Ebay Seller withdraws bid!

Bulletguy

Spotted a Fiamma awning on ebay earlier today which had only gone on this morning. Exactly the right size i'm after and brand new never fitted. Seller had it on Auction only, no BIN option, at a start bid of £250 so I banged on a bid.

Imagine my surprise when five minutes later I get email stating my previously confirmed bid had been withdrawn!!

Contacted the Seller to ask why and he's just replied saying someone offered him £250 so he let them have it. Needless to say i'm bl**dy fuming and i emailed him back saying had he put it on with a BIN option i would have paid him that.......but he didn't give that option.

Not sure why this would annoy you so much, if he'd done a BIN he'd have paid selling fees so it would have cost him £25 plus the listing fee, so by selling it 'off' Ebay he's saved himself some dosh!

I must admit I did this recently with a free-standing awning - I got what I wanted for it and the chap has got what he wanted for the price he was willing to pay - no selling fees meant I didn't need to ask for more to cover them so we were both happy.

I can fully understand why you are annoyed. The ethos of ebay autions is you do not expect items to be withdrawn. Unfortuately a lot of seller carry out this practice and of course gets a lot of peope's backs up when it happens. It is not good practice and sellers should refrain from doing it unless thay have a very good reson for doing so, a better offer outside ebay not being a good reason in most bidders mind.

There is nothing worse than bidding on an item, locking you in so you cannot bid on others for fear of wiining both, miss those other items to have the one you bid on withdrawn....time wasting and annoying.

The CORRECT way to do it is to INFORM Buyers that the Item is advertised elswhere, and that a withdrawell from sale is possible. That way every one is aware it could happen,when they place a bid.

If they didn't inform, then I agree, they should be 'Struck off' or whatever.

There is nothing worse than having a 'Binding rule' for buyers and a 'Flexible Rule' for sellers.

NOT the ethos that E-bay was built on. (ps It has happened to me too, so i always stick to BIN sales only now). Ray

I can understand you being annoyed, I would have been too. suprised at you Mel.

Rayjsj - 2013-02-03 11:50 AM

The CORRECT way to do it is to INFORM Buyers that the Item is advertised elsewhere, and that a withdrawell from sale is possible. That way every one is aware it could happen,when they place a bid. If they didn't inform, then I agree, they should be 'Struck off' or whatever.

There is nothing worse than having a 'Binding rule' for buyers and a 'Flexible Rule' for sellers.

NOT the ethos that E-bay was built on. (ps It has happened to me too, so i always stick to BIN sales only now). Ray

I can understand you being annoyed, I would have been too. surprised at you Mel.

That was the excuse given which was certainly not entirely honest.

It had only been listed that day and I placed the first bid a few hours later when I got ebay email in my inbox and saw it.

If someone had genuinely advertised it say in their local paper.....why would you then go and stick an advert on ebay incurring further cost? And as you say, the Seller had not indicated it was "advertised elsewhere and could be withdrawn". I have seen items on ebay which have clearly stated this and i'm ok with that as it has been made clear by the Seller. In this case it wasn't which is why I doubt the reason given for withdrawing.

Also if you have a fixed price in mind....an absolute minimum you want.....then you would use the Buy it Now option.

Ebay is a good source but unfortunately there are one or two plonkers and oddballs that just don't know how to use it.

There are some real idiots on Ebay. I've just sold this morning a laptop as I treated myself to a new one. Nothing wrong with the old one. I put a starting price and a BIN which disappeared when first bid went on, thsi stayed for 4 days when I get notice from Ebay that bid had been withdrawn as 'wrong amount entered', so BIN appears back on listing. Next there is a bid again from a different buyer who after bidding starts asking technical questions about it, which not being a computer buff I couldn't answer. He even wanted me to remove certain covers underneath for information. I told him I was not prepared to dismantle it and that he should have asked questions before bidding. Then another bidder outbids him, only for me to get a message saying 'can I not pay as I don't want it'. I asked 'why bid then' and he replies I don't want it as it has no harddrive or battery. The listing clearly stated it had a 60gb harddrive and battery lasted about 30 minutes. He then says he will have it but could I wait until Feb 13 as he has not been paid. Luckily he was outbid and the winner has already paid. All this for £36, is it worth the bother?

We sold our old tractor lawn mower on e bay and advertised it as in need of a service and a new drive belt but when done it would work but probably best to use as spares. It was just old. First one who won obviously didnt read the ad as once won he then asks if he can see it working when he collected it!!!!!! When we pointed out the ad he then said he didn't want it as he wanted a working one......durrrrrr. So we had to readvertise and sell again. Fortunately, the second buyer had read the advert and it was exactly what he wanted.

