DPF - an alternative

Tracker

It seems that Euro5 emmisions can be achieved without a DPF after all - so why are we cursed with this inelegant technology - who benefits the most I wonder - who has the vested interests - politicians, vehicle makers, vehicle repair workshops - certainly not the ones who pay for it all - you and me!!

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/dpf-removal-dpf-delete-oxfordshire.aspx

lennyhb - 2013-01-31 10:50 AM

As far as I can see they are just offering a DPF removal service I don't see any reference to emissions. Even if the vehicle does meet emissions a sharp eyed MOT tester would give it a fail if he noticed the DPF missing.

They don't check for the presence of DPF filters Etc., provided they pass the Emission test, and is sound in all other MOT 'ways' it passes.

It is not their job to check 'Type approval' conformity, and why should it be ? As long as a vehicle is SAFE and doesn't pollute. surely thats enough. Ray

If my DPF Filter EVER causes me any grief whatsoever, it's OFF.

I have one of these damned things on my Vauxhall Car and if i could have it removed i`d do it tomorrow.

It has the 1.9 CDTi engine and the MPG is atrocious so much so that the van 2.8HDi and nearly

4 Tonne is better on fuel than the bloody car !

The car has been back to the dealer several times now to no avail

I`ve had the car from new and it is now 2 years old and it`s got the " Lifetime Warranty " that Vauxhall do.

I`ve enquired about having it removed but the dealer has told me that if i do have it removed i can

" Kiss Goodbye " to the warranty.

If anything goes wrong the warranty covers it but it`s the cost of the fuel that`s the killer.

Rayjsj - 2013-01-31 11:08 AM

lennyhb - 2013-01-31 10:50 AM

As far as I can see they are just offering a DPF removal service I don't see any reference to emissions. Even if the vehicle does meet emissions a sharp eyed MOT tester would give it a fail if he noticed the DPF missing.

They don't check for the presence of DPF filters Etc., provided they pass the Emission test, and is sound in all other MOT 'ways' it passes.

It is not their job to check 'Type approval' conformity, and why should it be ? As long as a vehicle is SAFE and doesn't pollute. surely thats enough. Ray

If my DPF Filter EVER causes me any grief whatsoever, it's OFF.

This is a summary of more recent additions to the UK's MOT test:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/pocket-card-mot-test-is-changing.pdf

Although the emissions test for diesel-fuelled vehicles continues to be based on 'smoke', a vehicle can be failed if a 'catalytic converter', fitted as original equipment to the vehicle, is not present when the test is carried out.

It might be argued that a DPF and a catalytic converter are different things and, as the check for a missing catalytic converter is visual and (presumably) will rely on the MOT tester knowing whether it was original equipment, if you remove your vehicle's DPF (or just remove the DPF's internals) there's a strong chance your vehicle won't fail the test.

I'm well aware that there is a cadre of forum members who adore conspiracy theories. However, if motor vehicle manufacturers could find a financially acceptable way to meet Euro 5 regulations without fitting catalytic converters and/or DMFs, you can bet your life they would.

The UK MOT test permits LHD motorhomes to have beam-benders on their right-dipping headlamps and a kmh-only speedometer, whereas the DVLA's vehicle registration regulations forbid this. Removing a DPF from a 'Euro 5' vehicle will immediately invalidate its Euro 5 status. That it may pass the MOT test is irrelevant - with DPF it was Euro 5 compliant: without DPF it is not.

As lennyhb highlights, the firm Tracker provided a link to makes no claims that, after removal of the DPF and tweaking the engine-mapping, the modified vehicle will still be Euro 5 compliant, and no other DPF-removal company claims that either. Any company able to remove a vehicle's DPF, twiddle its ECU and retain its Euro 5 compliancy could write itself a blank cheque.

Wooie - 2013-01-31 11:27 AM

I have one of these damned things on my Vauxhall Car and if i could have it removed i`d do it tomorrow.

Leyland autologistics (walton summit) will remove and re-map for either performance or economy for a very good price.

colin - 2013-01-31 2:53 PM

Sorry Derek, but missing a cat only applies to petrol engines, and acording to VOSA there is no requirement for a DPF either. Odd bit there you go.

