Ebay Seller withdraws bid!

Bulletguy

I have recently sold our motorhome on e-bay well photographed and discribed as honestly as possible. The buyer came up on the train from the other end of the country and I collected them from the station .After a coffee and a snack they had a good look around it and were more than impressed with the condition . We then went to the bank did an immediate money transfer brought them back home again and handed over the keys and waved them goodbye. A good sale to a very nice couple a lot more money in the pot than was offered as a trade in , so a good result all around all for less than £15 . We had it advertised on some other free ad sites and declared it to be removed if sold . E-bay has its drawbacks but I usually check what other bidders / sellers have been buying / selling to get an idea if they are timewasters or not.

Sounds good, I have noticed lately that a lot of sellers fail to post any feedback, they seem to expect it, some even sending messages to ask.

E-Bay is NOT just a 'Sellers' market, without Buyers no-one gets any business.

There are just as many 'Idiots' or 'Dishonest folk' selling on there. I try to steer clear of 'E-Bay Business sellers' as they are usually the worst. (from my experience). Ray

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-02-05 11:52 AM

Rayjsj - 2013-02-05 11:20 AM

I try to steer clear of 'E-Bay Business sellers' as they are usually the worst. (from my experience). Ray

Nice of you to say that about me Ray. :D

Yes and my Pal, Peter

eBay Top-rated seller

bargain-laptops

Consistently receives highest buyer ratings

Dispatches items quickly

Has earned a track record of excellent service ;-)

Perhaps he's using the wrong ones, the only time I've had total crap is of private sellers, so we don't all share the same experience, but feedback scores tell you an awful lot. :-)

I usually look on Ebay and Amazon for an idea of the price and then go and find it cheaper elsewhere.

There are good and bad on both sides of the deal and Ebay do not help either way. Recently I sold some Hifi gear - The winning bidder didn't even bother to contact me, despite sending a couple of emails and leaving text messages on his unanswered mobile.

I offered a "second chance" to the next bidder down who rang me and said he would love to have it and would be over to pick it up later that same evening. He rang me back an hour later and said that as it was not wifi to the rear speakers he didn't want it (described as not wifi in the advert). I ended up selling to the third in the list for considerably less but at least he was one of the good guys with excellent communications and paid immediately.

Where was Ebay in all this - being a pain in the rear over charging me for the 1st aborted sale and then condescending in giving me a credit for the charges. Also - I looked back on the 1st "buyers" feed back (which was over 100 positive) to find that several people had given positive feedback only to say in the blurb that he had not paid or collected the goods. I reported him and gave no feedback as you can't give negative feedback to a buyer!

Guest 1footinthegrave

" I reported him and gave no feedback as you can't give negative feedback to a buyer"

This is one of the most annoying aspect to Ebay since they changed that policy, why should they care though, it's not them that are messed about, (it's not nice to insult people)s/

>:-(

Ah a bit of clever software on Out and about live, I called them T*o*ssers, and it automatically got changed when I posted. ;-)

Rayjsj - 2013-02-05 11:20 AM

Sounds good, I have noticed lately that a lot of sellers fail to post any feedback, they seem to expect it, some even sending messages to ask.

I've eventually 'sorted' that problem Ray after endless amounts of 'lost' feedback points through sellers/buyers too lazy to respond.

As a BUYER I expect feedback the minute i've made payment as I have then completed my part of the deal by paying. If they don't post feedback to me.......they don't get any off me. A good Seller (usually Traders) have their ebay account set to 'auto feedback' so the minute anyone makes a purchase from them, feedback get's placed to the buyer.

As a SELLER I follow my own 'rules' and as soon as the buyer has made payment....then I give them positive feedback. I ask that they will leave feedback to me on receipt but this doesn't always happen.

Personally IMO ebay should get rid of the feedback rating and replace it with something else as it's a total nonsense.

