IPad help please

johnsue

Hi

We have Apple IPad with 3G & have purchased Movistar SIM card ( we are in Spain)Also we have just signed up for the expat VPN . We can now access BBC I player but when we try to access SkyGo we get a message " to watch over 3G visit settings & enable location services to continue watching"

Anybody any ideas?

We are using the sim as we don't have free WiFi on site.

Was hoping to watch the Sky Sports 1 footie today.

Thanks in anticipation

:-(

Randonneur - 2013-01-20 11:12 AM

As far as I am aware you cannot use SkyGo if you are outside on the UK. It knows that you are on the Internet via a foreign provider. I have tried this previously.

That's why he is tunnelling the internet traffic through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2013-01-20 11:14 AM

As far as I am aware you cannot use SkyGo if you are outside on the UK. It knows that you are on the Internet via a foreign provider. I have tried this previously.

That's why he is tunnelling the internet traffic through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Yes it says you can access country soecific content but makes no actual mention of SKy. They have support, probably worth contacting....

https://www.expatvpn.org/

Hi,

The VPN has no effect on the 3G SIM, Randonneur is correct the SkyGo service it detecting the non UK 3G access, so won't operate.

You would need to use the VPN service via a Wifi line based internet provider for it to be able to mask where you are actually using it from ?

SORRY IGNORE THE ABOVE JUST READ THE LINK GIVEN ABOVE IT APPEARS IT SHOULD WORK< BE VERY INTERESTED IN TH OUTCOME

sean.clarke - 2013-01-20 11:14 AM

(!) (!)

This make me wonder if because the ip address that sky go can see is a known VPN server in the UK the app uses location services (GPS) to determine the geo-location of the ipad and thus deeming that the ipad is outside the allowable service area it will not allow viewing. I will try to find out more.

Dr Dave - 2013-01-20 11:47 AM

This make me wonder if because the ip address that sky go can see is a known VPN server in the UK the app uses location services (GPS) to determine the geo-location of the ipad and thus deeming that the ipad is outside the allowable service area it will not allow viewing. I will try to find out more.

Good point! Is this an official SkyGo application being used? If so that may well be the case, the application is checking the location as a "belt and braces" with the streaming server checking the location of the IP address.

On its own the server will not be able to determine the other end of the VPN endpoint, but it could blacklist known VPN providers or rely on the app to check location via 3G location or GPS fix.

Just a thought try logging onto skygo through the safari web browser instead of the app. (you may have to install silverlight for safari when prompted) and see if you can view content this way rather than though the app.

Dont know if this will work or not but worth a try with the VPN active of course.

Thanks Caddies, have now enabled local settings ( must get some IPad training, unfortunately grand kids back in UK !!!!!!) Message now from Sky reads " 3G viewing blocked, sorry only available in UK etc. will try again when we have WiFi access to see if that does make a difference. Have gone back to expat help desk.

Judge, we paid 20 euro at Movistar for SIM, supposed to be 1.90 euro per day ( when in use ) as obviously when on free WiFi site we use theirs so don't want a monthly subscription. We have only used SIM for 6 days & now want to check balance so we know that it "does what it says on the tin" We were going to get a micro euro SIM ( prev thread) to cover all of Europe but ran out of time before we left UK for Spain in Dec.

Dr Dave, thanks tried it through Safari but only get option to remote record & to try & watch picture live it breaks up more than it stays on.

We were hoping there was somebody out there who has an IPad & has successfully managed to access SkyGo.

*-)

Hi Judge

Just to let you know we checked our balance on our SIM today & it does do what it says on the tin. We bought the SIM on 3rd Jan & have only used it on days when we have not had access to free WiFi . We preloaded it with 20 euro & were told at Movistar that we could have a monthly thing or daily 1.90 euro, opted for the daily & have only used it for 7 days & the balance ties up.

Very helpful at the 2 Movistar shops we have been in.

john&sue - 2013-01-20 11:07 PM

Judge, we paid 20 euro at Movistar for SIM, supposed to be 1.90 euro per day ( when in use ) as obviously when on free WiFi site we use theirs so don't want a monthly subscription.

We have only used SIM for 6 days & now want to check balance so we know that it "does what it says on the tin"

We were going to get a micro euro SIM ( prev thread) to cover all of Europe but ran out of time before we left UK for Spain in Dec.

Hi john&sue

Can you tell me what the Movistar product this SIM is and does the Daily rate have a download cap.

I'm about to buy an iPad and am tossing up as to whether the SIM version is a viable option for traveling in Europe due to the data charges. I was leaning toward the WiFi only version but you seem to be saying that the Movistar SIM is a cheap option.

Hi Paul

We have only had the IPad since Xmas so as you have probably guessed we are on a learning curve, especially re downloads etc. We used to use the lap top but not many sites have free WiFi & the charges are quite expensive on those that don't.

With the IPad, as we can' t get Sky, with the 3G , at least we can listen to the radio & get Sky sports news also we have subscribed to Expats VPN so if we want can watch or download some of the dramas on BBC / ITV, not SkyGo though. Which is disappointing, we have been back to expats help a few times & they do say it is accessible but up to now we haven't had any success. Was hoping somebody has actually managed somehow to have overcome this.