This, as you rightly say, is explained on this exhaust-related website:

http://www.longlife.co.uk/blog/index.php/2012/04/removing-catalytic-converters-from-a-diesel-car-what-you-need-to-know/

It's also mentioned here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/31454/is-a-dpf-essential-

As I suggested earlier, It's unreasonable to think that removing a DPF from a vehicle manufactured to meet a particular Euro emissions-standard will do other than increase that vehicle's with-DPF-fitted emissions levels.

I fully accept that removing emissions-related components from a diesel-fuelled vehicle's exhaust system may well still allow that vehicle to pass the UK MOT 'smoke' test. I'm also happy to agree that DPFs have proven to be an under-developed technology that motorists, given a choice, would prefer their vehicles not to have.

I'm not a great fan of the human race; I've not procreated; I'm getting on in years and I don't believe in rebirth. If there's a worldwide revolution to ignore vehicle emissions controls and people start removing cats/DPFs from their diesel vehicles to save money, and 50 years from now the Earth starts to fry, I can't say that concerns me much.

It will be interesting to see if any new rules designed to beat this 'initiative' are retrospective or whether any 'conversions' carried out prior to the effective date of such new rules will be exempted from them?

Otherwise buying a new DPF and un-chipping the ECU could prove to be quite expensive.

I still can't see how an MOT tester would know if the original DPF casing was reused devoid of it's filter element and the ECU was programmed to reflect this and the vehicle passed the emissions tests?

I have a much easier solution - never buy any Euro5 diesel engined vehicle and I certainly won't be buying one any time soon!!

The way i understand it from my mate who has own garage / mot station is that it WILL fail an MOT if the tester realises / knows that DPF has been removed. Also I wonder if you would need to inform insurers as to a "modification" as would no longer be standard. Any excuse to get around a claim. Also dont think DVLA would be best pleased as your vehicle would no longer be "legally" (presumably) in the same tax bracket re-emmisions.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-01 3:24 PM

Honestly...filthy devils removing DPF filters.....WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!! :-S

No Eddie you are quite wrong - using a child as a DPF is very non PC these days - besides it would never work as the ungrateful little perisher would probably complain too loudly!

No good using Tracker either, as he's already so full of crap he'd fail the MOT. :D

So sorry in advance Richard, but if I didn't say it , someone else would have. :D :D :D (lol)

Note the smileys, to show no malice intended.

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2013-02-01 10:33 PM

No good using Tracker either, as he's already so full of crap he'd fail the MOT. :D

So sorry in advance Richard, but if I didn't say it , someone else would have. :D :D :D (lol)

never laughed so much in ages.. must pop in to see you and buy you a beer in Spain. when are you heading down that way.. if I go it will probably be mid March :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-02-01 11:24 PM

never laughed so much in ages.. must pop in to see you and buy you a beer in Spain. when are you heading down that way.. if I go it will probably be mid March :-D

Unfortunately we have had to cancell our trip this year, owing to finally finding a buyer in the position to proceed to buy our house.

We are both now bored out of our skulls waiting for the legal stuff to get sorted out and thinking every day now that we could be in sunny southern spain then on to benicassim for the whole of march.

It's a bummer, but we are off to holland / germany and austria in june. Thanks for the offer of a beer, but it will have to wait 'till next year. :D

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2013-02-02 9:43 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-02-01 11:24 PM

Unfortunately we have had to cancell our trip this year, owing to finally finding a buyer in the position to proceed to buy our house.

We are both now bored out of our skulls waiting for the legal stuff to get sorted out and thinking every day now that we could be in sunny southern spain then on to benicassim for the whole of march.

It's a bummer, but we are off to holland / germany and austria in june. Thanks for the offer of a beer, but it will have to wait 'till next year. :D

No worries Peter it's a drag when life gets in the way......are you downsizing and where you moving to, up near tracker presumably..do you need to find a new home also? We sold last year but could not find a suitable property so had to pul out, personally I would have gone into rented but wife would not entertain that option *-)

Every cloud has a silver lining and knowing that Spain is now devoid of Peter and Eddie opens it up for everyone else to enjoy without the risk of meeting either of them and their long suffering good ladies!

And as a bonus when we head South the forum will be devoid of me for a while - a double whammy - you lucky people!!

Archived