Moral.....read the ad carefully.

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2013-02-03 11:50 AM

The CORRECT way to do it is to INFORM Buyers that the Item is advertised elswhere, and that a withdrawell from sale is possible. That way every one is aware it could happen,when they place a bid.

If they didn't inform, then I agree, they should be 'Struck off' or whatever.

I can understand you being annoyed, I would have been too. suprised at you Mel.

sorry thats OK in principal and on a BIN sale....but once auction started and bids in its out of order IMO to withdraw bids! *-)

Ebay's rules are that you can withdraw an item up to 12 hours before the end time so the seller although not that ethical has not done anything wrong.

As for others comments on ebay sales you you do get a few people out there that try it on and would never do it if buying face to face but overall it works quite well I sell 300 - 4 00 items a month on ebay without too many problems.

Just to come back at some of the comments above:

- I did say it was advertised elsewhere

- there were NO bids on it with only a few watchers (lurkers with one to sell to?)

- the person who was after it wanted it quickly (ie before the auction ended)

I would have done a BIN however the rules on this have changed and whereas before you could eg put a starting price of £100, with a BIN price of £101, now the BIN prices has to be at least 10% HIGHER than the starting price - so with a starting price of £100 (the minimum you'd take) you then have to put a BIN price of at least £110. In my experience all that tends to happen then is that people immediately put a bid on which then removes the BIN price so you've usually paid for that facility for nothing.

I've also had the same aggro as stated above with winning bidders not completing the purchase and you're then left to try to get your selling fees back from Ebay and have to list it/deal with queries etc all over again, so, if Ebay got it's act together to prevent the aggro etc and didn't keep messing about with the rules, or upping their fees, I would cetainly continue to use it as it was intended, as I always used to, but not now.

We brought a Ventura motorhome freestanding awning the other day on ebay, all photos showed the new version with 3 x removable sides etc, in very good condition only used half a dozen time since new. So we purchased it and arranged our own carrier.

When it arrived it was nothing like the photos, probably 10 plus years old, in very average condition and the smell, we stuck it outside for fumigating.

We chased up ebay and got our money refunded, the seller did not want the item back ( I am not surprised) but we are still the cost of the carrier out of pocket.

Melvin - 2013-02-03 4:46 PM

We brought a Ventura motorhome freestanding awning the other day on ebay, all photos showed the new version with 3 x removable sides etc, in very good condition only used half a dozen time since new. So we purchased it and arranged our own carrier.

When it arrived it was nothing like the photos, probably 10 plus years old, in very average condition and the smell, we stuck it outside for fumigating.

We chased up ebay and got our money refunded, the seller did not want the item back ( I am not surprised) but we are still the cost of the carrier out of pocket.

Sorry that you had a problem, you do have to be careful with some stuff. The key is knowing exactly what questions to ask - you shouldn't 'assume' anything - it is not unknown for the wrong pictures to be used as often if it is an older item, there won't be a photo of the original one to use. I sold a Movelite awning recently and the chap who subsequently bought it rang me (I always put a phone number on to avoid lots of stupid emails via Ebay!) and it turned out he'd been confused as another seller who had listed a Movelite awning but it was a different model, however he was using the SAME picture as me. I was able to tell te chap that what I was selling was EXACTLY what I had shown in the pciture, whereas the other seller had just used a stock photo of one of the manufacturer's awnings without checking that it was the correct model. I subsequently emailed the other seller to let him know that he was using the wrong picture so if someone was definitely going by that (ie they weren't aware it was the wrong one) they would be sorely disappointed when they received it as it probably wouldn't 'fit' what they wanted it for.

paulmold - 2013-02-03 12:54 PM

There are some real idiots on Ebay. ............All this for £36, is it worth the bother?

You're right Paul; but it's a lot easier than taking things to a carboot, particularly over winter.

You just have to apply the "why am I selling it.......and would I buy it" test.

If yes, it's worth the effort: if no then recycle it or put a hammer thro' it; any grey areas will only cause you grief. ( I'm mostly talking about used goods; although WYSIWYG applies in both cases, and if it looks too good to be true........it's probably a lie. IMHO

cheers

alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave

It's Ebay...................................................I've been p*ssed about with more than once, bought some total crap, but also the occasional bargain too.

Surprising how many mobile phones have no chargers though ! ! !