The Movistar sim will only work in Spain though that is why we were looking at the micro euro sim which can be used all over Europe see site motorhomewifi.com .

When we first went in to the Movistar shop to enquire, we opted for a daily charge ie 1.90 e rather than a Monthly subscription. We had a bit of a problem this morning with the IPad & weren't sure if the money had run out on the sim so trotted off to the shop again, they checked the balance & we do still have left what we thought so we are only using the 2e per day , we don't download a lot though but for us the 2 e per day is far better value than the 2e per hour that the sites want to charge.

*-)

Paul M Who - 2013-01-23 11:06 PM

Judge, we paid 20 euro at Movistar for SIM, supposed to be 1.90 euro per day ( when in use ) as obviously when on free WiFi site we use theirs so don't want a monthly subscription.

We have only used SIM for 6 days & now want to check balance so we know that it "does what it says on the tin"

We were going to get a micro euro SIM ( prev thread) to cover all of Europe but ran out of time before we left UK for Spain in Dec.

Hi john&sue

Can you tell me what the Movistar product this SIM is and does the Daily rate have a download cap.

I'm about to buy an iPad and am tossing up as to whether the SIM version is a viable option for traveling in Europe due to the data charges. I was leaning toward the WiFi only version but you seem to be saying that the Movistar SIM is a cheap option.

Why not buy the wifi only version, put the sim in your phone and turn on the phones AP (access point), the ipad will see the phone like it would a router.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2013-01-24 6:19 PM

Hi john&sue

Why not buy the wifi only version, put the sim in your phone and turn on the phones AP (access point), the ipad will see the phone like it would a router.
Or a samsung galaxy, better screen and far more flexiable with a memory card slot...OK the new IPad has a very good interfaceand silly toys... but I cant even get my Orange email on it! My wife insisted on it and to me its just an expensive and far from flexible toy

JudgeMental - 2013-01-25 4:13 PM
lennyhb - 2013-01-24 6:19 PM

Hi john&sue

Or a samsung galaxy, better screen and far more flexiable with a memory card slot...OK the new IPad has a very good interfaceand silly toys... but I cant even get my Orange email on it! My wife insisted on it and to me its just an expensive and far from flexible toy
Having brought an Andriod tablet very disappointed with it, waiting for an upgrade to the ipad mini with Retina screen then we might buy a brace of them.

Guest JudgeMental
galaxy super amolied screen (or something!) rated in any reviews I have seen as better then Ipad. its got no connectivity...zilch..I just find it frustrating not being able to download stuff to watch or get email on a £500 + tablet! *-)

It's a Gotab didn't want to buy anything too expensive as we just wanted it for a trip around Indian so if it went missing it would worry us unduly.

I find Android OS is fine on a phone but not very good on a tablet one bugbear is web sites recognise as a phone and download the crappy mobile version of the site and it can be a pain to get it to recognise the full site. The processor is a bit slow but worst of all the wifi slows to a crawl unless you are very near a router.

JudgeMental - 2013-01-25 4:57 PM

galaxy super amolied screen (or something!) rated in any reviews I have seen as better then Ipad. its got no connectivity...zilch..I just find it frustrating not being able to download stuff to watch or get email on a £500 + tablet! *-)

Eddie, why cant you get your email on an iPad?

Here is a way that I know of.

Set up a gmail acct.

link Gmail acct to your Orange acct - can do this in gmail settings.

gmail will collect mail from Orange acct

load ipad with details of gmail acct and mail will display on ipad.

this is how wife does it.

on my phone there is also a 'mail' button (as well as the 'gmail' one as used above. mail accts other than gmail can be collected on this button if appropriate loging details are provided.

not sure if ipad has this option.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-01-25 6:19 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-01-25 4:57 PM

Eddie, why cant you get your email on an iPad?

Here is a way that I know of.

Set up a gmail acct.

link Gmail acct to your Orange acct - can do this in gmail settings.

gmail will collect mail from Orange acct

load ipad with details of gmail acct and mail will display on ipad.

this is how wife does it.

on my phone there is also a 'mail' button (as well as the 'gmail' one as used above. mail accts other than gmail can be collected on this button if appropriate loging details are provided.

not sure if ipad has this option.

Blimey! you think :-D

I have agmail account..will get son on it! due back from Uni for weekend

Having brought an Andriod tablet very disappointed with it, waiting for an upgrade to the ipad mini with Retina screen then we might buy a brace of them.

That's a bit unfair Lenny, don't take this the wrong way, but how can you compare a cheap tablet to an iPad mini?

I like cars, I bought a Lada and was disappointed, waiting for an upgrade to the Mercedes A class.

You get some that prefer Apple, some that prefer Android, but you must compare like for like, or maybe I misread your comment, if so sorry.

For others, unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a good understanding of what you want from a tablet my advice is avoid the cheap options. iPads are great, but you don't get a cheap one, if you want to compare and chose what's best for you look at something like Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini or Samsung Galaxy 10.1/Nexus 10 vs iPad 2/3/4.

Archived