Trip advice for Alsace Region of France

scud24

Hi all,

Iam in the process of planning a trip to the Alsace region,Iam planning on going for about 10 days in early May.Iam kind of thinking of getting down as far Colmar then working my way to the North Vosges region.I have a couple of questions hopefully somebody can help me with.

1.Is there a alternative route that people use other than the Toll road out from Calais,looking at the road map of france apart from using the toll to Reims then on to Metz there doesnt look like a fairly straight forward route to get down to that part of France.Can anybody recommend route that would be a more picturesque and off the toll road which includes Aires or nice camping sites and that would take 2 or 3 days to get there(I was heading towards the Aire site at Kayserburg)

2.Can anybody recommend any nice quiet campsites or aires that around the area of Colmer up to Haguenau/Wissembourg area.Iam planning mixing my stay with payed sites with hook up and aires.

3.If i do go by the toll road does anybody have a rough idea what it costs?Calais or Dunkirk-Reims-Metz-Nancy?

4.Finally is there any "must see" places to visit(Iam not intrested in wine and vineyards!)...birds and wildlife and peace and quiet and a bit of culture in that order!

Any advice is always greatfuly received.

:-D

Guest JudgeMental

no need to pay tolls and motorway all the way.

Calais - Lille - namur - Aire @ hans sur lesse.lovely town - Luxenbourg (cheap fuel) - Metz (free aire outside municipal on river) - E25 towards Colmar

Judge is right (on this occasion) (lol). We traveled that route last May but used ACSI campsite Bon Accueil in Luxembourg as a stop over but stayed 3 nights. It is a long leg from Calais/Dunkirk but a good drive on non toll roads. From Luxembourg we went to a nice site in Eguisheim which has some lovely wine tasting opportunities. I little wobbly on the bike ride back up the small hill to the campsite. Walking would have been more sensible. :$

We headed south from Eguishiem to Lake Konstanz. Innsbruck, and Lake Garda

Have a good trip.

Cant help with routes as I just decide where I going and hit the sat nav option for no tolls!

IF you have a look at last years blog on www.hankthetank.co.uk. The Alsace is the first story under Summer 2012.

We went via Lac de Der in Champagne and then Nancy.

Plenty of good Aires and wild spots. The Route des Cretes and up the Grand Ballon is brilliant. The road goes across several peaks and if the weather is good some great views.

If you need any specific information about where we went let me know.

Its a nice part of France.

Came back this way last October, which I think is pretty much Eddie's route.

A16 (free) Calais to Dunkerque, then right onto A25 (free) to Lille and on to Belgian border where road becomes Belgian A16. Continue past Tournai toward Mons where A16 joins A15. Continue on A15 past Charleroi for Namur where A15 joins A4 south toward Luxembourg. (V. good municipal site at Rochefort (Camping Communal, N50.15956 E5.22619, takes ACSI.) At Luxemburg border A4 becomes A6 Luxemburg. Continue on A6 to junc with A3 south of Luxembourg city, and right onto A3. A3 south to junc with A13, and left onto A13. A13 to German border near Perl, where road becomes A8 toward Saarbrucken. A8 to Saarbrucken. At junc with A5 just south of Saarbrucken take B51 just E of French border to Auersmacher, then cross the Saar into France on N61/D661/D1061 heading for Hambach, Saaralbe, to Siewiller. At Siewiller left onto D722/D133 to Dossenheim-sur-Zinsel, right onto D14/D6 and cross A4 to junc with D1404. Left onto D1404/D1004 to by-pass Saverne and on to Wangen. At Wangen right onto D422 round Molsheim, then pick up D500 south to Obernai. Excellent Municipal at Obernai (Le Vallon de l'Ehn, N48.46460 E7.46750). And, there you are. Interesting town with good supers, and also an aire. Train to Strasbourg etc from Obernai.

Other good sites at Ribeauville (Municipal Pierre de Coubertain, N48.19490 E7.33648), Kaysersberg (Municipal Kaysersberg, N48.14905 E7.25394), Riquewihr (Intercommunal Riquewihr, N48.16203 E7.31687). Lots of others. We thought the Colmar site so-so (Municipal de l'Ill, N48.07773 E7.38692), but it depends on whether they have refurbished the lower facilities block, the upper one was fine. Colmar is eye-candy, as is most of Alsace, and there are many sites.

Yes we've done the route through Belgium and Luxembourg several times. If you don't want to go as far as Luxembourg for the first night then there is campsite at Mons which gives a 10% ACSI discount- Waux Hall, in September it was 11.25 €. Would also recommend Eguisheim and their wine tasting evening !!! plus its a lovely village to walk round and you can get a bus into Colmar from the village which is another place we enjoyed

I found a small, quite and beautiful site with all facilities about 15km from Colmar on the D417, Colmar to Munster Rd. Its in the village of Wihr-au-Val. If coming from Colmar turn left at the sign for the village, over the river, you will see a camp site on the right after abt 100yd, ignore that and carry on up toward the village center D43, abt 50yd before the center the site is on your left and is well signed posted. This is a good stopping place for touring around the Alsace.

We left the van here and caught the train into Colmar, it cost 5euro concessionary rate or 7euro standard. You pay on the train but have ID with you if concessionary fare. On return you pay at the booking office at Colmar.

Dave

Hi

Please bear in mind my comments are made from someone who is retired and in no particular hurry to get anywhere!

We travel quite successfully and, when necessary quite quickly (and much more interesting) without using toll roads or motorways. Our satnav is a Tom-Tom and I am not familiar with other types of satnavs but we set ours for a route requesting "no toll roads" and then check the route on a proper map to see if it's a route we would prefer and tweak if necessary.

