Hire. Try before you buy.

KPBH

KPBH - 2013-02-09 12:44 PM

Anyone able to advise on a dog-friendly motor home hire centre within say 50 miles of Reading please? Cautious newbies need to try before buy.

Many thanks!

Just a aside about hiring. Before we bought our first motorhome, three years ago, we were going to hire one as we were cautious about spending what is a lot of money and finding we did not like the way of life. In the end a motorhome turned up for sale that we did not want to risk losing so we bought it.

We spent a week trying to work out how everything worked even though the seller spent a long time going through everything with us and provided us with a three page idiots guide. It was a bit of an adventure but we both said after we had got used to the van that hiring would have been a waste of time and money as that first week does not give an indication of what motorhoming is like. It is a bit like when you buy a new electronic gadget it is a novelty and quite good fun finding out which button does what but the lasting enjoyment comes from the familiararity of it and using it how you want to.

We love motorhoming and spend early spring to late autumn away in it either in the UK or Europe.

The variety of places you can get to and the different people you meet on aires or sites is the attraction of motorhoming, (also being able to move on if you don't like either at where you have stopped). You can not truly appreciate this until you have had a van for a while.

So I would say take the plunge and buy one, it is a great life style especially if you have the time to get away when you want.

Of course this is only my opinion. I am sure there are others on here who will have a different view.

KPBH - 2013-02-09 12:44 PM

Cautious newbies need to try before buy.

Many thanks!

Hello and welcome;

You don't say when you want to try a van? or how many nights and where you'd go?

I'm probably interfering now, but................... Will a few nights in a strange van, that may not even be the layout you would choose to buy, really help you to decide whether to spend your savings on a motorhome?

I'm doubtful. We thought about it, both of us were certain that we wanted to buy a camper, but we couldn't find a layout that suited; so we designed our own and had it built (PVC).

We found that we enjoyed the reality even more than the idea, and we trusted our judgement. ( I wish I'd done the same with the van purchase! ( 2 AA vehicle inspections told me absolutely nothing, and cost approx £250, and we bought on the basis of my own inspection).

I'm guessing that 5 or 6 nights will cost you £250+ Add some diesel and site fees and you're looking at maybe £400?

To be honest, I think that if you just go away for a weekend, in the car, with the dog, to somewhere you'd go in your van, talk about layouts, budget, places to go, and be really honest, you'll achieve more.

Good luck

alan b

I think hiring first is an excellent idea and if you can hire from a firm that also sells some used to promise to refund your hire fee if you then buy from them - I don't know if any still do?

Even if it turns out that you do enjoy your week it also gives you a valuable insight into which type of van and layout you think you might prefer.

Anything that helps to reduce the risk of getting it wrong has to be a good idea as getting it wrong is flippin' expensive!

If you want to give us an idea of any prior camping or caravanning experience and what type of use you have in mind perhaps some of our resident 'experts' can make a few observations that might, or might not, be helpful?

Either way it's a free service!!

Types of use - regular car substitute transport, short holidays, long holidays, holidays abroad, site use with/without electric hook up, off site use or whatever you have in mind.

Thanks so much for all these prompt replies. Feel like a win-win scenario now!

Tracker kindly asked for more info.

Yes we are experienced campers wanting more comfort and simpler logistics. Will take lots short breaks in UK and at least one long "forage" in France, annually. Have spare car for home use.

The m.home needs to house 2 easy-going bipeds and a large german shep. Would park up abroad: 60% on kosher site, 40% wild or local aires.

Priorities: Living space comfort, dog space, natural light.

Some remaining questions, comments very welcome:

-Unsure about the chore of making up a bed every night. So....fixed bed?

-Unsure about overhang on length of home e.g. sharp steep bends say in Jura or Haute Savoie and our very own Porlock

-Anyone recommend a large-hound-compatible 6m motor?

-Any views on shortcomings servicing/maintaining Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen chassis's compared with good old Henry Ford's?

We've done the NEC, toured a few trade centres and sweated thru mag reviews. Decision so far: "U" rear lounge/diner, Overcab bed, 6.0m-6,2m Ford chassis. 2 - 3 year old.

Go ahead, shoot me out the water!

THanks

KPBH

KPBH

Fixed bed, sub 6 mtr vans are few and far between. Unless you class the over cab bed as a fixed bed.

Quite a few people are not able to get away with the sleeping over the cab because of restricted headroom and the difficulty of the one sleeping at the front not being able to get out in the middle of the night. If you were thinking about doing this a weeks hire would be a essential to ensure you are OK with it.

We don't have a dog but we were on a site last year and in the van next to us was a couple with a largish dog and their van had a raised fixed rear bed which had an open access under the bed to the garage space below and the dog slept in there at night and through the day at times and I assume when travelling. There was also access from outside to the garage for pooch.

I am afraid I don't know the make or the length of the van and it is possible it had been adapted for the dog. It did seem to work very well for them.

Forgot to mention

One of the few problems we have with our 6mtr van is the limited payload available in it.

If you are wanting to carry bikes etc you can soon exceed payload in a number of vans on the market.

There's always a huge debate between those that like a large rear lounge (which has to be converted to a bed at night), and those who prefer a fixed bed. We're in the latter camp, but it's obviously whatever you decide.

The most valuable point for us is the revolving cab seats - really comfortable to sit in during the evening - think two armchairs. And by utilising the space in the cab, you effectively gain extra living space in the van, especially if you want to keep to 6m overall length. Ours van is 5.99m.

Mike

Hi, we owned two Autosleeper Tridents now Autocruise Alto fixed bed. Sadly no dogs anymore. But our two labradors used to love sleeping in the footwells with the seats rotated. Perfect cosy kennels. Fattest one sometimes used to depress brake pedal sometimes and activate light but no problems really.

Archived