Prison Scandle (NOT)

Dr Dave

News Report

The Ministry of Justice is suspending one of the suppliers of meat to prisons after it discovered that Halal pies and pasties sourced from a properly Halal certificated supplier may contain traces of non-Halal meat, it said.

The products concerned have been withdrawn immediately, a spokesman said.

He added: "All prisons have been informed about this very regrettable incident and we reported this issue to the Food Standards Agency immediately.

"We are taking immediate steps to suspend the contract with the relevant subcontractor."

Justice minister Jeremy Wright said: "This is an absolutely unacceptable situation and one which we regret greatly. Clearly this must be distressing for those affected and they can be reassured we are doing everything we can to resolve the situation. The Prison Service is investigating this as a matter of urgency."

You could not make it up.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Like I said in another post, this will be like winning the lottery for the Muslim prisoners once they file their compensation claims, pity we can't sue the burger makers and say we are not allowed to eat horse and get a few bob ourselves,the UK is mad . >:-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-02 6:38 PM

Like I said in another post, this will be like winning the lottery for the Muslim prisoners once they file their compensation claims, pity we can't sue the burger makers and say we are not allowed to eat horse and get a few bob ourselves,the UK is mad . >:-)

It's the government who should be suing the suppliers, not the prisoners.

:-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-02-02 10:01 PM

Why sould we be eating Hala meat in the first place.

Over to you 1foot & John47 ;-)

Dave

Don't you think I've got enough trouble on my hands :D

Guest pelmetman

Dave

Because the loony liberal elite always bend over backwards to please religious nutters...........Even though the majority of the population consider the practice of slitting an animals throat whilst conscious barbaric *-)....

My niece's school changed over to halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat and served it to everyone because 30% of the pupils were Muslim. When non Muslim parents complained, they were told it was too costly to have different meat suppliers and that they had to ensure halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat was not prepared in the same kitchen as normal meat to appease the minority.

It's also happened at McDonalds, KFC and Dominos Pizza stores, when you walk in, look for a small arabic symbol on the door, this will tell you that halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat is used in that kitchen. I enquired with one of the staff the last time I took a friends kids into KFC, the girl behind the counter went and asked and told me they did use it, I asked if she understood what it meant, she said no so I went into great detail about the process. It was sad but satisfying to see her and several others nearly being sick when they discovered the methods used to kill animals by halal (barbaric method). The same goes for meat that is kosher before I am accused of inciting dislike.

I doubt that anyone on here has witnessed ,not heard of, but actually stood next to a calf or goat that is held down whilst it throat is cut whilst it is fully conscious, believe me, reciting a prayer in arabic does not put the animal into a state of peacefulness, that look they claim is serenity is actually blind terror.

This goes as well for a lot of our big supermarket chains, next time you are in waitrose, ask which meats are halal (barbaricly slaughtered). They have no legal obligation to tell you on the packet but if it were the other way round, there would (and obviously is) uproar.

Is there any wonder folks get het up?

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-02-03 9:53 AM

My niece's school changed over to halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat and served it to everyone because 30% of the pupils were Muslim. When non Muslim parents complained, they were told it was too costly to have different meat suppliers and that they had to ensure halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat was not prepared in the same kitchen as normal meat to appease the minority.

It's also happened at McDonalds, KFC and Dominos Pizza stores, when you walk in, look for a small arabic symbol on the door, this will tell you that halal (barbaricly slaughtered) meat is used in that kitchen. I enquired with one of the staff the last time I took a friends kids into KFC, the girl behind the counter went and asked and told me they did use it, I asked if she understood what it meant, she said no so I went into great detail about the process. It was sad but satisfying to see her and several others nearly being sick when they discovered the methods used to kill animals by halal (barbaric method). The same goes for meat that is kosher before I am accused of inciting dislike.

I doubt that anyone on here has witnessed ,not heard of, but actually stood next to a calf or goat that is held down whilst it throat is cut whilst it is fully conscious, believe me, reciting a prayer in arabic does not put the animal into a state of peacefulness, that look they claim is serenity is actually blind terror.

This goes as well for a lot of our big supermarket chains, next time you are in waitrose, ask which meats are halal (barbaricly slaughtered). They have no legal obligation to tell you on the packet but if it were the other way round, there would (and obviously is) uproar.

