Free engine upgrade on new Kon-Tiki

Tmesis

Hi - I ordered a new Kon-Tiki late last year for delivery next month. Now I see that Swift have an offer of a free engine upgrade on orders placed this month and next month.

On my order, the engine upgrade was priced at £2300. Bummer. I haven't been back to the dealer yet to voice my grievance.

Is anyone else here in a similar situation?

Thanks

Presumably Swift's no-cost motor upgrade is to encourage potential buyers to commit to ordering in January/February when trade at dealerships won't be bouyant.

While it may be galling to be paying £2300 for an option that now costs nothing (presumably the basic vehicle price has not altered since you ordered?), what would your attitude be if Swift's motor upgrade price had increased from £2300 to £3300 for Kon-Tiki models that are not already on order? Wouldn't you feel pleased that you ordered last year and 'saved' £1000 on the upgrade?

Vehicle price/specification changes prior to delivery are normally spelled out in the purchase contract's terms and conditions.

Tmesis - 2013-01-28 3:56 PM

I guess my only course of action is to ask the dealer to honour the upgrage on my wagon and be prepared to cancel and re-order if it doesn't go to plan. On principal I'm not prepared to pay £2300 unnecessarily.

Bit of a gamble, how much deposit did you leave? Might have been the profit margin that the dealer makes therefore giving them no incentive to refund you.

Sorry but I think you are out of luck. The Fiat part of your motorhome is almost certainly built by now and if its to be delivered next month then the Swift part will certainly be well on the way to completion. Not sure what the "distance selling" rules will do for you though as they are time limited.

D.

Hi I'm not sure of the significance of the build state of the vehicle. My beef is the contract price, not where the vehicle is.

Distance selling regs timeout starts at the conclusion of the contract which is delivery of the goods.

Instead of all this faffing about with theoretical questions why not phone the dealer, ask to speak to the dealer principle and politely put the question to him?

Then when you have his response you will be far better qualified to know what, if anything, you can do next?

Having driven vans with both the 2.3 and 3.0 litre engines I can honestly say that I prefer the 2.3 as it has a good spread of adequate power and torque.

But if you do want more power then this little gizmo will give it to you for about £200!

http://www.energytuning.co.uk/ttpg1.htm

Beware of bountiful wheel spin if you use the power from a standstill - or even low speeds on slippery roads - and that applies equally to the 3.0 litre engine!

Pepe63, I'm not relying on anything, just replying to others' replies. Tracker, I ordered the 3 Litre, for better or worse, so it's just the price that I am concerned with -- that is to say, asking for a smaller engine would be a more difficult to achieve than not being charged for the 3L.

I'll give them a ring in the morning. The only reason for posting in advance was to see if anyone had already gone through this and had a result.

Thanks all.

Archived