Best way to access euros whilst touring

twitcherwood

Another vote for Halifax Clarity Card. Especially for getting cash out of ATM's . Far better than Natwest or Nationwide Flex Debit Card. Even if you don't pay it off until you get your bill the amount of interest added is tiny. There is always the option to pay money into your account immediately to avoid the small interest charge.

David

• 1 month later...
Mel B - 2013-02-10 9:05 PM

for Germany it is advisable to have a Maestro credit card as a lot of places don't take anything else.

Forgive me resurrecting this thread but I was searching for Maestro... (cos I agree with MelB and I'd really like one for travel in Germany)

The Maestro website gives all of these banks as issuers

Adam & Co

Bank of Ireland

The British Bank of the Middle East

Clydesdale Bank

Coutts & Co.

First Direct

HSBC Bank

HSBC Investment Bank plc

HSBC Private Bank (UK) Limited

Isle of Man Bank

NatWest Bank

Northern Bank

Royal Bank of Scotland Group

Yorkshire Bank

Ulster Bank

Whiteaway Laidlaw Bank

After an exhausting and frustrating morning, I learned that NONE of the high street banks have issued Maestro for a long time. Some for as much as 6 years.

Yorkshire bank was the closest I got to success but I'd have to visit a branch in person..... hmmm... just a 400+ mile round trip form Bath.

It's hard to take Maestro seriously. It's part of Mastercard, - and it being a big and responsible bank you'd sort of expect them to get this basic information correct, - but they continue to advertise the Maestro card as being widely available, when it clearly isn't.

I note another thread about Caxton moving from Mastercard to Visa. Perhaps Caxton realised Mastercard is no longer the slick operation it used to be...?

Despite the grief, - If anyone has any info about how to get a Maestro card, please do tell

Guest JudgeMental
We stopped using mastercard years ago as they just make the exchange rates up to suit themselves. VISA far better rates.

Hughmer - 2013-04-08 1:37 PM

Mel B - 2013-02-10 9:05 PM

for Germany it is advisable to have a Maestro credit card as a lot of places don't take anything else.

Forgive me resurrecting this thread but I was searching for Maestro... (cos I agree with MelB and I'd really like one for travel in Germany)

The Maestro website gives all of these banks as issuers

Adam & Co

Bank of Ireland

The British Bank of the Middle East

Clydesdale Bank

Coutts & Co.

First Direct

HSBC Bank

HSBC Investment Bank plc

HSBC Private Bank (UK) Limited

Isle of Man Bank

NatWest Bank

Northern Bank

Royal Bank of Scotland Group

Yorkshire Bank

Ulster Bank

Whiteaway Laidlaw Bank

After an exhausting and frustrating morning, I learned that NONE of the high street banks have issued Maestro for a long time. Some for as much as 6 years.

Yorkshire bank was the closest I got to success but I'd have to visit a branch in person..... hmmm... just a 400+ mile round trip form Bath.

It's hard to take Maestro seriously. It's part of Mastercard, - and it being a big and responsible bank you'd sort of expect them to get this basic information correct, - but they continue to advertise the Maestro card as being widely available, when it clearly isn't.

I note another thread about Caxton moving from Mastercard to Visa. Perhaps Caxton realised Mastercard is no longer the slick operation it used to be...?

Despite the grief, - If anyone has any info about how to get a Maestro card, please do tell

I have one but you may not like how to get it. I have an account with a European Bank which gives the card as part of the deal. The account is in euros so any withdrawal at an ATM is in euros so exactly what you ask for. Deposits into the account do incur a charge and there is a charge for the card but it also allows me to pay for goods exactly as you would use a debit card here. not the cheapest thing in the world but then again no European bank is free. It does pay interest at ECB rates. The only downside I have found this year is that ABN/AMRO have stopped taking Maestro for some reason although they still advertise they do. Apart from that it has worked all over Europe for many years without a hiccup.

hI

I use Santander Zero card. The new one is the Santander 123. I load it before I leave and then use the card for all purchases. Cash out of ATM is at an advantageous rate compared to other money exchange places. No charges. Have used it for the last four years, never paid a penny in charges, got a very good rate of exchange at all locations. But, be warned, never take the pound sterling option. You have been warned above and it is true, learn from others, don't do it.

Bottom line is, get a credit card which does not charge for getting cash or anything else. Load it with an amount you are happy with. This will depend on whether or not you can top it up whilst abroad. If you can then do it in amounts rather than the full whack. If you do not have that facility then load it with what you are prepared to spend, remembering that you still have your credit limit to fall back on, this can be paid in full when you return. You will have to do your research. Some have no charges for a loaded card. Some charge for cash withdrawals whether or not your card is loaded. Go in and ask. From security point of view, I normally have a cash reserve but it is split. I have two safes in the van and there are, as stated, many hiding places but do not forget where they are. I also have an emergency card taped safe somewhere within the van. If it is found then a telephone call makes safe. If not and the others get nicked then I have a standby.

Stay sensible and you will stay safe.

Art

JudgeMental - 2013-04-08 5:31 PM

We stopped using mastercard years ago as they just make the exchange rates up to suit themselves. VISA far better rates.

I use my Visa cards all over Europe but I found quite a few places in Germany would not accept the Visa card but would accept the MasterCard.

Phil.

Arthur Brown - 2013-04-08 9:37 PM

hI

I use Santander Zero card. The new one is the Santander 123. I load it before I leave and then use the card for all purchases. Cash out of ATM is at an advantageous rate compared to other money exchange places. No charges. Have used it for the last four years, never paid a penny in charges, got a very good rate of exchange at all locations. But, be warned, never take the pound sterling option. You have been warned above and it is true, learn from others, don't do it.

Art

Sorry Art, just to avoid people mistakenly thinking that the Santander 123 Cash Card, Credit Card and Debit Cards are the same as your Zero cards which they are not - the Santander 123 cards DO MAKE CHARGES FOR USING THEM ABROAD (although the Debit Card doesn't incur charges in Spain!). So it is only your Santander Zero Debit and Credit cards (which are no longer available) that don't charge according to the Santander website. It doesn't mention any charges for your Zero Cash Card so I assume there is no charge for that either as you state above.

Santander cards

Santander do not charge in Spain or Portugal.

New cards coming out all the time so we always check before going abroad and take out whichever is giving the best deal at the time. The SAGA credit card was good for a while, may still be but always pays to check before hand.

Take some time and do some research, (or get the boss to do the research so as you know it will be the right card for the job).

Archived