Bulletguy - 2013-02-05 3:14 PM

As a BUYER I expect feedback the minute i've made payment as I have then completed my part of the deal by paying. If they don't post feedback to me.......they don't get any off me. A good Seller (usually Traders) have their ebay account set to 'auto feedback' so the minute anyone makes a purchase from them, feedback get's placed to the buyer.

As a SELLER I follow my own 'rules' and as soon as the buyer has made payment....then I give them positive feedback. I ask that they will leave feedback to me on receipt but this doesn't always happen.

As a seller that is the last thing I would do.

A seller can not leave negative feed that leaves the seller wide open to blackmail and believe me it does happen. They don't like what they have brought even though the item is perfect they then threaten the seller with negative feedback if they don't give them a discount knowing the seller can not leave them negative feedback. It has happened a couple of times to me (I only sell new branded products) and I've had eBay remove the negatives, there are some advantages to being a Power Seller not many though.

lennyhb - 2013-02-05 4:20 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-02-05 3:14 PM

As a seller that is the last thing I would do.

A seller can not leave negative feed that leaves the seller wide open to blackmail and believe me it does happen. They don't like what they have brought even though the item is perfect they then threaten the seller with negative feedback if they don't give them a discount knowing the seller can not leave them negative feedback. It has happened a couple of times to me (I only sell new branded products) and I've had eBay remove the negatives, there are some advantages to being a Power Seller not many though.

A Seller not leaving Feedback in case he leaves himself open to 'threats' from the buyer leaving negative feedback.??!!! Sorry Lenny but that is the most pathetic excuse for not placing feedback i've ever heard!

Look it's quite simple.

Once a Buyer has made payment......their side of the deal has been completed.......so you, as the Seller should respond to that by placing them positive feedback. The Buyer simply has no more left to do.

As a Seller you still have your side of the deal to complete.

1) Dispatch of goods

2) On receipt of goods, have they been correctly described as per 'item description' or has the description been misleading? (eg, only the other day I received an item described as new when on receipt it was patently obvious it was a faulty return, so had previously been sold. I sent it back immediately).

BIB is easily solved Lenny....look under Customer Support > Rules and Policies.

Buyers aren't allowed to threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings to force a seller into:

• Providing goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price

• Giving a refund

• Accepting a return

• Other situations covered in our Feedback extortion policy

How are we protecting sellers against Feedback abuse?

Getting a good unblemished 'Feedback' score is important to BOTH parties in the sale, I don't agree with sellers NOT being able to leave bad feedback on a buyer who doesn't follow the rules. It just devalues the whole 'Feedback' system. What constitutes a Negative feedback (from a Seller) that E-Bay 'pulls it' ?

I have had sellers (business) who refused to send the Item, because the price hadn't acheived what they were hoping for !! I had already paid 'instantly' with pay pal. They hadn't put in a 'reserve' !! (idiot).

Pressure from E-bay (and pay pal) made them eventually send the item. I have had an item withdrawn from sale 2 minutes before the sale ending, i suspect for the same reason as above. MOST, thank goodness, sellers, are genuine. And I dare say there are quite a few 'Rogue' buyers ? But the feedback system has worked reasonably well for me. less than 100% and you KNOW you are taking a chance.

I pay ONLY with Pay Pal, as I don't like giving my Debit card no. to 'All and sundry'. And only accept payment the same way, it does cost, but better safe than sorry. Ray

lennyhb - 2013-02-05 8:56 PM

I'm sorry can not agree with you, as you are so adamant what you say is the right way of doing, what is your level of experience on eBay? My feed back is only 20,300 perhaps I don't have as much experience as you.

Which is all the more surprising that you believe posting positive feedback to a Buyer who has completed his part of 'the contract', leaves you open to 'threats' and 'blackmail' of which eBay does have procedures in place for any aggrieved party.....should that occur.

I'm not a Trader like yourself but knew about the procedure which is easily found. FWIW i've used eBay since 2000.

