Forest Holidays

Don Madge

The Camping and Caravanning Club has completed a historic deal to form a Joint Venture to manage all of the Forest Holidays camp sites owned by the Forestry Commission. Full details at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/inbox.shtml#Forest Is this going to be good or bad news? Regards Don

Well, Since the "Nice warden" packed up his big yank RV and left our favourite New Forest camp Forest Holidays have charged for extra cars with motorhomes. So the best way is to tow the motorhome on site with your car if you want to bring it along and book in as a caravan. Then the car comes free. Forest Holidays gave a good discount for blue badge holders. Do the C&CC? I fear that this change in management will mean more unwanted frills on Forest sites and hence they will be more expensive. 20 years ago we could camp there for free. Progress? We found this year that the C&CC site at Bala (without hookup) was more expensive than the New Forest even though we are C&CC members. C.

Although Forest Holidays charge for cars towed by motorhomes at the moment (I don't but I think the charge is totally unjustified) when the C&CC take over the sites their charges will apply which don't include this charge (to the best of my knowledge). Of course it could change! The club has also said it doesn't plan to change the special character of these sites. I hope not, especially the New Forest ones.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-07-20 10:46 PM

I think Clive's is a excellent idea!

Two new questions please.

Where can you get A frames for motorhomes? 

Is towing a motorhome on an A frame legal?

[/QUOTE] Hi brian The only problem you may have is the train weight - but if you tow your motorhome with, say, another 7.5 tonne motorhome you should be ok on an A-frame. david

[/QUOTE] Hi brian The only problem you may have is the train weight - but if you tow your motorhome with, say, another 7.5 tonne motorhome you should be ok on an A-frame. david[/QUOTE]

David

This would only be for site access, of course, but I was thinking of reversing into the site.  That way train weight shouldn't be an issue, because the van is being pushed, not towed.

What do you think?

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-07-21 6:34 PM

David

This would only be for site access, of course, but I was thinking of reversing into the site.  That way train weight shouldn't be an issue, because the van is being pushed, not towed.

What do you think?

[/QUOTE] Brian Great idea - just jump in the tow car and reverse into the site - there's nothing in the rules that say you have to be driving forwards into the site! The upside of towing your motorhome with another (heavier) mtorhome is that you can take so many more relatives if you have a big family so wouldn't rule it out entirely. David

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-07-20 10:55 AM The Camping and Caravanning Club has completed a historic deal to form a Joint Venture to manage all of the Forest Holidays camp sites owned by the Forestry Commission. Full details at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/inbox.shtml#Forest Is this going to be good or bad news? Regards Don[/QUOTE] Just to get back to the serious bit again..... The C&CC have a different pricing structure to Forest Holidays and, ineveitably, there will have to be some discussion on exactly how those differences will affect users in the future. I have just spoken to someone at the C&CC but he says that there has been no fine detail worked out yet. The first thing they will be involved inis reviewing the Forest Holiday sites and advising on issues such as upgradinf facilities and improving opoerations. However, the agreement is for C&CC to take over the management of the sites eventually and, especially if a large investment is made for ypgrading facilities, this will ineveitably lead to a review of the pricing structure. Once this happens there are several questions that will affect motorhoem users like: C&CC members enjoy reduced site fees at their campsites - will this be the case at Forest sites too? If so, this is good news if you are a members but if, like me, you are not but do use Forest sites frquently, you may be paying more for the privilege. The question has been raised in the above postings about the C&CC policy of charging extra for towing a car - will this be the case at Forest sites? If so, will this apply to motorcycle or car trailers - and even to car trailers generally that may be full of tent equipment etc? Forest Holidays currently give a discount of 20% to blue badge holders - will this continue under C&CC management? If so, will it be applied to alll C&CC sites? So many questions..... David

Archived