Lunar low profiles

globebuster

Hi,

Anyone on the forum have any experience of the Telstar, X Star low profiles.

I'm currently running a '05 Dethleffs Globebus 3 [ 2 berth, u lounge, very low profile model] 2.8 JTD

The other half really likes the big front sunroof and general layout of the Lunars, albeit very similar to the Globebus.

The Dethleffs' construction is very good, although internally I'm guessing this was an entry-level van, where as the Lunar range [on the surface] seem better equipped.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Guest JudgeMental
Funny thing taste isn't it...last thing I would want is a large single glazed (i think? ) Roof window over the cab area. ..surely must draw a lot of heat and another water ingress worry .it was 43 deg in Tuscany last summer

You're right about the heat potential, although I think it's double glazed and has a blind which will help.

I / we spend a lot of time in France and it gets a bit toasty sometimes - ironically I notice a lot of continental makes aviod fitting them, but 'paint in' the effect, no doubt for that very reason.

As a boat builder I'm always looking at construction over cosmetics - and I'm thinking the Dethleffs will have the edge there.

Guest JudgeMental

yes.. but to me they are simply style over substance and in a CB just another opening to worry about (water ingress) plus the heat which we have discussed already....and a few have been known to fly of!

Must admit found our last CB a bit claustrophobic and felt cut of from the outside...Panel van much better in that respect

We have friends in the MCC who have the Lunar Telstar and love them to bits. The layout is ideal as two seperate beds with a good kitchen layout and very roomy for the size. Not to long ago there was an article on them and it said that they were imported from Holland where they were made for Lunar. It's a pity they stopped making them because the build quality seems very good.

I believe that we are not alone in that we very much prefer the overcab storage to a bloody great window.

Those of us that have had cars with sunshine roofs may recall having to keep the cover closed in sunny weather and at night to stop unwanted heat and reflections.

Sorry, but I see it as very much fashion before common sense!

I am a staunch supporter of British made vans being generally more suited to our sort of camping but I really cant see a Lunar being better built than a Dethleffs?

I could be on a downward spiral here!

As it is, the Dethleffs doesn't compare with my old '93 Hymer in terms of internal quality - in fact there are a few areas where it's little short of disappointing, but structurally very well put together.

The Lunar I viewed [briefly] certainly appeared to have a more luxurious internal finish, but If to do consider a change I'll be looking a lot harder at the really important aspects.

Lunar no longer produces motorhomes, which may complicate obtaining spares and back-up for a Testar/X-Star.

There were definitely quality-control issues in the mid-2000s with UK-made Lunar motorhomes but, as you'd be buying a vehicle several years old, hopefully the previous owner(s) would have resolved any such problems by now.

The Lunar Telstar, X-Star and Five Star models were Renault Master-based and all of them were built at Lunar's UK factory at Preston. The following may be helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/a79tatd

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Lunar-Motorhomes/5992/

Unfortunately my missus has a real 'Sunroof Obsession'

Don't ask me why - but she would forego Air-Con for a noisy sunroof, so you can sample the delights of everyone's exhaust fumes whilst the sun relentlessly burns a hole in the top of your head!

I appreciate that used on a camper it's somewhat different, allowing more light into the cab area.

You could argue that a big Heki further aft must create a fair bit of heat too - although having never had one I'm not really qualified to comment.

Luckily I make all the vehicular decisions - anyway forget the sunroof what about build quality?

Keithl - 2013-01-30 3:17 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-30 2:56 PM

Lunar no longer produces motorhomes,

They may not right now but things are about to change... Link to OAL article.

Keith.

Debatable (at least as far as I'm concerned) whether Lunar's Vajazzle will qualify as a "motohome".

http://www.lunarcaravans.com/vacanza

Oh dear - I've just realised the new Lunar will be called "Vacanza" (but it might sell better if my in-error name were used!)

globebuster - 2013-01-30 3:08 PM

Unfortunately my missus has a real 'Sunroof Obsession'

Don't ask me why - but she would forego Air-Con for a noisy sunroof, so you can sample the delights of everyone's exhaust fumes whilst the sun relentlessly burns a hole in the top of your head!

I appreciate that used on a camper it's somewhat different, allowing more light into the cab area.

