Cadac or BBQ

kelly58

We haven't got one ourselves but it does seem as if cadac owners tend to swear by them...

(...a friend of our's had one but didn't use it much...and they did say it was quite bulky).

For a couple of seasons,we did use a small,cheap "garden" bbq,like the one below. I just left the trolley section and main handle off.It ceratinly worked well enough(..and for the 15-20odd quid it cost from Asda,it was worth trying)and it was of the type that didn't have "coals",I tended to line it with foil to make it easier to clean..

But now,more often than not I just connect up a simple 2 burner gas stove,with either a full griddle plate ora griddle pan on top..as we find it far more versatile and a lot easier to clean up....

1417839687_Gasbbq.jpg.262366b30c3abdf706562c024bf93a5e.jpg

kelly58 - 2013-02-08 11:16 AM

Our new Autotrail Motorhome will have an external gas point for a BBQ the question is which would be best a lightweight gas BBQ or a Cadac ?any recomendations ?.

Hi Kelvyn,

I'm just replying to say, whatever you do don't buy the cheapest one you can find.

I bought a cheappo that you had to assemble from a box of parts. It was rubbish and the gas connection/ flame control was dangerous; I took it back and told them it was dangerous, liable to turn itself into a flamethrower! The shop was not interested.

I'd buy a Cadac, and may do eventually. In the meantime I use a griddle pan on an outdoor hob, not ideal, but works, and is safe,

regards

alan b

snowie - 2013-02-08 12:03 PM

In the meantime I use a griddle pan on an outdoor hob, not ideal, but works, and is safe,

regards

alan b

Yes,that's the conclusion we came to Alan..

I always think that any type of BBQ,be it gas or charcoal,is perhaps better suited to when there's a few of you or if you're staying "at the van" and therefore are making more of an "event" of cooking...

One thing I've been keeping an eye out for,is a large griddle plate,which is smooth one end and ribbed the other(..as opposed to one side ribbed,one side smooth) because they'd be idea for breakfast! ;-)

Hi Kelly,

Have you looked at a Beauclaire? We have had one for several years and cook outside on it whenever we can.

It does the most fantastic full english and we always get comments from people passing by! And as for cooking steaks, they are to die for!!!

Pepe, Have a look at the griddles on the website, they may be just what you are looking for. Link

Happy cooking,

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
when we downsized van last year I got the cadec safari (the smallest one) its an excellent bit of kit and very versatile..dont miss the big one at all

We have a small cadac (the one with screw in cartridges) its o/k but in our opinion its not a replacement for a BBQ the cylinders are expensive (ish) and we find as the cylinders get over half empty the remaining gas pressure in not sufficient for the flame to heat the top plate sufficiently. So now we have just purchased 10 x disposable BBQs from tesco at 87p each 'selling off last years stock i think' light them, cook and throw away easy to take to the beach too.

We bought a Cadac safari last year after finding most campsites in South France have a ban on charcoal BBQs. We have found no problem with the gas Bottles and they can be also bought in France. It’s great for cooking breakfast for 2 on Also used the lid as a Wok to cook up a Chicken curry and rice

I have a Cadac safari, just right for two and packs small, a bit of a bind to clean, I have made a small windbreak to go round it. The other thing you might consider is a Cob in place of a BBQ I have a friend that swears by them and uses the hotplate in the van as well.

I have also considered for when the Cadac has had its life one of those single burners that are portable in their own case, with a gas canister that fits inside about £10 ish. As you can use the pots and pans you carry with you on it and you can sit at the table and cook. This is a space saving idea…

Dr Dave - 2013-02-08 2:11 PM

We have a small cadac (the one with screw in cartridges) its o/k but in our opinion its not a replacement for a BBQ the cylinders are expensive (ish) and we find as the cylinders get over half empty the remaining gas pressure in not sufficient for the flame to heat the top plate sufficiently. So now we have just purchased 10 x disposable BBQs from tesco at 87p each 'selling off last years stock i think' light them, cook and throw away easy to take to the beach too.

Dave - you need one of these then you can use the much cheaper piercable cannisters:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Cooking-Equipment/Fuel-Fire/ADAPTER-PUNCTURE-EDE-ADP#.URVvTWfTcnw

Caroline - 2013-02-08 4:33 PM

I have a Cadac safari, just right for two and packs small, a bit of a bind to clean, I have made a small windbreak to go round it. The other thing you might consider is a Cob in place of a BBQ I have a friend that swears by them and uses the hotplate in the van as well.

I have also considered for when the Cadac has had its life one of those single burners that are portable in their own case, with a gas canister that fits inside about £10 ish. As you can use the pots and pans you carry with you on it and you can sit at the table and cook. This is a space saving idea…

We have 2 types of outdoor cooking 'systems', the first is this which replaces the standard type of gas BBQ but with the benefit that it runs of the cheap aerosol type gas cannisters which you can get just about everywhere:

Gas bbq

and one of these which runs off the same gas cannisters but is smaller than other similar ones as the casing isn't so big as the holder for the gas cannister slides out to make it longer in order to hold the cannister - it is therefore smaller overall and much easier to store:

Gas stove

We put a griddle pan on top if we need to - we find this is best with a bbq anyway as the initial run off of fat from the meat can then be disposed of so it doesn't go all over the bbq itself, then the meat can simply be taken out and put on the bars to finish off and get the bbq flavour.

Hi guys,

Iwould definitely go for Cadac, just pick the size that suits you. We also use ours off a fitted external gas point and find this so handy. Would just check the outlet on your van is the correct type and in a lockable

recess. I have believe it or not seen d.i.y. gas outlets fitted very dangerously IMO.

cheers

derek

Mel B - 2013-02-08 9:36 PM

Dr Dave - 2013-02-08 2:11 PM

Dave - you need one of these then you can use the much cheaper piercable cannisters:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Cooking-Equipment/Fuel-Fire/ADAPTER-PUNCTURE-EDE-ADP#.URVvTWfTcnw

Thanks Mel

We would give the Cadac our vote as well, wonderful piece of kit, the newer versions to ours having a different burner set up are better still though would not tempt me to change ours. We have had other types of BBQ and they don't get close.

We have the origional Mk2 Cadac Global, aluminium plate rather than cast iron, full system. It packs away into one bag and is easily transportable and fits into our outside locker and connects to our external LPG connection.

One piece of advice I would give is to get as long a gas hose as you can, legally the maximum is one metre and some outlets will not sell longer lengths, we use a three metre length and that allows you to move the Cadac away from the van to a suitably level area and out from under the awning as the amount of fat that goes into the air when you are cooking is substantial.

Bas

Cadac everytime. We have the Safari which packs up small and works well on the AutoTrail external BBQ point. What we like is that the burner is stainless steel which lasts for ever, some cheaper models have mild steel burners which may only last two years at most. Our Cadac is now in its sixth season and all we have changed is the gas hose.

Archived