French Breatherliser law suspended

Cliffy

globebuster - 2013-02-01 9:55 AM

Assumption - the mother of all cock-ups!

Perhaps so, but I don't know what relevance that has to the French breathalyser situation.

This French public-service website makes the matter clear:

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/002384.html

For non-francophones, the 1st paragraph translates as follows:

"During a press conference on Thursday, 24 January 2013, the Minister of the Interior announced the postponement of the legal requirement to be in possession of a breathalyzer at a road-side check."

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-01 8:35 AM

Keith T - 2013-01-31 8:26 PM

Having just picked up on this thread, I am now totally confused........(easily done, I know!)

Are we safe to accept that - for now anyway- we do NOT need to obtain/carry a breathalizer kit (ir two)? How do we get some firm fact and evidence to confirm this?

Can we expect some advice from the UK Government or Caravan Club/AA or similar body?

I'm not sure why you might think the UK governement should now advise UK motorists about the French breathalyser law as (to the best of my knowledge) the govenment has never done this in the past (nor advised on other French motoring laws like the requirement to carry a hiigh-visibility jacket and warning-triagle).

From the FCO website

'It is compulsory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket. The reflective jacket must be stored inside the vehicle itself - i.e. it must be accessible without getting out of the car. Non-compliance is a fineable offence.

Single use breathalysers are obligatory in all motorised vehicles. Motorists and motorcyclists travelling to France should purchase a kit complying with French regulations. Road users are advised to carry at least two breathalysers at all times.'

I assume that they will change this entry in the fullness of time. The second kit was intended to keep people within the law should they use the first one.

cronkle - 2013-02-01 2:15 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-01 8:35 AM

Keith T - 2013-01-31 8:26 PM

Having just picked up on this thread, I am now totally confused........(easily done, I know!)

Are we safe to accept that - for now anyway- we do NOT need to obtain/carry a breathalizer kit (ir two)? How do we get some firm fact and evidence to confirm this?

Can we expect some advice from the UK Government or Caravan Club/AA or similar body?

I'm not sure why you might think the UK governement should now advise UK motorists about the French breathalyser law as (to the best of my knowledge) the govenment has never done this in the past (nor advised on other French motoring laws like the requirement to carry a hiigh-visibility jacket and warning-triagle).

From the FCO website

'It is compulsory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket. The reflective jacket must be stored inside the vehicle itself - i.e. it must be accessible without getting out of the car. Non-compliance is a fineable offence.

Single use breathalysers are obligatory in all motorised vehicles. Motorists and motorcyclists travelling to France should purchase a kit complying with French regulations. Road users are advised to carry at least two breathalysers at all times.'

I assume that they will change this entry in the fullness of time. The second kit was intended to keep people within the law should they use the first one.

I stand corrected, though I notice that no mention of the several postponements of the breathaliser 'prosecution date' is made on the FCO website.

The FCO's statement

"In-car radar detectors and satellite navigation systems which warn of the presence of speed cameras or radars are illegal whether in use or not. Their use or possession can attract fines and/or, confiscation of the device and the vehicle."

is intriguing. It seems to conflict with the advice of sat-nav manufacturers and UK motoring organisations that temporarily disabling a sat-nav's speed-camera-warning function complies with French regulations.

I would've thought that,irrespective of whether they're a legal requirement or they're being manufactured by some French ministers brother-in-law's company etc,surely if folk are going to risk driving after drinking any amount of alcohol,then as long as they are accurate, these MUST a good idea..

For the little costs involved,why wouldn't folk just buy a couple o' the things,chuck'em in the glove box and be done with it...?. :-S

Or is it the fact that some don't like "Johny Foreigner" making laws that'll affect "Brits" ?

(..in a shades of "A-Frames in Spain" style.... (lol) )

After spending a lot of time in France on a regular basis, I've learnt that there are no hard and fast rules - be it with the police, or for example the local Taxe D' Habitation!

Anyone who has been stopped by the the 'boys in blue' will probably know what I mean.

It's your choice whether you want to spend a fiver just to cover your buttocks - as it is, I always carry the full legal requirement, whereas I see many leaving the ferry port clearly flouting the law.

By the time the average brit has pi**ed them off with his 'couple of bits of insulation tape' beam adjusters, and one hi-vis for the whole family he's asking for trouble.

I bought two for the motorhome about this time last year and then searched without success for another two for the small car that I keep in France. The expiry date is next February. The problem I foresee is that many other people will be in the same position. Therefore, if the French government do decide to keep this law and bring in a new date in a few months time, then the shortage of packs may mean a further delay in implementing the date for the fines to start. Surely the manufacturers must already have reduced their production volume?

Archived