The search is on for a new (Used) Motorhome

Cliffy

As much as we love our 2004 Autotrail Tracker we are looking to replace it around this time next year.

I am hoping for advice on models to stay away from and/or models to consider.

We are looking for a C class motorhome with the following :-

Under 7mtrs long.

No more than 4 years old

4 seat belts (for occasional trips with Grand kids).

Rear fixed bed we can both get in and out off without climbing over each other.. Singles/bunks or island..

A decent payload

Under £40000

The Swift Escape 696 looks like it would fit the bill but I seem to remember someone on this forum saying there is a problem with water ingress with Swifts and I think it may be too big a comedown in build quality after an Autotrail.

Any advice would be welcome as it took 2 years to find the Tracker.

Guest JudgeMental
4 years old puts you slap bang in the middle of the fiat reverse judder fiasco...so be very careful. For same money you could probably get a better 2010 LHD post judder van

Anyone considering buying or changing a motorhome based on the 2.2 or 2.3 X250 from late 56 to late 59 needs to check for the Juddergate problem. Take the reg and chassis number to a main agent and ask them to check for any recalls or modifications to the gearbox and clutch. There are very many still about waiting for unsuspecting buyers on the dealers forcourts. Being a club member rallying regular I hear of many owners that have still got reversing problems and being turned away when they complain, being told that it is acceptable. You will be parting with a considerable amount of money and the last thing you want to do is buy trouble. If you are in a position to pay a little more it would be best to go for at least 10 reg onwards or better still any Merc or Renault that doesn't have the problem. Even modified gearboxes aren't always much better, it depends on how good the fitter has done the work. Always check underneath for tell tale oil leaks. The 3 ltr is trouble free, I have owned one but the later model 2.2 and 2.3 are well on top of the job and very economical.

hallii - 2013-02-10 11:39 AM

Ford based motorhomes never suffered from "juddergate", I have looked at various makes based on the new chassis, they look very interesting. Just need to convince my other half now.

H

But the earlier Mk 7 Transits with 130PS engine and 5 speed box have uncomfortably high first / reverse ratios and, unless the management system has been re-mapped (an anti-stall re-map was available from Ford dealers) are annoyingly prone to stall on drive away, especially on hills. (I know this, and still have the red face to prove it! :-)) Some drivers punish the clutch with high revs because of this, so be a bit cautions around these earlier models. The 140PS six speed box models have lower first, and I think reverse, ratios, and AFAIK, include the anti-stall as standard, so are probably a better bet.

Guest JudgeMental

agree! mine awful for stalling and the Fiat X250 a far Superior base vehicle anyway..much nicer drive and firmer, whereas the ford soft and stodgy in comparison..

while rolandrats info great advice and ignore it at your peril..I think better advice is to give all of these early vans a wide berth!

Guest pelmetman
Cliffy - 2013-02-09 10:51 PM

As much as we love our 2004 Autotrail Tracker we are looking to replace it around this time next year.

Why? :-S

I would look for a Sevel 2.2 or 2.3 Euro 4 based van from late 2009 at the earliest to late 2011 ensuring that I avoid at all costs anything Euro 5.- unless you enjoy expensive DPF problems.

Peugeot 2.2 engines seem smoother and quieter but not quite so punchy as the Fiat 2.3 and whilst we do now have a Fiat I would have been quite happy with the Peugeot - after all it's a motorhome not a rally car!

Guest JudgeMental
you keep on about DPF problems..I have yet to see anyone complaining about a motorhome related DPF fault. I thought it was totally unsuitable for the task small city cars, being used on short journeys that are having the problems...Motorhomes that spend most of their life standing doing nothing, and then used on longish journeys where system heats up adequately surely should be OK....

Brian Kirby - 2013-02-10 12:15 PM

hallii - 2013-02-10 11:39 AM

Ford based motorhomes never suffered from "juddergate", I have looked at various makes based on the new chassis, they look very interesting. Just need to convince my other half now.

H

But the earlier Mk 7 Transits with 130PS engine and 5 speed box have uncomfortably high first / reverse ratios and, unless the management system has been re-mapped (an anti-stall re-map was available from Ford dealers) are annoyingly prone to stall on drive away, especially on hills. (I know this, and still have the red face to prove it! :-)) Some drivers punish the clutch with high revs because of this, so be a bit cautions around these earlier models. The 140PS six speed box models have lower first, and I think reverse, ratios, and AFAIK, include the anti-stall as standard, so are probably a better bet.

ford updated my software when I took it in for service, it has anti stall that works very well, it brings up the revs as you engage the clutch so you can pull away on a hill without stalling.

Yes, first and reverse are high but on my van it's OK, anyhthing heavier and it could be a problem. Slipping the clutch (excessively) is not needed, once it is moving the clutch can be fully engaged and the engine will pull away at quite low revs.

H

Guest JudgeMental

my fiat has hill hold...a very nice feature

remember bieng stuck in a 4 hr uphill traffic jam, heading north to gothard tunnel and wondering if i was going to burn the fords clutch out *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-02-10 5:08 PM

you keep on about DPF problems..I have yet to see anyone complaining about a motorhome related DPF fault. I thought it was totally unsuitable for the task small city cars, being used on short journeys that are having the problems...Motorhomes that spend most of their life standing doing nothing, and then used on longish journeys where system heats up adequately surely should be OK....

Quite, Eddie. Another case of quoting things as fact when in actuallity it is nonsense. Contrary to this section of the terms and conditions of the forum......... "15.3.1 - be accurate (where they state facts)" :D

pelmetman - 2013-02-10 4:26 PM

Well I was concerned about it coming up to being 10 years old with possible implication with breakdown cover and insurance and as we travel to Europe every year for up to 8 weeks every year, breaking down is a slight concern.

After reading the replies which I am grateful for I think I may be better staying with the van I have. At least I know what I have got and what it has had done.

I was hoping I was going to get some replies saying our van is a ????? and it is really good and would be ideal for what you are looking for.

Still time for that I hope.

Well I was concerned about it coming up to being 10 years old with possible implication with breakdown cover and insurance and as we travel to Europe every year for up to 8 weeks every year, breaking down is a slight concern.

After reading the replies which I am grateful for I think I may be better staying with the van I have. At least I know what I have got and what it has had done.

I was hoping I was going to get some replies saying our van is a ????? and it is really good and would be ideal for what you are looking for.

Cliffy - 2013-02-10 8:27 PM

O/K here goes. My van is a 2008 LeVoygeur LVX675 on the Mercedes Sprinter 2.2 base and it's brilliant. Bit pricey but you gets what you pays for. :D

Guest pelmetman
Cliffy - 2013-02-10 8:27 PMWell I was concerned about it coming up to being 10 years old with possible implication with breakdown cover and insurance and as we travel to Europe every year for up to 8 weeks every year, breaking down is a slight concern.

Join ADAC no age restriction...........Touch wood.... not needed to call them out yet, but have so far only read positve comments from those that have.........and they cover you in the UK......all for £79 ish ;-)

As for being 10 years old 8-) ............We're 22.........and usualy the oldest van on site........although we have been up staged here at Calpemar by a 1980 Ford Deville B-) ............the owners have been coming to Calpe for the last 12 years :D

Archived