80% Cut Off Valve Not Working !

Wooie

thebishbus - 2013-01-25 4:04 PM

That cannot happen with Gaslow cylinders, they have a safety blow off valve.

Brian B.

Ps One of ours overfilled on the first fill in England. It started to release gas on the way down through Spain. I had to disconnect it and let the extra gas out.

Really?..So,what if this "safety blow off valve"..erm....well....didn't "blow off"? :-S

For starters this was in Americas and some of their tanks have an odd arrangement where you open a bleed valve when you fill and watch for liquid propane to appear at this valve. Perhaps this chap forgot the bleed valve or just took his eye off it for a little too long. He obviously spots something has gone wrong as he tries to remove the filler pipe just before it goes bang, I'm amazed it didn't ignite though!

D.

The accident was actually in Iran and CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) was involved, not LPG.

There have been apocryphal tales of people putting CNG into vehicle gas- tanks designed for LPG and the tanks (unsurprisingly) exploding, but it's hard to see that actually happening as the connections will be quite different .

Hi, in the instructions received with my Gas Lo installation there is a warning I quote" IMPORTANT: FIRST FILL ONLY.In some rare instance it is possible that on the FIRST FILL ONLY. the 80% shut-off may fail to activate. It is therefore IMPORTANT to pay attention when filling for the first time" it then goes on to tell you the capacities of the cylinders in ltrs. My system was installed by a motorhome dealer who filled the tanks so that they could then check it was working correctly with all appliances, thats what you pay for after all.

The link shows an explosion at a gas station in Iran which probably bears no relation to refillable LPG gas systems! Lets hope the Iranian Nuclear Electric Generation system is a bit more robust!

Cheers

It overfilled in cold England above the 80% before cutting off, Then driving into the heat of Spain the extra gas expanded and was escaping through the relief valve. I phoned Gaslow they said this overfilling can happen on the first fill, but the relief valve will release any excessive pressure, but advised disconnecting the bottle and releasing the extra gas.

Brian B.

ps See my previous post above

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-25 4:39 PM

The accident was actually in Iran and CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) was involved, not LPG.

There have been apocryphal tales of people putting CNG into vehicle gas- tanks designed for LPG and the tanks (unsurprisingly) exploding, but it's hard to see that actually happening as the connections will be quite different .

I bow to Derek's better knowledge, but the point is the same this was not in UK using UK certified equipment so not entirely relevant.

D.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-26 8:26 AM

Surely Wooie's original posting was never intended to be taken seriously?

Thank You Derek,

It was meant to be a Lighthearted Look at what might go wrong and i thought it would go down well

seeing as a lot on here have Re-fillable Systems.

Archived