer or Locksmith and they will re-learn them to the system. For that they will probably charge you an hour's worth of labor.

That's all very well but you are in the US and we are in the UK!

And you are advertising your own company so consider this post SPAM!!!

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-08-11 11:11 AM

asafashkenazi63 - 2016-08-11 9:47 AM

That's all very well but you are in the US and we are in the UK!

And you are advertising your own company so consider this post SPAM!!!

Keith.

Keith

He must be selling on e-bay??

Archived