You could argue that a big Heki further aft must create a fair bit of heat too - although having never had one I'm not really qualified to comment.

Luckily I make all the vehicular decisions - anyway forget the sunroof what about build quality?

Hi globebuster -

I think your wife will be in for a dissappointment - the overcab "sunroofs" are NOT designed to be used in the open position whilst travelling. On a previous old thread a Hobby owner lost theirs when the wind got under it, even though it hadn't been intentionally opened.

The common problem is when driving south into the sun, you need to pull the blind to shut out the sun glare & as the blind tends to be in the pulled position most of the time (in our experience with previous Autocruise Sportstar) the blind tend to sag due to their width.. Not a cheap item to fix.

flicka - 2013-01-30 10:27 PM

Hi globebuster -

I think your wife will be in for a dissappointment - the overcab "sunroofs" are NOT designed to be used in the open position whilst travelling. On a previous old thread a Hobby owner lost theirs when the wind got under it, even though it hadn't been intentionally opened.

The common problem is when driving south into the sun, you need to pull the blind to shut out the sun glare & as the blind tends to be in the pulled position most of the time (in our experience with previous Autocruise Sportstar) the blind tend to sag due to their width.. Not a cheap item to fix.

Are you sure about the Hobby-related incident? I don't recall a forum posting about a Hobby 'roof window' going AWOL, though there was this one about a Burstner:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Burstner-solano-roof-window/26494/

The blinds fitted to these large over-cab windows can (as you warn) sag. One of the first manufacturers to fit this type of window was Knaus and you only had to look at the blinds and note their lack of widthways stiffness to guess there was going to be a serious sagging problem. Much moaning from dissatisfied buyers resulted in Knaus installing redesigned blinds on later models.

I didn't think I came across quite that thick!

I'm well aware that leaving it open whilst travelling wouldn't be a good idea.

To be honest it's been a few years since we had a sunroof - she just drives a convertable these days!

I see what you mean about the unsupported span of the sunroof though.

Appreciate the comments - but it's the Lunar build quality in general I'm more interested in.

There's good and bad with every manufacturer and only personal experience will be the judge. For me the Lunar 620 rear lounge was ahead of its time, a plus point was the one piece roof with no joints apart from skylights and a flue pipe. The side walls were composite against alloy and I thought the build qualitity waas as good as it got. You don't see many if any for sale so that must be a good plus as well.

Well I must be in the minority, again ;-)

We have low profile van with an overcab 'window' (set transversly) which gives the cab a far airier feel than low profiles with a solid cab roof.

It doesn't open as is not designed as a fresh air route but to allow light to flood into the cab.

On particularly hot days there is a cassette blind that can be closed if desired and we also close this at night for a more 'cosy' feel although it is double glazed and loses no more heat than any other window would.

It also really opens up the all round view when driving and, having looked at a few vans recently (A class and low profiles) this is a feature that I would like to retain.

I see Burstner have 'opened up' their roofline on the Grand Panorama which is nice as A Class drop down beds do feel a little 'dark' over the cab especially after being used to a roof light.

On the subject of Lunar quality, I thought that they did suffer some damp issues a while back.

I thought that the Lunar X-star (rear lounge) and Telstar (front lounge) were excellent vans (made in Preston not Holland). and we would have probably bought one had they continued in production,(remember going to the 2009 NEC show looking for them, and being dissapointed) instead of our Autocruise. Build quality WAS good,on all the ones I looked at, anyway. AND they were built on a Renault Master base just when the 'new' X250 Sevel was having all of it's 'Gearbox issues' they could have 'capitalized on this' But decided to stop motorhome production altogether and focus on 'Tuggers'. (I think this was a mistake, but what do i know). Hope that they 'can' this latest 'effort' which is no good to 'man nor beast' and get back to building something 'useful'.

Come on Lunar if Bailey can do it, so can you. (especially as the Pound is sinking against the Euro).

