Aire in Gretna area?

jasonvii2002

Hi Guys & Girls,

Just want your thoughts please, would an aire near the Gretna area be useful as i have some land and i'm thinking of converting it? Gretna has great access to both the Lake District the scottish borders as well as plenty of tourist driving routes Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle etc?

Would you use it?

Thanks for looking

:-D

I think people would use it. I may or may not as I only live an hour or so away down in North Yorkshire and tend to pass through on my way to Arran or on my way back but its a convenient spot for many travelling longer distances. Another factor is the location. The main thing that attracts people to Aires is its proximity to pubs, shops etc.

Maybe you should get in touch with the chap who set up the Ambleside Aire as that seems very popular. Im sure there was one set up in the Borders recently as well. http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/news/local-headlines/common_haugh_camper_van_proposal_gets_green_light_1_2077159

Great idea. Good luck

Surely it would actually be a minimum facility site, perhaps limited to five vans like a CC or C&CC CL/CS. Presumably you would charge for the privilege of staying overnight, if not how do you plan to recoup your costs?

Not against the idea I just think the terminology is misleading as many people associate "aires" with an overnight stopover location that is often free of charge.

D.

The Aire at Ambleside is a tenner I think. Water and waste but no EHU. I think its a bit steep and have never stayed on it but its popular because you can walk into town.

The biggest winner for me would be an Aire where you can just turn up and leave when you like. I think even the Amblside one you have to ring up and book.

You then of course need to be around to take the money and check whos on the Aire.

Thanks all for the suggestions people, yes it would be a charge but as for the size not sure that is why i am gauging interest, yes it would be a charge facility so sorry if it was a little vague. I will check out the one at Ambleside and speak to them.

Cheers People!

:-D

We would certainly use it :-D and if you could get it included in the Bord Atlas they are only a few advertised for the U.K in that it would also be used by foreign visitors! we have been asked a few times while in Germany if we have the same over here :-S its a bit embarrassing when you have to answer "not a lot"

We were also asked at Rowntree Park by a Dutch couple , they weren't impressed by the charges they had to pay at the C.C site

If you get it off the ground make sure you try and get a press release and then get it posted on the forums. This one, motorhomefacts, motorhomefun and wildcamping.co.uk. Everyone likes some good news about an Aire opening. A new CL or campsite doesnt mean jot but use the word Aire and everyone gets excited. If you dont want to promote it yourself just PM me and Ill do it (although Im not on FUN anymore).

we would be a defo on that proposal, at least once ayear *-)

the ambleside one we use monthly its good, £10 for as many occupants as you want, good location dont need a hook up anyways click the link below, its about 11 entries down the page, i'm sure Graham would tell you all you want to know, he's a nice bloke

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

jon

Happy to see this venture succeed in future but could someone explain to me the difference between an "aire" and a minimum facilities campsite please? Or are they atually one and the same thing? I've not been to France in a motorhome so not used their "aires" network and therefore have little understanding of the concept or how it difers from our Clubs CL/CS network.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-02-08 7:11 PM

Happy to see this venture succeed in future but could someone explain to me the difference between an "aire" and a minimum facilities campsite please? Or are they atually one and the same thing? I've not been to France in a motorhome so not used their "aires" network and therefore have little understanding of the concept or how it difers from our Clubs CL/CS network.

D.

Aires in France are predominatly laid on by the local town council but there are plenty of private ones as well. They tend to be close to village or town amenities and can either be just a car park with a terminal for waste and water or a field with the same. Many are FOC. Some have EHU and I have been on a few that have EHU and all services included FOC! You turn up and leave when you like and if there is a charge somebody usually calls for the money or more modern ones have barrier entry (credit card).

They are for motorhomes only. No tents or caravans.

A lot more relaxed and free than campsites.

Its a brilliant system. Not just France though. Italy and Germany have a very similar network.

Just to add towhat Barry has said already, and 'aire' usually has less space per vehicle than a CL/CS and you're not supposed to put any chairs etc outside either, although people do so but normally put them away rather than leave them out, you can't put up awnings etc either. The biggest difference though is the location - aires are more likely to be on the edge of the town/village, or in some instances right in the thick of it, you'll struggle to find any CL/CS so conveninently located!

Plus to use a CL/CS you have to be a member of a Club ie; Caravan club or Camping and caravan club.

They are lots of Aires/Stalplatz that you do have the space to put awnings and chairs out, but I think twice now about leaving anything out even on club sites. :-)

Archived