As for auctions the problem now that everyone has broadband as opposed to the old days of dial up, is people tend to wait for the last few seconds before bidding, so it could well be the bloke thought better to grab his money and run, Ebay could easily sort this by automatically adding say 20 seconds to extend the finish time, every time someone places a bid, I did email them with the suggestion, but got nowhere. :-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 2:42 AM

Ebay could easily sort this by automatically adding say 20 seconds to extend the finish time, every time someone places a bid, I did email them with the suggestion, but got nowhere. :-(

Don't be silly they are not interested unless it something that will make them even more money. Just look at what they have done over the last few years, sellers can not leave negative feedback, so no matter how s**t a customer is you can't warn others, they have reduced our power sellers discounts and with the stupid star rating it only takes a few buyers to click the wrong star (it's easy to to do I've done it by accident) and I lose my Top rated seller status & discount.

Mel B - 2013-02-03 8:38 PM

Melvin - 2013-02-03 4:46 PM

Sorry that you had a problem, you do have to be careful with some stuff. The key is knowing exactly what questions to ask - you shouldn't 'assume' anything - it is not unknown for the wrong pictures to be used as often if it is an older item, there won't be a photo of the original one to use. I sold a Movelite awning recently and the chap who subsequently bought it rang me (I always put a phone number on to avoid lots of stupid emails via Ebay!) and it turned out he'd been confused as another seller who had listed a Movelite awning but it was a different model, however he was using the SAME picture as me. I was able to tell te chap that what I was selling was EXACTLY what I had shown in the pciture, whereas the other seller had just used a stock photo of one of the manufacturer's awnings without checking that it was the correct model. I subsequently emailed the other seller to let him know that he was using the wrong picture so if someone was definitely going by that (ie they weren't aware it was the wrong one) they would be sorely disappointed when they received it as it probably wouldn't 'fit' what they wanted it for.

Hi, it would appear the seller was being less than honest, the seller took photos of someone else motorhome and awning, or, the did not get the price they expected and switched the awning, another ebay asked question, the seller went out of their way to mislead them as well.

Anyway, when the weather picks up the wife is going to give it a good clean and inspection. We will then put it back on ebay with real photos and an honest description, and hopefully get £50.00 to cover my costs.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-02-04 9:15 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 2:42 AM

Ebay could easily sort this by automatically adding say 20 seconds to extend the finish time, every time someone places a bid, I did email them with the suggestion, but got nowhere. :-(

Don't be silly they are not interested unless it something that will make them even more money. Just look at what they have done over the last few years, sellers can not leave negative feedback, so no matter how s**t a customer is you can't warn others, they have reduced our power sellers discounts and with the stupid star rating it only takes a few buyers to click the wrong star (it's easy to to do I've done it by accident) and I lose my Top rated seller status & discount.

Your absolutely right, I have a pal ( Ebay I.D bargain-laptops ) who is really fed up to the back teeth with Ebay, but as he has sunk the best part of 10 years in to his Ebay business and is kind of stuck with the shysters

what a pity there is no viable alternative, though many I know are more and more selling locally through Facebook, so no charges whatsoever, bloody Ebay I'd personally like to see them go down the pan.but for the likes of my mate and you of course >:-) MInd you now that the likes of Argos are on there not much chance of that, they are not really interested in the small guys anymore, even though my pal grosses 8 to 10 K a month with them.

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 6:02 PM

Your absolutely right, I have a pal ( Ebay I.D bargain-laptops ) who is really fed up to the back teeth with Ebay, but as he has sunk the best part of 10 years in to his Ebay business and is kind of stuck with the shysters............even though my pal grosses 8 to 10 K a month with them.

I think I could put up with a few 'shysters' here 'n there for the sake of £120k pa........as i'm quite sure your mate does too! ;-)

Of course if he really is so 'fed up'........he could always go shelf stacking in some Supermarket for £12k pa instead. (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bulletguy - 2013-02-04 9:29 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 6:02 PM

Your absolutely right, I have a pal ( Ebay I.D bargain-laptops ) who is really fed up to the back teeth with Ebay, but as he has sunk the best part of 10 years in to his Ebay business and is kind of stuck with the shysters............even though my pal grosses 8 to 10 K a month with them.

I think I could put up with a few 'shysters' here 'n there for the sake of £120k pa........as i'm quite sure your mate does too! ;-)

Of course if he really is so 'fed up'........he could always go shelf stacking in some Supermarket for £12k pa instead. (lol)

Yes a few pain in the arse merchants do go with the territory. ;-)

As for shelf stacking, Well he did something similar for a great number of years as I did, we were both Bus Drivers for WMPTE in Birmingham on the outer circle 11 route.

But the gross I quoted is just that gross, his average nett profit is not much more than the minimum wage now, he works bloody hard, is in remission with cancer for the last five years, so it's not as good for him as I made it sound. :-( But if you want a good cheap laptop give him a go.....Bargain-Laptops )

Archived