Is there any wonder folks get het up?

Not John 47, he'll be along shortly to put you right ;-) Mind you if he's wearing his Burqa you won't recognise him ;-)

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/halal/does-mcdonalds-use-halal-meat-and-if-so-which-meats-are-halal.html

Does McDonald's use halal meat and if so, which meats are halal?

1) Does Mc Donalds use halal meat? 2) If Mc Donalds does use halal meat, then which meats are halal, or are they all halal?

Thanks for your question. None of our food is certified as Halal and we have no current plans to introduce Halal food to any of our restaurants in the UK.

Guest 1footinthegrave
CliveH - 2013-02-03 10:21 AM

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/halal/does-mcdonalds-use-halal-meat-and-if-so-which-meats-are-halal.html

1) Does Mc Donalds use halal meat? 2) If Mc Donalds does use halal meat, then which meats are halal, or are they all halal?

Thanks for your question. None of our food is certified as Halal and we have no current plans to introduce Halal food to any of our restaurants in the UK.

Hurrah, one down , God knows how many more to go......................... ;-) not that I eat McDonalds :-S

CliveH - 2013-02-03 10:21 AM

Hmmm Very clever selective editing from a McDonalds website.

You forgot to mention that they admitted to trials at an earlier stage but claim to have stopped them.

McDonalds restaurants are largely run on a franchise basis, so believe me, when an outlet in a predominantly Muslim area starts to lose money because of the policy regarding meat supplies, the franchisee will act acordingly.

Also, please note that they used the same stock answer to nearly every question on the website by using the phrase "Halal certified" they never once say that they never use Halal slaughtered meat.

And then this little bombshell appeared............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319218/Chicken-McHalal-An-MoS-investigation-reveals-halal-meat-IS-used-McDonalds-popular-meals.html#axzz2JgVmEQNP

No it is not selective Donna - I just googled it at that was just one of the links that came up stating that McD's do not use Halal meat. The link is there so the full data is available to all.

All McD's meat products come from a central supplier - individual franchisees do not have the power to source outside of the franchise agreement.

And McD's have stated that they do not use Halal meat.

Our local Kebab house is run by a Turkish family and they do use Halal meat - I eat there - no problem.

And the Daily Wail link you gave Donna does not really support what you say:--

In a statement to The Mail on Sunday, McDonald's said: 'As a result of your enquiries, our investigation has confirmed that some halal chicken has entered our supply chain without our knowledge, and we apologise to our customers for this.

Food chain: Halal poultry has been used in popular menu items such as Chicken McNuggets and the McChicken Sandwich in its 1,200 British outlets

'While is it not a quality issue, halal chicken is outside of our specification. We have received assurances from Cargill that halal meat production from this abattoir has now stopped.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319218/Chicken-McHalal-An-MoS-investigation-reveals-halal-meat-IS-used-McDonalds-popular-meals.html#ixzz2JpfbMK9G

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So this was very much an abattoir supplying this meat without McD' knowledge - it was not an active decision by McD's to do this as you suggest in your post.

Very similar I would suggest to Tesco's et al with the dobbin Burgers

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mark my words a big compensation claim coming, no doubt John47 and Co will be happy to pay their share of it >:-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
CliveH - 2013-02-03 11:06 AM

Yep - if Pork is involved it will be the Jews who are claiming compensation.

And if the Cathlics did not get their fish on Friday!!

Well the Jews are just as barmy,

I don't know much about the catholics apart from the paedophile priests, it seems they want more than fish.

Can I sue for unwittingly eating Halhal when it's against my principles,no thought not, different rules apply.

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-03 11:36 AM

Can I sue for unwittingly eating Halhal when it's against my principles,no thought not, different rules apply.

Actually, I think you should be able to. If the article you bought is not as described and if, because of that, you are caused distress then you would have a pretty good case. The rules ARE actually the same for everyone.

Dave

Hi

The answer to that is clearly that we should not be if we don't want to. I have no objection to anyone selling Halal meat provided that it is clearly marked so that any potential buyer has an informed choice. The problems arise when we are not told what we are eating - be it halal or horse.

