Tyres slashed wild camping

ham

lennyhb - 2013-01-21 7:24 PM

Tracker - 2013-01-21 4:57 PM

malc d - 2013-01-21 4:00 PM

I think you have just invented a new phrase: Herd Camping

Definition : "A group of motorhomers who find Aires and Campsites too spacious"

:-D

Herd Camping definition - a large group of caravanners and motorcaravanners who feel the need to huddle together for safety every night in a secure compound also known as a 'camp site' which has a high fence and a secure gate to keep them safe from the bogey man!

Like it Rich. :D :D :D

Thanks Lenny - thought you might - I'm still waiting for the flack from the herds of site huggers!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter James - 2013-01-20 3:10 PM

Clive - 2013-01-20 2:56 PM

Wild camping is illegal in Portugal,

We were moved on by the police.

Think on!

C.

Camping Yes, Parking No. ;-)

Camping is when you set up anything outside, awnings, chairs etc.

If you keep everything inside the van, then its Parking. :-)

That's certainly the legal definition in France Peter, but it certainly ISN'T the law here in the UK, and I've no idea whether it is in Portugal or not. "Europe" isn't just one place - not yet anyway!

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-21 7:57 PM

Where's Henry when you need him ;-)

In France skiing, although not yet today, shopping with the wife and just stopped for a coffee where this wifi connection is coming from. I have said enough about all the poor b*****s who cannot afford campsites or a decent aire, thinking of setting up a charity for them. Still nice to hear the same old reasons trotted out about why they do it always followed by the line 'it is not about the money', of course not. Still must get the shopping home and get some skiing in the afternoon.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-01-22 9:16 AM

In France skiing, although not yet today, shopping with the wife and just stopped for a coffee where this wifi connection is coming from. I have said enough about all the poor b*****s who cannot afford campsites or a decent aire, thinking of setting up a charity for them. Still nice to hear the same old reasons trotted out about why they do it always followed by the line 'it is not about the money', of course not. Still must get the shopping home and get some skiing in the afternoon.

Watch you don't break your neck, you'd be sorely missed by us Aire users. :D

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 10:34 PM

You think? :D

Guest Peter James

I don't have a motorhome, just a commercial van loaded with furniture as my tax disc proves ;-)

Clive - 2013-01-21 12:29 PM

Are you going to have your legal argument with a gun toting load of foreign police at 0230 in the morning??

C.

Not something I have ever experienced but fair comment, it might be harder to explain to them the DVLC classification on my tax disc :-|

I am now parked in Monchique taking advantage of the free WiFi in the main square - following the itinery on the Baxterbus blog and drove up the foia mountain today. I didn't get any clearer photos than they did though - despite the bright sunshine and 24 degrees it was too misty to see the coast. A great drive though and a good road - just leads to a parking area at the top, then you turn around and drive back down. The road is signposted from the main square where I am now.

Would be great if they did the same in Britain and built decent roads so that we could drive up to the top of the mountains in Britain. The view from Rivington Pike is as good as Foia but you certainly wouldn't be able to drive up that road in a motorhome!

Guest Peter James

For me its about going where you want, staying as long as you want, then moving on. Campsites restrict you from doing that. For instance I have happily camped in Central London (Weekends) London Docklands (Weekdays). Where are the Campsites there?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Peter James - 2013-01-30 9:40 PM

For me its about going where you want, staying as long as you want, then moving on. Campsites restrict you from doing that. For instance I have happily camped in Central London (Weekends) London Docklands (Weekdays). Where are the Campsites there?

A pm where would be handy,the missus is always going on about a visit, last time we were out at a CCC site with no public transport to get anywhere, which was a waste of time and money :'(

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-01-30 11:23 PM

At the risk of another onslaught :-) Caravan Club site at Crystal Palace: N51.42599 W0.07422 It's inside the LEZ. Bus outside to central London, Crystal Palace railway station across park to Victoria. Open all year.

No I've just done that on Mel b,s heating thread, thanks for that info though, lets call of the war, I'm getting too old for all this b*****ks :-|

Guest Peter James

Well, there are still lots of motorhomes wild camping in Sagres, and the rest of the Algarve this week. The motorhomes in Sagres wild camp in 2 main areas.