As for 'Sunroofs' provided they are watertight and well fitted ? I like them as they bring in light to the front lounge. We have one on our Autotrail Savannah, called a 'super low line' !!!!!! it's still 3 metres high . ? Ray

It seems that many motorhome and caravan manufacturers are designing roof and pod systems similar to Lunar which have large skylights. A company in Holland called Polyplastic supply these manufacturers through an agent in this country. I looked them up on the internet and see that there are some recalls for various reasons. If anyone owns anything that is fitted with them it might be in their interest to have a look.

globebuster - 2013-01-31 9:11 AM

...but it's the Lunar build quality in general I'm more interested in.

I'm doubtful that you'll get objective feedback here, simply because I don't think forum members will be in a position to provide it.

I know there were build-quality issues with Lunar motorhomes because I recall a Lunar motorhome dealer telling me that the factory had delivered vehicles to him in such poor condition that he had driven to Preston and threatened that he would cancel his franchise if things didn't improve dramatically. But I don't know if Telstar/X-star longevity is better or worse than that of other motorhome manufacturers .

You might have better luck aslking about build quality on the MotorHomeFacts forum, as that has a dedicated Lunar section and a larger membership.

Regarding the Telstar over-cab 'sunroof', it would appear from this earlier thread that it does not open.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/LUNAR-TELSTAR-PANORAMIC-SUNROOF/9767/

To be honest it's been a few years since we had a sunroof - she just drives a convertable these days!

Appreciate the comments - but it's the Lunar build quality in general I'm more interested in.

Hi globebuster - sorry my post came across to you as that. I took your comment:-

"Don't ask me why - but she would forego Air-Con for a noisy sunroof, so you can sample the delights of everyone's exhaust fumes whilst the sun relentlessly burns a hole in the top of your head! "

(especially - re exhaust fumes) to mean you thought about travelling with the sunroof open.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-31 8:46 AM

flicka - 2013-01-30 10:27 PM

Hi globebuster -

Are you sure about the Hobby-related incident? I don't recall a forum posting about a Hobby 'roof window' going AWOL, though there was this one about a Burstner:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Burstner-solano-roof-window/26494/

The blinds fitted to these large over-cab windows can (as you warn) sag. One of the first manufacturers to fit this type of window was Knaus and you only had to look at the blinds and note their lack of widthways stiffness to guess there was going to be a serious sagging problem. Much moaning from dissatisfied buyers resulted in Knaus installing redesigned blinds on later models.

Correct again Derek. Apologies to Hobby & their owners. Got the right country of manufacture though. :D

flicka - 2013-01-31 10:20 PM

Hi globebuster - sorry my post came across to you as that. I took your comment:-

"Don't ask me why - but she would forego Air-Con for a noisy sunroof, so you can sample the delights of everyone's exhaust fumes whilst the sun relentlessly burns a hole in the top of your head! "

(especially - re exhaust fumes) to mean you thought about travelling with the sunroof open.

No problem Flicka, I think I was transported back to an XR3i when I wrote that!

Seriously though, she really hates Air-con but doesn't seem to mind a bit of canvas flapping around overhead!

This Practical Motorhome (PM) piece relates to Lunar's imminent re-launch into the motorhome market:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/blog/lunar-relaunch-motorhome-market

The article cross-links to PM Owner Satisfaction surveys that indicate that - over the years - Lunar has scored well. In the 2009, 2010 and 2011 surveys Lunar scored 88%, 93% and 91% respectively. In the 2010 and 2011 surveys Dethleffs scored 100% and 92% respectively. Whether such statistics suggest that Dethleffs motorhomes are genuinely 'better' than Lunars is anybody's guess.

Lunars 're-Launch' into the motorhome market seems to aimed at an already 'well provided for' market niche, The 'day van occasional camper' .? no pictures yet, but there are already at least 10 if not more Converters catering for this 'Niche'. Wouldn't they have done better to step into ' Bentley's' old shoes? convert onto a Renault Master chassis,(to give folk who are 'Anti-Sevel',and there are quite a few ! a viable alternative). create 'Low line' models (like the Telstar and X-Star, 5 star of old) after producing a 'Batch' for dealers, make only for 'placed orders' Used Lunars are still very popular.

Think it would make more sense than trying to sell against the likes of Bilbo, Hillsbridge Etc.,

And put more ' UK produced' choice for purchasers. especially as the pound is sinking against the Euro and bound to put up the price of Imported vans. Ray

Archived