UK/French TV on a laptop

monty

Has anyone any experience of running a tv on a laptop in a motorhome? I have asked in various shops but they only seem to be available for UK systems and the only advise seems to be to buy a second one in France to use over there. In my ignorance I thought that computers would have got around the problem of incompatability but it appears not. Also the going rate seems to be about £30 for digital or £60 for digital and analogue - Is it worth going for the analogue option or is digital available everywhere now and if so are portable arials good enough to get it?

Monty, I use a Win TV on the lap top, (when we use TV in the van) in the installation of the software you have the option of various frequencies. (PAL-B/K-1-D/K-SECAM) I can only assume that these are for other countries. David. PS the system works well on the lap top I use a 10 element airial bought from Maplins, dont very often have to put it outside, usually wedge it across the roofvent. David

Hi Monty, I sometimes use the laptop in the motorhome for TV at home and abroad, it works very well. Maplins sell the Avermedia pcmcia card (£85), slots into the card bus on the side of the laptop. The card can be configured for worldwide reception, analog and digital TV, as well as FM radio. Using the RF input from a receiver with a satellite dish, you can also pick up all the UK TV and radio programs of course (same system as you use at home on your home TV). Your laptop will likely play DVD's and using Skype you can phone home with a Wi-Fi connection. So its truely multi use and multitasking. We stayed at a camp site at Melun which gave us free internet connection using wi fi, and were able to phone home for no charge! Three M's this month August edition, are offering the Avermedia card for £75 on page 295. I have seen this card at lower christmas prices at Maplins, don't get confused with one they offer at around £50, that one does not have digital TV and not DV3 ready. Whatever you buy make sure its for world wide reception. None of the cards I have seen will receive DAB transmissions, DAB and digital are two different things. The Avermedia card is also HD, DV3 ready providing you buy the £80 one. I use the laptop with the Magic circle aerial which has a booster built in and receive very good signals in UK and France etc.. but I also use a multimo dish and Pace Javelin receiver for UK TV when abroad. Nearly forgot so am editing, its most essential that you either use the laptop power supply with suitable inverter, or purchase a dc to dc converter from maplins, these have a variable output and polarity, so be very - very careful how you set it up for your PC, always check that both the polarity and voltage selection are correct before plugging into your computer every time. Regards Terry

Hi Terytraveller Thanks for the advice. I have now purchased a KWorld NB-TV220 Dual TV Tuner. It is now tuned in and working fine on the UK settings for both analogue and digital and appears to have all the facilities to tune into all other countries including France. All for the princely sum of £72 from Maplin. The aerial that comes with it is no use at all, so I will invest in a portable. As far as the dc adapter goes - my laptop requires 19.5 V and 3.34amps and the price for one of these through Maplins is £35. They do a cheaper one for £10 but this will not have the correct power. Any suggestions? I was hoping to avoid using it through the 24volt hookup in France because of all the scare stories I hear regarding reverse polarity and its likely effect on my expensive laptop. But it looks like I will have to try and get my head around it. On reverse polarity - am I missing something or with a two pin plug is it just a case of trying it one way seeing if a warning light comes on and if so plugging it in the other way? Is it only if you have a three pin connector that there is a problem?

Hi Monty, Okay on your new tuner, I haven't experience of that particular one. About the PSU, the one I use is found at http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=44736&doy=23m7 although you require 19,5 volts you will find it okay using the 19 volt selection, the current capacity will also be adequate. The unit comes with a number of different size plugs, you will need to select the right size for your laptop 19 volt socket. After selecting the right size you have the oportunity of selecting positive tip (most likely) or negitive tip (most unlikely setting), this is the polarity selection I was talking about, and is dependant on which way round you fit your plug on the lead. Selecting the wrong tip and plugging it in to the laptop will most likely damage the laptop. Hence my warning to be very - very careful. If you use your mains adaptor supplied with the laptop, either with an inverter or straight into the camp site supply all will be okay - no worries. Regarding the reverse polarity found on some campsites, if the polarity is reversed it will not effect your laptop power supply, if you look at the label on the power supply, you will find it requires a 100 - 240 volt AC input for the required output to your laptop. Reverse polarity on the campsite and in the camper means that when you switch off at a mains socket in the camper, the live wire is still live but at the neutral pin in the socket. I don't worry about it as there is usually in the camper, a distribution unit which has earth leakage (RCB) protection, and these switches or resetable fuses will cut out anyway. You can of course buy the polarity checkers, a ring main plug top with some LED's in it to indicate reverse polarity on the campsite electrical distribution system. Once detected you then plug in a short extension lead to your hook up cable, with the neutral and live wires reversed in one end or the other. If I know the camp electrics are reversed, I always let the wife fill and plug in the kettle anyway!!! Regards Terry

Hi Terry Thanks again for your help, all this new fangled electricity business is proving a steep learning curve for me. The last time I was in a campervan was thirty years ago and the only electric we had to worry about was a single strip light running off the van's battery. Incidentally in those far off days we used to wave whenever we passed another GB VW Caravette on "the continent" is this still the done thing?

Hi Monty, Only to pleased to be of help, Yes - we all still wave up to each other as we pass - whatever the nationality. Everyone is so friendly, I only wish I could speak fluently in all the languages that we meet. Of course you get a special wave from VW Caravette owners. Since I retired, the wife and I spend 4 months each year (two months at a time) travelling mostly in France, we return to UK for July and August as that is the busiest time in europe. We have a Autocruise Stargazer and find it just the right size for medium to long stays, being 6 metres long its just small enough to negotiate the smaller roads. Are you planning or have you been to europe lately Monty? If you have Skype on your new laptop give me a call Just search for Terry Hart and you will get my number. If you don't have skype, it is free to download and to use, just search for Skype. It will automatically use your laptop internal mike and speakers if you don't have a VOIP phone. Best Regards Terry

Archived