Rayjsj - 2013-02-06 11:38 AM

Getting a good unblemished 'Feedback' score is important to BOTH parties in the sale, I don't agree with sellers NOT being able to leave bad feedback on a buyer who doesn't follow the rules. It just devalues the whole 'Feedback' system. What constitutes a Negative feedback (from a Seller) that E-Bay 'pulls it' ?

I have had sellers (business) who refused to send the Item, because the price hadn't acheived what they were hoping for !!

Ray

I agree it is a mess and does need a serious re-think. Maybe it needs doing away with altogether? I don't know what the answer is, but one of the main the reasons ebay stopped Sellers giving negatives was the continual 'tit for tat' that raged between Seller/Buyer with comments getting out of hand.

On the whole most Traders i've bought from are good, even some Chinese....they are either very good or plain atrocious!

I had one UK Trader 'pull' an item I put a bid on in the final few seconds! How he managed to do it I don't know, but my bid was rejected and as his phone number was listed I telephoned to ask what it was all about. He openly admitted he pulled it because he wasn't prepared to sell at that price and had expected more bids. When I asked why he hadn't put a reserve on it or BIN price, he had no answer.

There will always be those who are unethical or not particularly keen to conduct 'straight' business, but I feel they are in a minority.

I used to post feedback once customers had paid but when eBay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback it moved the goalposts and left sellers vulnerable. I now have it set to leave positive feedback once positive feedback has been received which works for me.

I think it was a step backwards when e-bay stopped listing buyers reference names.

Many times I noticed the same name appearing to start off a buyers sale and yet again if the bidding slowed up. Some times if this bidder ended up buying the item, it would appear again and again the bidding was started by the same bidder

I pointed this practice out to e-bay and was informed that it was introduced to protect the bidder from abuse?

By using the bidders id you could track where they came from and some were obviously husband and wife

This is one of the reasons I do not bid on private auctions

lennyhb - 2013-02-06 2:06 PM

I used to post feedback once customers had paid but when eBay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback it moved the goalposts and left sellers vulnerable. I now have it set to leave positive feedback once positive feedback has been received which works for me.

Ah then maybe you might just be one of the six reprobates i've bought from recently who failed to post feedback. That's fine by me.....because they won't be getting feedback off me either.

I also have mine 'set' to ensure positive is left for every Trader I purchase from who has his site set to give feedback when i've completed my part of the deal.....item payment. ;-)

this is very interesting. I have sold quite alot of stuff on ebay (about 900 items) and used to leave positive feedback to sellers as soon as they had paid.

Unfortunately I had a few instances of buyers claiming that items had not been posted (I found that they had put the wrong address on Paypal) or claiming that the goods were faulty (they weren't) and unless they received a refund they would post negative feedback.

I have also had idiots not paying for items they have won due to their inability to actually see what is for sale.

For these types I leave positive feedback (all that I can do) but in the text column I tell the truth to warn other sellers. :-> Sometimes they get in a bit of a tizzy!

Ebay is far too much geared towards buyers and sellers are given little or no help

As a seller, we don't leave feedback until we've received it from the buyer, this is because we've had too many idiots/wasters mess us about saying they hadn't received items (errr ... yes you have because you signed for it on delivery!), or they were damaged (not the way that I pack them they aren't!!!). We even had one woman who bought a brand new tent (sealed in its box) off us who went on holiday and used it for two days, then damaged it and tried to claim it was faulty as it wouldn't stay up anymore ... so how did she put it up and get it to stay that way in the first place then!!! 8-) It is annoying that she was able to affect what had been our 100% positive feedback which we'd had for many a year, but we couldn't do the same for her.

As a buyer we usually wait until we've received items and check they are as we expected/work okay etc, then we'll leave feedback for the seller. If we then have a problem we can sort it out with the seller beforehand and only post positive feedback if it has been resolved.

Archived