Strikeback alarm maintenance contract

Hawcara

Got home tonight and a letter from Vanbitz 'offering' maintenance contract on the alarm we had fitted 2 years ago. Has anyone had problems with their alarm and/or taken out the maintenance contract. Must admit don't want to go down the road of maintenance, but wonder what other's feelings are?

Thank you :-D

We had the contract on our last van, the Alarm was checked as in accordance for the warrenty.

Cant remember what it cost but we considered it worth it at the time.

The present Van is only 5 months old so some time to go yet before the original instalation warrenty has run out.

We had the Vanbitz strikeback alarm system fitted 4yrs ago , during this time only problem we have had was the rear LED light failed twice , first time replaced F.O.C. 2nd time we paid for replacement.We opted not to take up maintenance but guess it's like insurance on anything, you either pay up or take the risk.

We bought a van in 2005 with the Vanblitz Strike Back alarm fitted we just recently sold the van we paid £25 to VanBlitz when we first bought the van so we could ring with any problems, the only thing we rang for was about the key fob battery.

Were at the moment considering having it fitted to our new van as we were so pleased with it, the only drawback is we have to drive about 300 miles to have it fitted, so not sure if we would buy the maintenance being so far away.

Our van is 5 years old now and it had Strikeback fitted from new(we've had it just over 3 years)..

It always seems to work as it should..Thankfully! :-S ...

I did "register" our name with Vanbitz(£25-30?)...and whilst at it, I did also ask what the procedurewas, if it ever threw a wobbler and went off or refused to disarm?..Was there a method by which it could be "overiden"?

(..in a similar to some old car alarms,when you could maybe use the door key,with X turns to right XY turns to left etc)..

But I was told there wasn't one!.... 8-)

So other than give them a call,I've no idea what steps I'd take,if I'm honest.. :-S

What would this "maintenance contract" cover?(...I can't see 'em driving the length of the country/across the continent to see to an alarm that refuses to shut the f*ck up! (lol) (lol) )

(sorry Eddie..I crossed your post)

Pepe63

ou have been misinformed there is a way to disarm the Alarm.

This information will only be given to you when you buy an alarm from Van bitz. When you have the Alarm fitted by Van Bitz you are given good comprhensive instructions.

This information is not available toa third party.

Oh!..That's interesting David.. :-S

I've just dug out the relevant paperwork again..and typed on the bottom of the invoice for the £20 "Re-registration" (into my name in Feb '11),they had included answers to several questions that I had asked via email...

One of which was about the existance or not,of an "override" option,for use if a fault occurred in the system..

To which they replied,

Quote: " There is no override for this system". :-S

Unless our system somehow differs? Can't see why that would be though....

(Just to clarify,by "overide",I'm refering to a way of totally switching the system off,not just "disarming" after an attack etc..).

If there IS a method and it's mentioned in the "handbook"(and we've just overlooked it),then I'd apreciate a nod from someone,as to which section/pages we should be focusing on ... ;-)

Sorry to the OP for derailing their thread somewhat... :$

Guest JudgeMental
maybe an overide as such not allowed under thatcham/insurance specification...as could be vulnerable? just a thought....

Many years ago we bought a van with a 'Toad' alarm and it was always temperamental until one day it decided to not switch off the siren and not allow me to start then engine - in Ullapool - a very wet Ullapool!

Having walked to a phone box (remember them!) I rang the number on the leaflet that came with the van but they were no help at all unless I took the van to one of their agents - nearest one not very close!

I figured that if a man who knew what he was doing could easily fit this then it ought not be hard for a man who was not colour blind to be able to see what was done and undo it?

So I took the steering column covers and lower dashboard apart, unwound all the tape from the wiring looms, traced the alarm and immobiliser wiring, snipped all the alarm wires, and returned the loom to it's original condition which was surprisingly easy as all the wires were colour coded.

It never gave me any more trouble!

There definatly is a way of overriding the alarm, we were shown how when we had the alarm fitted, also how to reset the alarm if a new blipper had to be used.

Our alarm was only fitted last Sept so it might be new the overide but the reset is not as it was on our previous alarm fitted in 2009.

Thank you all for your input.

Sometimes, writing one's thoughts down, makes focusing the braincell (only one in my case) logical.

I consider that if Vanbitz write offering me a maintenance contract, that perhaps next time we will go elsewhere for an alarm, if/when we change the van. If it does not cause any problems when the time comes then we will reflect more objectively. :-D

We have had a Van Bitz Alarm since 2006.

The only trouble we have had is a worn out fob - new cases available from Van Bitz and a red flashing light failure.

The light was replaced at our cost, not too unreasonable.

The reason that Van Bitz may be canvassing previous customers is that they are short of work and have staff to pay. They run a business.

I would agree that they are probably trying to drum up business, but if they offered more incentive eg more led warning lights outside then the maintenance thing, then one might have been tempted, but for now we will leave it and see what happens in the future. :-D

Archived