rear weight loads

jordano

Hi am thinking of getting a scooter and bike rack for my Autotrail Cheyenne 635 year 2000 was wondering how much this van would be able to carry at the back. and can anyone recomend a low weight scooter something to carry me and the wife and a bit of shopping.

Before you add any weight you ought to determine your actual and allowable weights or you run the very real risk of overloading.

Your handbook should tell you your axle weights and maximum gross weight, as will the weight plate on the van.

The handbook should also tell you your theoretical payload, but over the years the addition of extras and essentials tends to reduce that considerably which is why accurate weighing is important.

Take the van fully loaded in holiday trim to a weighbridge and obtain front axle, rear axle and total vehicle weights.

Then compare these with your allowable weights and what you have left - if any - is what you can add.

Bear in mind that a scooter on a rack will add more than it's actual weight to the rear axle loading whilst reducing the front axle weight which, unless yours is a rwd van, makes the steering lighter and the grip less - particularly on wet or slippery surfaces.

If you are overweight, don't worry as you can increase the payload at a cost but that is a separate issue.

Tracker - 2013-01-29 12:48 PM..................If you are overweight, don't worry as you can increase the payload at a cost but that is a separate issue.

Just one note of caution, though - if, as is most likely, it is the rear axle that is near overload, or actually overloaded, it will not be so straightforward to remedy as if it is just the MAM that is at risk. In either case probably the best people to talk to about your options will be SV Tech, here: http://tinyurl.com/alvvrtm

Brian Kirby - 2013-01-29 4:29 PM

Tracker - 2013-01-29 12:48 PM..................If you are overweight, don't worry as you can increase the payload at a cost but that is a separate issue.

Just one note of caution, though - if, as is most likely, it is the rear axle that is near overload, or actually overloaded, it will not be so straightforward to remedy as if it is just the MAM that is at risk. In either case probably the best people to talk to about your options will be SV Tech, here: http://tinyurl.com/alvvrtm

One step at a time Brian - first he needs to get the axle weights fully laden and the plated weights - no point in talking to anyone before that!

But I do agree, SvTech are the ones to ask and they are very helpful - once you know what you are asking for!

With SvTech's help I'm in the process of uprating my van from 3500 to 3850 kg and the rear axle from 3000 to 2240 kg and I can let everyone know how this pans out with the DVLA if you are interested?

Tracker - 2013-01-29 4:59 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-01-29 4:29 PM

One step at a time Brian - first he needs to get the axle weights fully laden and the plated weights - no point in talking to anyone before that!

But I do agree, SvTech are the ones to ask and they are very helpful - once you know what you are asking for!

With SvTech's help I'm in the process of uprating my van from 3500 to 3850 kg and the rear axle from 3000 to 2240 kg and I can let everyone know how this pans out with the DVLA if you are interested?

Funny upgrade Rich increasing the payload by 350kg and decreasing the rear axle by 760kg. (lol)

This is the original response from Steve Heap at SvTech when I first asked - it - or may not be of help?

We have a couple of uprate options we can offer on your vehicle.

The first option, to uprate to 3700kg, does not require any mechanical changes and the axle weights remain unchanged at 1850kg, 2000kg.

The second uprate option is to take the gross weight to 3850kg. This uprate requires you have rear axle air assisted suspension fit.

The initial uprate to 3850kg would again leave the axle weights unchanged, however you could, with a tyre change increase the rear axle to 2240kg.

Your current tyre size being a 215/75R15 would need changing to a 225/75R15 (min load index 112). This can be achieved on the existing rim size.

Before choosing any of the above uprate options, I would first recommend you have your motorhome weighed and check the individual axle loadings.

Once you have these figures, you will be able to see which uprate option best covers your requirement.

If choosing the second option you would need to source the air assist system and supply evidence of this having been fit. (suppliers can be provided if required). Similarly if you wish to uprate the rear axle weight to 2240kg, you will need to supply evidence of the new tyres fit. These only need changing to the rear, but convenience of the spare wheel would be to change them all.

The cost for us to cover the uprate is £240+VAT and includes the new plate for the vehicle and the necessary paperwork to allow you to get the registration document changed.

As the gross weight will be going above 3500kg, the taxation class will change from PLG to PHGV. This change will need making at your nearest DVLA office, who will supply you with a new tax disc on the day.

Unfortunately we cannot make the change to the logbook and deal with DVLA, as this must be carried out by the registered keeper.

You will received a full instruction sheet detailing the changes to be made on the logbook along with the necessary forms to allow you to change the tax class.

The important things to bear in mind when uprating above 3500kg are as follows:

Going above 3500kg requires a C1 category Licence holder to drive.

Drivers having passed their test prior to 1997 usually have this as standard.

Speed limits in Europe are lower for Motorhomes over 3500kg.

You must inform your insurance company of the uprate (previous customers have not expericenced an increase)

The MOT class for Motorhomes/Motor Caravan is Class 4

Good advice on the weighbridge and a good calculator here

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads

If you can get away with it. A typical towbar and rack will be around 30 KG and a light scooter around 100KG. This may add depending on your overhang between aprox 180-250 KG on the back.

Our scooter is a Peugeot Speedfight II 100cc 2 stroke at 95KG. Power to weight you wont find anything lighter if you can find a good one at all.

Newer models are the likes of the new Honda Vision 110cc at I think 103KG and of course there is the trusty old style Honda Innova 125 at about the same but you will look like a Pizza delivery man.

50cc will be a bit lighter but not enough power or speed for longer journeys or flying up the Alps.

I might also add that even if you can manage to get a bike on the back its likely that it will take it somewhere near the limit. Ours is just on the limit. This can have an adverse effect on the front axle so you need to think about weight distribution. In our case we put a folding mountain bike, inflatable dinghy etc up in the luton but you dont want too much weight up high as it makes the van unstable. I even go as far as storing things like EHU cables behind the drivers seat. I have ours balanced perfectly now. It still drives like a big white brick though. :-D

Archived