Tyres slashed wild camping

ham

Guest 1footinthegrave
Don't I just love food snobbery, many own brands are exactly the same as premium brands made by the same companies but packaged in a budget own brand packet. This is much the same in electronics on some occasions. Many independent tests have shown them to be superior in many cases. I particularly enjoyed one program blind testing wines with some so called wine experts who almost to a man could not tell a premium priced wine from a plonk one. Mind you I can't either, but I'm not an expert :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GLAMPING - A term used for anyone who camps with every conceivable amenity and luxury provided.

This is a genuine word and one I will certainly use in the future when referring to the way in which some members use their motorhomes.

Yours sincerely ........ a mild camper. :D

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2013-02-06 7:47 PM

GLAMPING - A term used for anyone who camps with every conceivable amenity and luxury provided.

This is a genuine word and one I will certainly use in the future when referring to the way in which some members use their motorhomes.

You mean you don't have a chandelier in your awning *-).......................We do :D

Guest JudgeMental

must admit the term mild camping does make me chuckle and is far more accurate! :D

what I cant get my head around, where do these 100 camped on wasteland spot get rid of all the pooh etc..have asked many times but yet to have a satisfactory explanation...... So every other day about 50 of the 100 go around looking for water and dump sites and toilets?..Some holiday!lol when you can get a lovely site with pool etc...for 10€ a night 8-)

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-02-06 8:24 PM

must admit the term mild camping does make me chuckle and is far more accurate! :D

what I cant get my head around, where do these 100 camped on wasteland spot get rid of all the pooh etc..have asked many times but yet to have a satisfactory explanation...... So every other day about 50 of the 100 go around looking for water and dump sites and toilets..Some holiday!lol when you can get a lovely site with pool etc...for 10€ a night 8-)

It's called a manhole Eddie ;-)...................now I think I know why 8-)

747 - 2013-02-06 7:47 PM

An Oxford Dictionary definition of glamping that I have come across is:

" a form of camping involving accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping "

.... luxuries like running water, comfy bed, shower, cooker, fridge, a heater etc etc

Sounds very much to me like anyone using a motorhome.

It would seem that where it is parked is irrelevant.

:-D

Commercially the word is already in use for those huge ' tents ' with wooden floors - and all mod cons.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-06 8:24 PMmust admit the term mild camping does make me chuckle and is far more accurate! :Dwhat I cant get my head around, where do these 100 camped on wasteland spot get rid of all the pooh etc..have asked many times but yet to hav, here in Portugal one simply lifts an ESCOTIS  cover, e a satisfactory explanation...... So every other day about 50 of the 100 go around looking for water and dump sites and toilets?..Some holiday!lol when you can get a lovely site with pool etc...for 10€ a night 8-)
Quite simple that here in Portugal one simply lifts an ESCOTIS drain cover [sEWER] and tips ones toilet and waste water  down that all legal and above board, in Spain the drain is called a SANIMENTO and are all clearly marked , next question ?

Yeah your right. Real wild camping is in a tent. Not that long ago me and some friends decided it would be fun to go wilding up in the Orkneys in winter. We set off in a VW camper and after what seemed like the epic journey to end all epic journeys (I could have been in Austraila quicker) I ended up in a tent on a beach on Orkney.

After a few sherberts I settled down for the night only to be woken up in the early hours by some strange honking and slapping noises. Fearing for my lfie and freezing cold the monster (it was definately a killer Orkney Monster) got closer and closer to my tent. I could hear its snarly breath and then it lunged itself at the side of the tent caving it in. It was huge, like a big maggot shaped slab against the side of the tent. In desperation I punched it as hard as I could. It let out an awful wailing sound and retreated.

After a restless few hours dawn eventully came and I unzipped the tent to be greated not more then a few feet away by three bobbing heads. Seals. Clearly it was their beach and wild campers were not welcome!

IMO living in a motorhome wherever can't really be called camping. Camping has to involve tents. Even trailer tents are borderline.

All motorhomers are glampers, it's just that a few are wild glampers, who look down on mild glampers.

A few more are mild glampers, who look up to wild glampers, but look down on tame glampers.

Tame glampers look up to no-one, because they have no desire to be mild or wild, but are heartily glad the milds and the wilds live in the belief that all campsites are crowded and regimented, and plagued with insanitary toilets and verrucas - which of course they would be if the wilders and milders were all to descend upon them! :-D One instinctively knows when something is right! We boldly go! :D

Barryd999 - 2013-02-06 9:48 PM

After a few sherberts I settled down for the night only to be woken up in the early hours by some strange honking and slapping noises....

" ..must...resist urge....to post....smutty...innuendo....?!?" :D

Vindiboy...you said "next question?"..

...I've got one.... ;-)

So what about countries where that isn't "legal and above board" to dump it down a manhole?...do they have "Radar keys" on the Continent? ;-)

1268267328_Problemsolved!.jpg.a1654a2861b612ea890a20c7ed2e451b.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-02-06 3:10 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-06 2:47 PM

A Lidl car park late at night when you are just looking for a bit of kip en-route seems OK to me. Or would you prefer I disturbed you either on arrival or early departure. You can't win can you, damned of you do,damned if you don't :-S

Just remember you said that,the next time you encounter a supermarket carpark with a height barrier.. ;-)

(..that probably got installed because the shop owners/local residents got fed up with it being used as an impromptu leisure vehicle encampment... ;-) )

Besides,I had you down as more of a Waitrose kind of chap...? (lol)

was in John lewis yesterday (waitrose same company?) and they have height restrictions..I was in camper so had to park in currys carpark next door it was very demeaning... :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm aware that some on here have disabilities and adapted Motor homes, they are effectively discriminated against in trying to get access to these places more and more, how do they get away with that. ? >:-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-07 12:52 PM

I'm aware that some on here have disabilities and adapted Motor homes, they are effectively discriminated against in trying to get access to these places more and more, how do they get away with that. ? >:-(

Hmmm...It's certainly an interesting point 1foot'...

