solar panel charging vehicle battery?

bertieburstner

We are considering buying a solar panel for our motorhome, a Laika. Probably 120 watt roof mounted one.

I appreciate it charges the leisure batteries (we have 2 x100 AH leisure batteries) but will it keep the vehicle battery topped up if it has completed charging the leisure batteries? Or can it be switched. *-)

I have looked around and can't seem to find the answer.

Does your van's electrics already have the wiring in place to allow solar charging in which case it might also allow split charging?

The handbook should tell you or you might be able to research the 12 v control panel online or someone on here might have the same system if you tell us what it is?

If not you can either get a solar regulator with split charging dual outlets or failing that a split charge relay.

Why not contact a few solar panel suppliers and get their advice

If you explain what you have and what you want to achieve at least if you buy it all from one place it should all be compatible?

I use one of these (in addition to the solar panel regulator) to send excess charge from the leisure batteries to the engine battery and it works very well at keeping all of 'em charged.

I have also found Automate very helpful.

http://www.auto-mate.org.uk/monocrystalline-solar-panels/solar-charge-controllers-regulators/battery-maintainer-3amp-12volt

We have 2 leisure batteries and a solar panel. The garage enabled the vehicle battery to be charged from the leisure batteries. As a result we lived for a month in May by a small town marina in Greece and the MH started first time when we left.

However in September in southern France, with the sun's rays at less of an angle, we hooked up once a week to make sure we didn't flatten the battery. Hope this helps.

The charging mechanism on our Pilote did not allow the hook up to charge the cab battery, only the leisure batteries. So when we fitted a solar panel the same rules applied. It only charged the leisure batteries.

I overcame this by fitting a VanBitz device which allows the cab battery to be topped up when the leisure batteries pass a certain voltage. Since fitting the VB device all the batteries remain fully charged. I can park the van at home for weeks and all the batteries are kept topped up.

H

Archived