I do, however, find it odd that some people claim halal is barbaric and "our" methods are humane - they clearly haven't been inside a factory pork farm or a chicken battery house. I am a meat-eater but I do sometimes wonder about the way what I eat has been produced - and whose to say whether our methods are less barbaric than halal? The only logical answer is to become a vegetarian - but I like bacon too much for that!

Guest 1footinthegrave
There is no requirement at all for Halhal slaughtered meat to be so labelled, the inference being it all could be, and so that appears once again to be pandering to minority groups and the expense of the majority once again.

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-03 12:34 PM

There is no requirement at all for Halhal slaughtered meat to be so labelled, the inference being it all could be, and so that appears once again to be pandering to minority groups and the expense of the majority once again.

You'll be pleased to know that the government is considering proposals to ensure that it is so-labelled.

John 47 - 2013-02-03 12:19 PM

Dave

I do, however, find it odd that some people claim halal is barbaric and "our" methods are humane - they clearly haven't been inside a factory pork farm or a chicken battery house.

Be careful John, you are going against your argument that we can't tar everyone with the same brush (see thread on Islamic terrorists)

F.Y.I. The state of intensive FARMING, has no bearing on the process of SLAUGHTER. The majority of poultry and pig farms are not licenced to slaughter their livestock. Those that are are usually small independant farmers who certainly do not fall into the same catagory and most sell the meat in their own farm shops.

HALAL refers to the method of KILLING the animal, not the way it is reared. As does slaughter in the conventional sense. To associate one with the other is incorrect.

A quick google search will inform you that chickens from the same source are sent to both Halal and conventional process plants.

Also F.Y.I. I abhor both Halal slaughter and battery farming, and have been active in the campaigning to have the latter abolished.

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-02-03 12:47 PM

Dave

I do, however, find it odd that some people claim halal is barbaric and "our" methods are humane - they clearly haven't been inside a factory pork farm or a chicken battery house.

Be careful John, you are going against your argument that we can't tar everyone with the same brush (see thread on Islamic terrorists)

F.Y.I. The state of intensive FARMING, has no bearing on the process of SLAUGHTER. The majority of poultry and pig farms are not licenced to slaughter their livestock. Those that are are usually small independant farmers who certainly do not fall into the same catagory and most sell the meat in their own farm shops.

HALAL refers to the method of KILLING the animal, not the way it is reared. As does slaughter in the conventional sense. To associate one with the other is incorrect.

A quick google search will inform you that chickens from the same source are sent to both Halal and conventional process plants.

Also F.Y.I. I abhor both Halal slaughter and battery farming, and have been active in the campaigning to have the latter abolished.

Your quite correct in the points you raise, but John47 seems to think because some intensive farming practices are carried out, which many right minded people are against, that somehow mitigates what to many consider inhumane slaughter.

The bottom line is try going to a Muslim country and insist that your sensibilities are catered for, NO CHANCE.

As this has turned from an observation into the way we pander to prisoners in our jails when they have committed terrible crimes against the population, we honor their religious beliefs because we don't want to upset the PC apple-cart this is fundamentally wrong in my opinion when in jail you should do, eat and behave how you are told no arguments or variations.

However when it comes to meat and the way it is killed the abattoir owners would have you believe that all is nice and clinical and all the killing is done by the book, but picture this production line of perhaps 50 or more restless animals lined waiting up to be stunned prior to being bled (hung up by the back legs and throat cut) the stunning device fails what do you think would happen? Remember this is a killing production line where no meat produced = no money. Would the slaughter men 'who are probably on a bonus system' with their razor sharp knives wait for the stunning device to be fixed or would they carry on? I would wager carry on regardless.

There is no nice way to kill animals for meat I can accept this and enjoy meat however if this scenario upsets you then the answer is simple don't eat meat.

donna miller - 2013-02-03 12:47 PM

Dave

And exactly how does my view on this go against tarring eveyone with the same brush?

My view on the way meat is produced is that some people seem to think that the only thing that is important is the way the animal is slaughtered but I believe that it is just as barbaric to treat the animal badly while it is being reared as it is to kill it in a way that some regard as barbaric. I would not like to say which is the most barbaric. Different people have different views and that is fine - but to put all the blame at the door of one particular way of producing food seems to me to be hypocritical.

Archived