Our main argument for this form of travel is that one motorway looks the same as any other motorway in any country and when I was working spent too many hours hurtling up and down all the M's in the UK!

Alan

Guest JudgeMental
Yes but why daudle about in flat, cold, boring countryside when in a day you can be somewhere far more interesting and hopefully warmer...The OP has 11 days *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-02-08 5:27 PM

Yes but why daudle about in flat, cold, boring countryside when in a day you can be somewhere far more interesting and hopefully warmer...The OP has 11 days *-)

I think this is a fair comment. I usually find myself getting the hammer down a bit the first day we arrive at Calais as there is little of Interest for me in Northern France or Belgium until you get either a good way south or east or south West into Normandy and Brittany. .

I know its not the best part (scenery wise) of France, but there are some very nice places in Northern France. I think people are just in a hurry to get further East or South and do miss a lot. Take into consideration that its been one of the worlds biggest (if not the biggest) battlefield area for quite few centuries.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2013-02-08 8:14 PM

I know its not the best part (scenery wise) of France, but there are some very nice places in Northern France. I think people are just in a hurry to get further East or South and do miss a lot. Take into consideration that its been one of the worlds biggest (if not the biggest) battlefield area for quite few centuries.

Dave

Very true and we have done all the battlefields and memorials etc. I think its mainly the fact that by the time we get over there its usually after a long winter back home and all I want to do is head for the sunshine or the mountains.

Must admit Barry to being guilty in the past of just getting away from the ports as fast as possible until doing the battlefield tours. We then found some really nice places not only in northern France but also in Belgium around the Ardenne and Francorchamps. I like to follow the canals and rivers keeping as close as possible to them, they can take you to some unexpected places.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2013-02-08 3:38 PM

I found a small, quite and beautiful site with all facilities about 15km from Colmar on the D417, Colmar to Munster Rd. Its in the village of Wihr-au-Val. If coming from Colmar turn left at the sign for the village, over the river, you will see a camp site on the right after abt 100yd, ignore that and carry on up toward the village center D43, abt 50yd before the center the site is on your left and is well signed posted. This is a good stopping place for touring around the Alsace.

We left the van here and caught the train into Colmar, it cost 5euro concessionary rate or 7euro standard. You pay on the train but have ID with you if concessionary fare. On return you pay at the booking office at Colmar.

Dave

If it will help, the first is, I think, the Aire Naturelle du Moulin (N48.04872 E7.20776), and looks to me a bit like an upmarket aire with all hardstandings. The second seems to be Camping la Route Verte (N48.05163 E7.20512) and is predominantly grassed.

Brian Kirby - 2013-02-08 10:57 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-02-08 3:38 PM

Dave

If it will help, the first is, I think, the Aire Naturelle du Moulin (N48.04872 E7.20776), and looks to me a bit like an upmarket aire with all hardstandings. The second seems to be Camping la Route Verte (N48.05163 E7.20512) and is predominantly grassed.

Cheers Brian, don't have sat nav so couldn't give exact position. Camping la Route Verte is where we stayed, the place was spotless and has trees for shade (it were in the high 80's and low 90's when we got there so the shade was welcome. The Aire Naturelle du Moulin looks more suitable for RV's, Camping la Route Verte is not suitable for RV's

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-02-07 6:17 PM

no need to pay tolls and motorway all the way.

Calais - Lille - namur - Aire @ hans sur lesse.lovely town - Luxenbourg (cheap fuel) - Metz (free aire outside municipal on river) - E25 towards Colmar

Another vote for Metz, as Eddie said a choice of free aire, or municipal next to one another ( imagine that in the UK all within a very short walk in to the very nice city,with riverside walks and gardens and nice architecture and a swimming pool on the doorstep as well.

We then headed for the Vosges Mountains, where can be found Le Struthof concentration camp, left as it was, with a wonderful visitor center , and a very sobering experience set in mountainous and stunning scenery, which make it all the more difficult to get your head around. It's close to the village of Natzwiller, enjoy. Lovely and quiet up in the mountains with interesting war cemeteries and preserved fortifications that we happened upon as well.

Some quite aires as well around the area, Enjoy

Thanks to you all for your advice.Your replies have alll been very helpful and intresting.I dont know if any other people feel the same but i love planning a tour as much as going away and doing it!.The only trouble is as soon as one holiday goes by iam ready to plan the next one!....Loire valley here we come :-D (two weeks in sept/oct).Thanks again to you all

Sorry, came in a bit late to this thread!

Checking our old diaries & maps, it was 2007 when we were in this area.

I agree regarding Metz - well worth a look (although they were digging a lot of it up when we were there!). Eguisheim too is fascinating - although a bit like a medieval theme park! I'd also add:

Nancy, especially Stanislas Square - buildings and paving all in white marble. Wear sunglasses!

Don't go on a Tuesday though, surprising number of places shut all day.

St Louis - if you're into clever (old) engineering, there's a fully-functional inclined plane on the canal there, which you can watch working.

Wasselone, a little W of Strasbourg, had a good Camping Municipal which worked well as a base to visit Strasbourg by bus.

At Sochaux, near Montbeliard, there's a free overnight Aire in the grounds of the Peugeot museum! We found the museum well worth a look - hundreds of exhibits of old vehicles, but also bikes, coffee grinders, washing machines - seems this firm has made just about everything mechanical at one time or another!

If you feel like straying a bit further South, Ste Pointe Lac (on Lac Ste Pointe, surprisingly!) is a pleasant village with a big but peaceful Aire right by the lake.

Of course your tastes may not be ours, but those were some of the highlights of our tour round the area.

Archived