Master v Transit

mikeyb

Sorry folks,searched Forums and can't find the answer to this one.I'm a self-builder,have just sold last panel van conversion and want to start another.Was set on a 120 or 90PS T350 transit,but 2 dealers have now put doubts into my head re the reliability of post 2000 Transits. They suggested the Renault Master, 01 to 03 (my price range) I know the differences,have just driven both BUT....what about reliability,running costs,price/availability of spares etc.Anyone help. I'm now totally confused.Ta, Mike.

Morning Mikey. In all respects it has to be the Transit. Reliability, spares, economy it will always come out tops. I,ve driven the model years you quoted ( 2001-2003 ) and they are still as good as ever. I,ve done a few self builds on the transit, and the only drawback i,ve encountered is the narrow interior width. The transverse rear bed has always been my choice but a combination of long legs and limited width (5ft 10in if i remember right ) means my current van is a Fiat ( 6ft 3in) which makes a heck of a difference when it comes to bedtime. Howard.

The current transit has a few problems 1- FWD don't buy one of these, if gearbox hasn't broke it will do soon, I know of one fleet where ford replaced all FWD transits. 2- Security, there have been couple of problems, one should have been fixed by recall, I am unsure whether second has been fixed. The romour is that launch of new model has been pushed forward because fleet buyers see present model as unreliable.

Fwd will not be an issue for Mikey as i thought his price range restricted him to the years mentioned. As for security problems, i,ve not heard of these but its quite possible i suppose. Thinking back to bed sizes, you can have the finest motorhome ever built, but if you cannot get a good nights sleep you,r on a loser. Try before you buy.

Having just had a Renault Master converted, I have a view. We looked at all possibilities, but narrowed it down to the Master versus the Transit. The big problem with the Transit is the very low waste line and hence low bottom edge of the panels in which the windows are fitted. The Master's similar panels are at the right height for kitchen worktops, for example, where the old tranny isn't

[QUOTE]Derek Uzzell - 2006-07-24 7:56 AM Would you like to say what the security problems were please?[/QUOTE] The following answers are as far as I will go as I am sure you will understand. The one that should have been fixed under recall concerns an accessable wire. The other I do not know if it has been fixed, I have heard of no recall but later transits I believe have had a fix.

Colin: I had anticipated that you would send me a Private Massage about this if you were concerned about any security implications. The "accessible wire" risk (that, from what I recall, applies only to Transit panel-vans) was brought up on this forum when it first arose. Certainly I remember discussing it at length (off forum) with someone. I'm not aware of any other security issue and, as far as the latest Transit revisions are concerned, a launch-year of 2006 was being stated at least 2 years ago.

Colin, Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that every one will fail! just look at Ducato/Express gearboxes! Mine (1990 2 litre petrol express 58,000 miles) is still on it's first gearbox and (touchwood) will continue for many more. I know of a haulage company in North Devon who replaced their fleet of Sprinters with LDV400s because every Sprinter they had needed a new back axle at around 150,000 miles (18 months work for them). The LDVs all went to over 400,000 with no axle trouble and no major mechanical woes, just regular servicing. Onre or two anecdotal items don't mean squat when it comes to motorhomes cos they don't (in general) cover the same kind of mileage. D.

Dave-I take your point and maybe I overstated gearbox unreliability, but fact remains that they never had any problems with RWD or with Connects yet they found it nessasary to replace FWD, and this after talking to other fleet managers, OK a campervan might be treated with more care than that given to a builders van, but they are not as reliable as a RWD, altought RWD transits are pretty tough work horses to be compared to. Derek you have PM- Ford do not consider my second security issue to be a problem. They state that it requires an accomplished lock pick with the correct 'equipment' to open a Transit. Well thats one more thing to add to my CV. It is true that not everbody is caperble of illicitly opening Transits and I myself do not have access to 'equipment' at present, so maybe they are no more difficult than any other van, just that I have knack for opening Transits.

Archived