Route help needed from Romania to Calais

silverbike

Hello everyone.

We're currently planning to get as far as Romania this June. The plan is to go out from Poitiers via Salzburg and then into Hungary and Romania. This part of the route is OK. We'd like to return to Calais via Slovakia, Czech and Germany (Luxembourg?) to France. Really we want to spend a minimum of time on the return journey to maximise our time further East.

Any advice please on routes, distances and particularly times if possible would be very welcome.

Also we have visited Budapest some years ago so would prefer to travel through more rural areas this time. Has anyone any particular sites they would recommend?

Isn't planning great when the snow is on the ground? Something to look forward to later in the year.

Thanking you in anticipation.

silverbike - 2013-01-24 6:04 PM

Hello everyone.

We're currently planning to get as far as Romania this June. The plan is to go out from Poitiers via Salzburg and then into Hungary and Romania. This part of the route is OK. We'd like to return to Calais via Slovakia, Czech and Germany (Luxembourg?) to France. Really we want to spend a minimum of time on the return journey to maximise our time further East.

Any advice please on routes, distances and particularly times if possible would be very welcome.

Also we have visited Budapest some years ago so would prefer to travel through more rural areas this time. Has anyone any particular sites they would recommend?

Isn't planning great when the snow is on the ground? Something to look forward to later in the year.

Thanking you in anticipation.

You don't mention how long you are away for but to have time to see anything you need at least four weeks.....longer if you can!

Romania is a fascinating country to visit. Most roads are relatively good though a few country roads can be a bit rough. The Danube Valley is a real 'must see' travelling south from Orsova where the river forms a huge lake (boat trips here) towards Drobeta Turnu Severin, the road runs right alongside the Danube.

I stayed a few days at a site just north of Orsova, Campingplatz Hercules N 44.86909° E 22.38771°. The site is quite small and initially I was a bit put off by its location in that the entrance is right on quite a busy main road. However the facilities more than compensate with a Restaurant serving excellent food, good clean showers/toilets, and internet access. There is also a small plunge pool which you will undoubtedly be very glad of in June! Expect temps in the high 30s.....Romania often gets quite hot in summer. The site is run by a German man and both he and his young (very attractive :D) Romanian wife speak excellent English.

Over to the east there is another excellent site near Sibiu called Camping Poarta Oilor N 45.86658° E 23.72864°. This site is run by a Dutch husband and wife with Romanian staff. The site is among the best i've stayed on with excellent facilities all round including Restaurant, showers/toilets, very large swimming pool and wi-fi throughout. It is very very quiet in the evenings and night and I ended up staying here for a week before heading on to Bulgaria.

From Camping Poarta Oilor you are well placed for another 'must see' which is not that far off......the Transfagarasan Pass which Top Gear featured as one of the best roads in the world. The scenery is simply breathtaking. Allow a day to do it as you will stop many many times for photo shoots!

In Hungary if it's utmost peace and tranquility you won't go far wrong Campingplatz Somodi Tanya N 46.88539° E 19.39736° a few miles to the west of Kecskemet. It's reached by driving down a long sandy track through open fields until you eventually reach the site itself. It is so remote it cannot be seen from the road at all. The owner speaks very little English but one of the young Chefs who works there does. The Restaurant serves excellent food and is open from 7am. With EHU I paid around £5.50 a night but these prices are typical.

Lake Balaton is not that far off and if you haven't visited it, do go and see it. It's the largest freshwater lake in Europe.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Hi

Further to Bulletguy's excellent advice, I would recommend the campsite at Carta, at the northern end of the Transfagaras Highway - sorry, I don't have the co-ordinates but it is run by a Romanian/Dutch couple and is an excellent stop.

Also, the campsite in Brasov is very good and you can wildcamp at the ski-resort of Poina Brasov (as well as many other places in Transylvania).

Coming back via Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Germany is easy and there are several good campsites on the route. Have a great trip.

John 47 - 2013-01-28 1:46 PM

Hi

Further to Bulletguy's excellent advice, I would recommend the campsite at Carta, at the northern end of the Transfagaras Highway - sorry, I don't have the co-ordinates but it is run by a Romanian/Dutch couple and is an excellent stop.

Also, the campsite in Brasov is very good and you can wildcamp at the ski-resort of Poina Brasov (as well as many other places in Transylvania).

Coming back via Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Germany is easy and there are several good campsites on the route. Have a great trip.

The site at Carta is Camping De Oude Wilg N 45.78447° E 24.5675°

Brasov is east of the Transfagarasan Pass but there is a small Campsite (Camping Dracula) near Pitesti right at the south end of the Pass. No facilities but hey.....what do you expect for £3? Yes, three quid! There is a very good Restaurant just across the road though less than a minute walk away.

If you are visiting Hungary then the Lake Balaton area is well worth a visit. Plenty of campsites along the shoreline but beware high season as it will be busy.If you do not wish to go to Budapest again then wander along the southern border to Pecs and then to Szeged and cross into Romania there. It is not motorway but you will see the country.

By the way you can buy up to date road maps at any service station. MOL run most of them and they are clean and the coffee is usually excellent. You may find number plate recognition cameras at the exits of service areas as they are checking for vignettes.

Archived