Serchforsites updated

Guest searchforsites

Guest searchforsites

I have updated the functionality of the searchforsites website.

Instead of having to pick the region you want to view, you now just drag the crosshairs to the wherever you want to view and all the campsites and aires within a pre defined area will be displayed.

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk

Still a lot to do but I think it's a better search format as you don't always know the name of the region/area that you wish to browse, plus the markers are now not constrained by region so for example if you centre the map on a border you get all the markers in all regions and country's within the search boundaries.

Seems very useful. Only comment is that the icons swamp the map image at smaller scales so that it is difficult to see where you is at (lol)

Can the camp site icons be toggled of / on ? (Maybe me missing the obvious ?)

On the same theme when I zoom out, all the icons stay and an area of the map is obscured

Apart from that, I think its a great site to bookmark

Rgds

Guest searchforsites

Thanks for the feedback.

I have now added a drop down box to select the size of the search area.

The larger the area the more markers are returned but the map is more obscured by the marker images.

I am working on a filter but not got it working yet - checkboxes next to the icons under the key don't do anything at the moment.

Guest searchforsites

Have you tried it with the search range set to 10 or 20 km?

This seems to give the best results in terms of area and markers shown.

There are a couple of methods that could be used to refresh the map. I am using the drag end event which will refresh the map after the user has finished dragging the map, so if you are continually dragging the map it may well jump around a bit.

Hi again...

Yes..I've got set at 10km...I dragged/centred the map to approximate town/location....zoomed in...then drag/"fine tune" onto specific site/area.....and it's at this point it "zooms out" again(..it also shifts it's "centred location" slightly)...

...Never mind,it's still very useful. :-D

Thanks.

Guest searchforsites

To 'refine' your search once you have performed the initial search you are better off using the google map controls on the left of the map to pan up and down and zoom into an area.

If you drag the map it will refresh to the whole area but using the controls doesn't force the refresh.

I have now added a filter as well.

If you click the. + key to icons to the right of the map there is a check box by each of the categories.

If the checkbox is ticked the category will show.

The toggle all should switch all on or off.

Again you have to drag the map to refresh the results.

searchforsites - 2013-02-06 3:30 PM

To 'refine' your search once you have performed the initial search you are better off using the google map controls on the left of the map to pan up and down and zoom into an area.

....but using the controls doesn't force the refresh.

Oh yeah!...I hadn't thought of doing that!? :$

That's better.... (lol)

Thanks!

(,...not quite sure how I've managed to mix these posts up?!..I told you I was ham-fisted... *-) )

Guest searchforsites

Eevn better update - I think -

I have removed the update on the map drag event and added a search facility.

You can still use the drag to centre the map on your desired location or, enter a town or city name to centre the map and press the searchforsites button.

Also added 280 locations for Portugal and a couple more France Passion sites.

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk

Guest searchforsites

Another update....

If you are using a browser that supports geolocation then it will default to your current location.

Also added zoom in and out options on the marker info window.

Unlike the standard zoom in and out which goes in and out in steps, these will zoom into the selected marker position and zoom out to the bounds of all the valid markers shown in a single step.

Guest searchforsites

Pepe

Did it find your current location when you first opened the site?

If it didn't it will default to the centre of France.

Guest searchforsites

If its a Cl or CS the data is downloaded from their own websites and they do seem a little inaccurate but is the same data they use on their own respective sites.

Which site is it?

pm me if you don't want to give away your location or use the contact form on the website (would be a useful test to see if that also works)

searchforsites - 2013-02-08 5:02 PM

Pepe

Did it find your current location when you first opened the site?

If it didn't it will default to the centre of France.

It's not actually loading any map for me now,not until I enter a location(..although I've no idea whether I have this this "geolocation" malarky)..but as you say,initially it did "default/centre" on France.

Guest searchforsites

I know that if you are using Internet explorer it will not show your location.

I have tested it on the following

iPad iOS 5 and ios6

Samsung Galaxy Tab (android 4.1.1)

Samsung Galaxy S2 phone (android 4.0.4)

Firefox

Chrome

Mercury on iPad

All give my location except from my PC which is IE8

Searchforsites.

The actual site is at Copthorne near Crawley Sussex. It is a good open site of many acres and looked after very well. Its a C&C Club and is positioned in East Hill Lane, This is a non through road except for cycling walking and horse riding.

It is also the home of a Vehicle Preservation Group who on occasions have motoring events as well as car boot sales. There is a restaurant within visual distance of the site and a standard pub 500 yds away with a good garden centre within one mile that also serves very good food.

The site also happens to be 200 yds from the annual London to Brigton annual cycle ride held each in June.

The map shows the site position in Dowlands Lane. This is a narrow road and not easy to turn once in it.

Mrs T

Guest searchforsites
Mrs T - 2013-02-08 7:07 PM

Just thought if not wanting to add all the info I suggest it be positioned on the main road which is the B2037 Effingham Road

Updated the location and page with the info supplied - thanks to Mrs T

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markers/16657.php

Also added a directions service to the main map which will show a suggessted route from your current location to the selected poi marker.

May be a bit gimmicky as will only work with browsers or devices that support geolocation and not much use if you are browsing locations in the South of France from the West Midlands :(

:'(

• 4 weeks later...

A passing thought as to how Google trace your position, or not, as the case may be,

Using the passed coordinates Google seems to place some 40 miles from my actual location.

Not too good for Search for Sites but might hide me whilst peer to peer downloading :D

Rgds

Interesting !

I would have thought the default position of a browser not using gps would have been something like 0.000N 0.00E, rather than the default position that my browser gives me Latitude: 51.286894

Longitude: -0.7526149999999999

Wonder if all browsers are the same, or just point to a secret bunker the public should not know about *-)

Rgds

Archived