4 things on france

tamworthkamper

can anyone help we go to france in two weeks I ve read you have to have 6 months on your pass port my daughters runs out in november question 2 airies cost and basic rules for over night and can you stay in the ones with services e.g fuel restaurant Any one know a good site near lemans thanks to everyone on head light benders I think I ll get the lens not the stick ons If you in france in aug and see compass 120 boxer gives wave and be patient ;-)

Hi, You can park for the night on all service station rest areas, but they generally do not have the Borne Relais available and are noisy. I recommend that you pull off the motorway into a village and find a place to park as it will be safer. Look at the site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm for a camping car rest area, these in general are much safer and have facilities for camping cars. There are a number of books available that give the aires location and parking charges, many Camping Car aires do not charge for parking, if they do charge, its only around 2 to 7 euros. Some charge for fresh water either 2 euro or you may need to purchase a token (jeton), I usually purchase 5 or 6 tokens when I find a shop that sells them at 1 or 2 euros, generally the tokens are all the same size and will work in many bornes that are configured to accept these jetons. Regards Terry

got me thinking! Charles passport expires in November 06, we are off to france aug bank holiday weekend! I went on the passport web site http://www.passport.gov.uk/faqs Why do I need a specified validity period remaining on my passport to travel to certain countries? and I quote 'Some overseas countries have an immigration requirement for a passport to remain valid for a minimum period after entry to that country. The holding of a British passport does not exempt the holder from complying with these requirements. If your passport is in its final year of validity, you are advised to check the requirements of the country of destination before you make your final travel plans. Any questions should be addressed to their consulate or embassy. Your travel agent willl also be able to give you advice on this matter. ' So then looked up info for France which I found on Excite Uk and again I quote 'Passports Passport valid for three months beyond length of stay required by all, except: nationals of EU countries, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino and Switzerland holding valid national ID cards. Note: Nationals of Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg and The Netherlands may seek employment in France on the basis of submitted national identity cards.' So I hope I have interpreted it correctly to say that as we are nationals of an EU country we are ok? Would someone comfirm this please and put my mind at rest thanks Carol

When my ex-boss went to Spain last year he had to do an almighty dash to get a new passport for himself as it ran out 4 months later and he was due to go on holiday 2 days later! If he hadn't they might have kept him there ... but then again they probably wouldn't want to!!

[QUOTE]tamworthkamper - 2006-07-22 9:18 PM  question 2 airies cost and basic rules for over night and can you stay in the ones with services e.g fuel restaurant [QUOTE]

Re aires: they are sometimes free, some charge for parking, most make some charge for water, electricity etc, sometimes from a guardien/ne, sometimes by coin in slot, mostly by tokens you must buy - source of tokens usually on notice in aire.

Be aware that an autoroute aire de service is just that, a service area.  You can overnight on these unless specifically banned but, if you read the reports of robberies of caravanners/motothomers, you will see that most have taken place on service areas.  They attract many birds of passage, including a lot of Europe's riff raff after easy pickings so, if you're looking for peace and quiet with relative security, they are best avoided.  So are the non-services picnic spots on autoroutes, also called aires, but without the pumps and caffs etc.

Get off the autoroutes and main roads and seek out a stopover on a site or aire.  If travelling in peak season, do this before 5pm, or they'll all be full when you arrive!  For greater peace of mind and ease of travel, just avoid the main holiday routes.  If crossing France this is quite easy.  You'll just need better maps and a bit more navigating but the French, on the whole, don't do maps, so they don't use all their lovely quiet D roads.  They just go for the apparently shortest route between two points and hit the "N" roads and autoroutes, where they all meet each other and the Dutch, the Germans, the Swedes, the Danes, the Norwegians, the Belgians, the Brits plus the odd Fin, and a few Eastern Europeans.  Then, they all stop for unexpected en route picnics! 

Instead, seek out the "D" roads and you'll pass by all the jams, drive for ages without encountering another vehicle in either direction, on generally good surfaces, and you'll see much more of the country as you travel.

Bon voyage!

tamworthkamper: Headlights in France: See MMM August 2006, page 17. There was an experimental road-safety campaign in certain parts of France encouraging drivers to use dipped-headlights outside built-up areas at all times. I don't know if this experiment continues (I've seen no evidence on my recent trips of people doing it), but there never was a legal requirement.

As well as Beaumont s Sarthe I can also recommend Fresnay s Sarthe Municipal.Park by the river.However my favourite Municipal in that area is South of Le Mans at Malicorne sur Sarthe. Interesting comment about La Suze.When we were there last October the aire had been moved away from the riverside into a scruffy field beside the campsite. Not sure if this was because of over use by Motorhomes blocking access to the car parking of local residents or if they were going to hold another 'event' on the car park. Hope you enjoy the area.One of my France favourites. NM

Archived