..but here's a thought...maybe there'd be far fewer height barriers,if some "Wilders" hadn't been "pitching" where they shouldn't ...? ;-)

Do you really not see any connection..? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
I think they are probably more concerned with rubbish being dumped out of hours and tinkers like YOU LOT setting up camp!!!! :D

pepe63 - 2013-02-06 6:48 PM

vindiboy - 2013-02-06 6:14 PM

...I was wild camping on the Quarteira fish market  with about 50 other vans and in the morning of the fourth night at 8am I was  woken by the police and fined 30 Euros and told that all must use the new Aire. Wild Camping is NOT about being too tight to pay for a camp site it is about  not being herded in small areas such as Campsites....

..eh? :-S "...50 other vans..". and yet wildcamping is, ."...about not being herded.." ?

(lol) ;-)[/quote

I read this and found it perplexing too, when I park up i like at least 4 metres between me and the next van, NO matter where that is. If Someone was to pull in closer than that,I would move.

Has anyone ever seen a Motorhome/caravan on fire ?? I have, it was a Caravan (so no motive fuel aboard). And that was bad enough, anything closer than 4 metres would have caught fire too.

Not against Wild camping, or Aires, providing the 4 metre rule applies, preferably, on my own with a lovely view. otherwise I'll stay on sites. (well run ones,hopefully). Ray

Yeah your right. Real wild camping is in a tent. Not that long ago me and some friends decided it would be fun to go wilding up in the Orkneys in winter. We set off in a VW camper and after what seemed like the epic journey to end all epic journeys (I could have been in Austraila quicker) I ended up in a tent on a beach on Orkney.

After a few sherberts I settled down for the night only to be woken up in the early hours by some strange honking and slapping noises. Fearing for my lfie and freezing cold the monster (it was definately a killer Orkney Monster) got closer and closer to my tent. I could hear its snarly breath and then it lunged itself at the side of the tent caving it in. It was huge, like a big maggot shaped slab against the side of the tent. In desperation I punched it as hard as I could. It let out an awful wailing sound and retreated.

After a restless few hours dawn eventully came and I unzipped the tent to be greated not more then a few feet away by three bobbing heads. Seals. Clearly it was their beach and wild campers were not welcome!

Some of those 'Orkney Women' are really 'pushy' aren't they ?

Rayjsj - 2013-02-07 3:22 PM

Some of those 'Orkney Women' are really 'pushy' aren't they ?

Ha Ha! (lol)

Actually some of those Orkney Women are really fit! A lot of them are blond and scandenavian looking. Something to do with the whaling fleets visiting in the 60's I think.

Are you saying that it is OK to discriminate against able bodied motorhomes but not disabled ones?

That surely would be discrimination?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-02-07 7:20 PM

Are you saying that it is OK to discriminate against able bodied motorhomes but not disabled ones?

That surely would be discrimination?

No Tracker, exactly the opposite, why should any of us not be able to go on to a supermarket car park to buy provisions from them. Add in to that that many ( my wife included ) although not officially disabled, non the less cannot walk that well, never mind try to lug shopping with me over a much greater distance than otherwise would be the case. If my money is good enough in my car, why isn't it in our van, that's all. ;-)

We had a DHSS family living in a lovely rented (by you and I) bungalow across the road from us.

They even had 'guests' staying in the garage and in a converted horsebox which was parked outside for weeks on end.

They kept a trailer tent (belonging to the wife's father) on the grass verge outside, officially on the highway. In order to get their 'deposit' back on the let they were told to move the trailer tent. Guess what, next day, after they had moved on to their next accommodation (beautiful 4 bedroomed house in a very desirable village a few miles away) it appeared outside my garage.

After a couple od days I contacted the council who eventually got the father to remove it (after about three weeks.

It was towed yesterday although i didnt see it being removed.

But Now.................in its place, a crappy old converted van has appeared in the same place, right outside my garage and blocking the view from my kitchen window.

Coincidence?.........................my enquiry to the Council was 'confidential'.......................

What's the position on 'wilding' in the street in a residential area?

I shall be checking road tax.etc later.

Any recommendations......................hand grenades, bulldozer.....................

Guest JudgeMental
Someone parked a car on my drive..called council and as I live in a private road they refused to move it...I towed its out onto adjacent road and left it there it was moved within a couple of hours. I don't think I pay any less council rates then others.....

thanks Eddie.

Mystery now solved..............neighbour (loads of cars to tinker with on his drive) did mention the other day that he was interested in getting a van. Well, he got one only it didnt quite make it ti his place (horrible noises from engine/clutch) so he turned it off outside our place but forgot to say it was his!

Came home just now and he had his head under the bonnet and the air was blue!

Trying to get his money back off the two old biddies he got it from.....

Archived