1) The 2 tier car park overlooking the beach - the lower level of which is shown in the Baxterbus photo. According to the guy in the Tourist Office this is private property, and there are notices apparently banning the parking of caravans between 20hr and 08hr. But there were plenty of motorhomes overnighting on there when I was there this week.

2) The large car park in front of the Fort. According to the guy in the Tourist Office, this is the only place where motorhomes can officially park overnight in Sagres. Lots of motorhomes overnighting there too. But it doesn't have a particularly nice view like the beach car park does.

Back to the tyre slashing. From what I have been told there appears to have been an altercation between motorhomers, with one coming back to slash the others tyres in revenge. I suppose this could happen almost anywhere? I have heard of fights breaking out on campsites (over a noisy generator - more difficult to move away from noisy neighnbours on a campsite perhaps?)

In any case it certainly doesn't seem to have deterred wild camping in Portugal. Following the Baxterbus Itinery I have been to Silves today - there were 3 free car parks with motorhomes on, 2 of which had over 100 motorhomes each at a rough count. And that was early afternoon when some would presumably be away for the day.

Incidentally, the Baxters could have continued through Elvas to the car park by the Castle and parked up there overnight with a great view - I did. But I parked at the lower car park and walked through the town first to see which streets were passable.

Currently parked by the Church in Boliqueime (The village Clive Dunn lived near) using the free wifi. Have had no success with Mc Donalds WiFi i in Portugal.

1293452437_sagresbeachcarpark.jpg.7b9dbbefcacccfe3623cc76da62ac5e1.jpg

Guest Peter James

In France skiing, although not yet today, shopping with the wife and just stopped for a coffee where this wifi connection is coming from. I have said enough about all the poor b*****s who cannot afford campsites or a decent aire, thinking of setting up a charity for them. Still nice to hear the same old reasons trotted out about why they do it always followed by the line 'it is not about the money', of course not.

I have moved down the street in Boliquieme because the church bells were doing my head in. Unlike the Baxters who were stuck on a campsite where they weren't comfortable, its so easy to move when wilding. Being surrounded by buildings I did not have their problems with winds buffeting the van keeping them awake. Or their problems with public transport getting to and from the campsite - I just park up right there. Thats why I like wild camping. Its a pity you can't see beyond money Rupert :'(

Peter James - 2013-02-03 7:05 AM

In France skiing, although not yet today, shopping with the wife and just stopped for a coffee where this wifi connection is coming from. I have said enough about all the poor b*****s who cannot afford campsites or a decent aire, thinking of setting up a charity for them. Still nice to hear the same old reasons trotted out about why they do it always followed by the line 'it is not about the money', of course not.

I have moved down the street in Boliquieme because the church bells were doing my head in. Unlike the Baxters who were stuck on a campsite where they weren't comfortable, its so easy to move when wilding. Being surrounded by buildings I did not have their problems with winds buffeting the van keeping them awake. Or their problems with public transport getting to and from the campsite - I just park up right there. Thats why I like wild camping. Its a pity you can't see beyond money Rupert :'(

Back from skiing yesterday so quick catch up on here. I cannot see beyound the Money Peter because that is the only good reason to keep on with this anti social activity. In your own words a couple of paosts back you talk about over a hundred vans on a carpark, 'wild camping', you are having a laugh. Why can you not move on from a campsite or an aire, we do, never book and never confirm length of stay, in fact in europe never been asked, just pay when you leave. I repeat only reason that makes any sense, to save money.

Peter James - 2013-02-03 7:05 AM

I have moved down the street in Boliquieme because the church bells were doing my head in. Unlike the Baxters who were stuck on a campsite where they weren't comfortable, its so easy to move when wilding.

(

Can't think why anyone should be " stuck on a campsite where they are not comfortable "

I've never had any trouble moving on from a campsite - it's just a question of starting your engine, and off you go.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh blimey this old chestnut again, why can't everyone accept we all have different needs. I'm reminded of one of the last sites we stayed on in France, all quite nice and settled for the evening, although almost full though, then some English ****head arrived and thought we all needed entertaining with his three terriers yapping their heads off.

