Directions to most aires or campsites in Europe

Guest searchforsites

Guest searchforsites

Seeing as its wet and miserable outside I have been playing with my website

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk

I have added a new directions service.

It works in two ways...

On the home page map when you click a poi marker there is an option to get directions to the selected marker and will work based on your current location (assuming your location can be determined) This may not be much use if you are browsing sites from the comfort of your home.

On the detail page for the selected marker there is an option to get directions from either your current location (again if it can be determined) or you can enter a start point manually. The start point can be either a region, city, town , post code, latitude/longitude co ordinates etc. The more detail that can be given for the start point the more accurate the start point will be resolved.

Will look at adding routing options to exclude toll roads and/or motorways, but in the mean time would be interested in the directions service so far.

If a route can be calculated it will also show the step by step directions with distance and travel time.

Guest searchforsites

That's the main objective of the site - to make it work offline.

There's a few bits of tech I need to learn but from what I have read it should be possible with some vector mapping and a mysql lite database coupled with an offline client.

Wont be able to use some of the google mapping services (streetview, weather and directions) but should be able to plot the relative locations and view the data for each poi.

There seems to be plenty of poi downloads available around the net but not many sites that can present them all on a map along with the additional features provided on searchforsites. Campingcarinfo is probably the best but I find it clunky in operation

Not wishing to be negative, and certainly not wishing to criticise your commendable expertise, commitment and efforts, but we find that identifying an Aire (or a site for those who prefer) from a relevant guide book or it's dedicated map and entering the lat & long in the sat nav works very well for us?

Perhaps I am missing something here and I am open to be educated, but why would I need anything else to do this task which does not need a computer or any other device except the sat nav which is already on, in place and in use?

Sorry!!

Guest searchforsites

Each to their own I suppose, but your signature line probably sums it up.

It's big advantage is the speed and combination of different sources.

'All the Aires' is great for aires, France Passion for their sites, ACSI guide, Camping cheque guide, we've got them all,and been there with books and maps all over the place, but there are plenty of locations listed that you would not find in any guide.

One of the drivers for this was last years trip in France and trying to find France passion sites from the meager instructions in he book and the unnecessary stres that created.

The big down side is the Internet connection required, but internet availability will only go one way.

It's not going to be long before Internet is available everywhere.

With so many other similar websites/databases so freely available now, is this another attempt at a solution in search of a problem I wonder?

It ain't the building of such databases that's the key problem. Not even the "borrowing" of info that others have researched and already published; but the MASSIVE ongoing and constant work to ensure it is ALL continually updated.

As Tony says, France Passion (FP) will offer GPS coordinate downloads to 2013 subscribers to the scheme.

This is mentioned in the following part of the FP website

http://www.france-passion.com/gb_etapes.php

Details of how coordinates will be provided will be included in the 2013 FP Guide. As security and protection of FP hosts' privacy are referred to, presumably there will be some mechanism to ensure that these data are only made available to 2013 FP subscribers.

searchforsites - 2013-02-10 5:23 PM That's the main objective of the site - to make it work offline.

The site seems to be progressing well, I've done several test searches and not wishing to be negative but am I missing something? How does a website work off-line?

Cattwg :-D

Archived