Too late we'd paid our dosh, and were stuck with it, I largely dislike the human race, so we tend to seek out 3 / 5 van aires, the same reason we only use CL's and CS sites in the UK, less people normally equates to less hassle. and unwanted noise ;-) On many occasions even on aires, and certainly on the CL network can be just as pricey as a site, but suits us better, we don't need showers, we don't need entertainment, and we don't need a pool, end of.

Too true Mike, poor old Henry just can't get it can he. We can understand why he likes to get locked up on sites at night but he has a totally blinkered view of wild camping and believes the only way to wild camp is in a car park with hundreds of others, so far from the real truth. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

ive been wild camping in the caravan & it was brilliant to wake up in the middle of nowhere with the sun streaming through the windows & the sound of the river trickling nearby, if i had a campervan i would be wild camping much more as i allways thought that was what a campervan was designed for, get in the drivers seat drive till you findsomewhere nice to stop (or stop onroute to your destination)

we all have different ideas about touring but some people do actually love wild camping & it has nothing to do with saving a couple of ££££, more about not being so snobby that you cant dream of going without ehc & somewhere to empty the toilet out

jam151 - 2013-02-04 6:52 PM

ive been wild camping in the caravan & it was brilliant to wake up in the middle of nowhere with the sun streaming through the windows & the sound of the river trickling nearby, if i had a campervan i would be wild camping much more as i always thought that was what a campervan was designed for, get in the drivers seat drive till you find somewhere nice to stop (or stop enroute to your destination)

We all have different ideas about touring but some people do actually love wild camping & it has nothing to do with saving a couple of ££££, more about not being so snobby that you cant dream of going without ehc & somewhere to empty the toilet out.

You have to remember that a good 90% of MH'ers take everything including the proverbial 'kitchen sink' with them! Not unusual to see huge vans the minute they park up anywhere, the satellite dish flirts up and starts whizzing around (powered naturally.....saves them getting off their arse!), then the flat screen goes on.

I do sometimes wonder what some folk go away for as all they do is take their home lifestyle with them.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bulletguy - 2013-02-04 9:17 PM

jam151 - 2013-02-04 6:52 PM

ive been wild camping in the caravan & it was brilliant to wake up in the middle of nowhere with the sun streaming through the windows & the sound of the river trickling nearby, if i had a campervan i would be wild camping much more as i always thought that was what a campervan was designed for, get in the drivers seat drive till you find somewhere nice to stop (or stop enroute to your destination)

We all have different ideas about touring but some people do actually love wild camping & it has nothing to do with saving a couple of ££££, more about not being so snobby that you cant dream of going without ehc & somewhere to empty the toilet out.

You have to remember that a good 90% of MH'ers take everything including the proverbial 'kitchen sink' with them! Not unusual to see huge vans the minute they park up anywhere, the satellite dish flirts up and starts whizzing around (powered naturally.....saves them getting off their arse!), then the flat screen goes on.

I do sometimes wonder what some folk go away for as all they do is take their home lifestyle with them.

And of course that's complete on sites with their "spotless" facilities. I'm always bemused why anyone would want to sit on a loo,a few hundred others have that day, :D :D

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 9:39 PM

And of course that's complete on sites with their "spotless" facilities. I'm always bemused why anyone would want to sit on a loo,a few hundred others have that day, :D :D

Nowt wrong with swapping a bit of bum sweat :D .................or for the more particular use a layer of bog roll ;-).......................lets face it >:-)..................Most of you lot on here use to share a bog with the whole street in the good old days :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-02-04 9:58 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 9:39 PM

Nowt wrong with swapping a bit of bum sweat :D .................or for the more particular use a layer of bog roll ;-).......................lets face it >:-)..................Most of you lot on here use to share a bog with the whole street in the good old days :D

Yes and argue who's turn it was to put some newspaper on the meat hook :D that always left an impression, and may be the reason I've never liked sharing since, especially after Mr Hodges had been on the Brown ale :-S

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 10:34 PM

Would you trust the word of someone who hurls them self down a mountain strapped to two planks ?? 8-)

Archived