Ebay Motorhome Scammer Warning

Cliffy

I have copied this (with permission) which was posted on another Motorhome forum today. I hope it may warn others to watch out for possible scams and the dangers of dealing outside the Ebay environment.

Quote!

After bidding and loosing a motorhome on Ebay, I received a Second Chance Offer email, which I beleived was from Ebay. I corresponded and did as the SCO invoice told me guaranteeing my money especially as my money was being held in a bolding account waiting for buyer and seller to agree on the sale. Went to pick up motor from address received, no motorhome, contacted police as I had been scammed and lost £3000. Please check all emails you receive it was so convincing that I believed it and stupidly paid for something I was not going to get. I received the invoice and a contract of VPP vehicle payment proctection. I am only letting people on here know so they wont fall into the same trap which I have done, so to be said I am gutted and the I will not be getting the biggar van I would have liked.

End of Quote

1) Did the buyer visit the seller first to view the Motorhome.....or just buy from looking at a few photographs?

2) Was the Motorhome at the sellers home address or if not did they check to see if the V5 matched to the address?

3) Did the buyer run an HPi check?

Something tells me the buyer did none of the above which when buying any vehicle is an absolute must do.

Guest JudgeMental
there is lots of this going on at the moment...By example: a number of electric e bikes that dont exist being repeatedly auctioned...do your home work, dont deal outside of site, and be very very careful...and dont pay anything until you actually see goods and paper work! *-)

I am aware, as I am sure many others are, of the necessary security measure to take when buying or selling on the internet.

The purpose of the post is to warn those who are not so aware as there are obviously quite a few around, otherwise scammers would not be able to operate.

"Do not judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes"

Scammers, like pick pockets are professionals. No one should think they will never be fall prey to them!

I recently sold our 2 year old Autosleeper on e-bay we picked the couple up from the rail station , they checked it over with a fine tooth comb and were satisfied with the deal . We then went to our local branch of their bank did an immediate money transfer into my account after all to relative formalities were done ( normal security checks ) then went to my Nationwide the other side of the road to check said money was in my account  all was ok . Deal done went back home sorted they were happy we were happy good result .

lennyhb - 2013-02-11 9:36 AM

Sounds like the sort of idiot that willingly sends money to Nigeria when he gets an email, sorry no sympathy with people being so stupid with there money . A lot of truth in the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Lenny, I think this is a terrible attitude you are portraying. You sound like someone who relishes in being able to say 'I told you so'. I personally feel really sorry for the losers no matter how it happened and as he says- it could happen to anyone. To be £3k down is awful. He probably feels terrible himself and all you can do is say he sounds like an idiot.

derek

Guest JudgeMental
like I said earlier..this is happening a lot with all types of goods. with scammers just copying genuine adds and advertising none existent goods...

Losing £3000 that way is not good but in all honesty I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would put any money into a 'holding' account unless they had researched and found it was a bona fide business/individual.  Even then I would be very wary, £3000 is a huge holding deposit.  In circumstances such as these I always reply asking for a phone number and address, then call them to arrange to view.  Once all is proven OK only then go to the bank and deal with the finances.  As for putting up a £3000 holding deposit.....even a dealership wouldn't get that much out of me.Like I said I feel sorry for the 'scammed' but it does read like a degree of at best unfounded trust...or at worst abject stupidity.

derek pringle - 2013-02-11 11:26 AM

lennyhb - 2013-02-11 9:36 AM

Sounds like the sort of idiot that willingly sends money to Nigeria when he gets an email, sorry no sympathy with people being so stupid with there money . A lot of truth in the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Lenny, I think this is a terrible attitude you are portraying. You sound like someone who relishes in being able to say 'I told you so'. I personally feel really sorry for the losers no matter how it happened and as he says- it could happen to anyone. To be £3k down is awful. He probably feels terrible himself and all you can do is say he sounds like an idiot.

derek

I don't like to see anyone loose their money but in today's world with so many scams & business's going bust you do not part with large amounts of cash until you have the goods it's just common sense. I had a friend a few years ago who posted the dealer a cheque for 20K on Monday so he could pick up his van on Friday between Monday & Friday the dealer went into liquidation and he lost 20k. When I picked up my van I gave the dealer a bank draft when I collected it, a bit silly to anything else these days.

kelly58 - 2013-02-11 10:03 AM

I recently sold our 2 year old Autosleeper on e-bay we picked the couple up from the rail station , they checked it over with a fine tooth comb and were satisfied with the deal . We then went to our local branch of their bank did an immediate money transfer into my account after all to relative formalities were done ( normal security checks ) then went to my Nationwide the other side of the road to check said money was in my account  all was ok . Deal done went back home sorted they were happy we were happy good result .

That's how it should be done.

You conducted your side of the business deal honestly so had nothing to hide from the buyer, such as your home address detail etc and vehicle ownership, and they did the sensible thing too by viewing first before committing to buy.

I bought my van privately and the owner lived at Wokingham near Reading, a good 350 mile round trip from my area so I went by train to go and look it over. Viewed at the owners home address, checked all relevant documents corresponded and we negotiated a price. I gave him a small deposit which he gave me a receipt for, returned back home, then made a transfer to his account once he had the van MOT'd and taxed which was part of the deal.

During this time we were both in contact via phone and email and having met the seller personally at his home address there was no reason for the sale to have gone wrong.....which of course it didn't.

Bulletguy - 2013-02-11 3:36 PM

kelly58 - 2013-02-11 10:03 AM

That's how it should be done.

You conducted your side of the business deal honestly so had nothing to hide from the buyer, such as your home address detail etc and vehicle ownership, and they did the sensible thing too by viewing first before committing to buy.

I bought my van privately and the owner lived at Wokingham near Reading, a good 350 mile round trip from my area so I went by train to go and look it over. Viewed at the owners home address, checked all relevant documents corresponded and we negotiated a price. I gave him a small deposit which he gave me a receipt for, returned back home, then made a transfer to his account once he had the van MOT'd and taxed which was part of the deal.

During this time we were both in contact via phone and email and having met the seller personally at his home address there was no reason for the sale to have gone wrong.....which of course it didn't.

I bought our van privately in much the same way 3 years ago and we are still in contact with the seller who has moved to France. We visit them over there when we go to France and they are as pleased as we are that we are enjoying our purchase. I hope I have as good an experience when I buy the next van.

It annoys me that some scum bag can con a trusting and possibly naive (not an idiot) person out of their hard earned cash.

With the posts above explaining how a purchase should be carried out I feel that my original post has served it's purpose and if it stops one person from parting with their cash unwisely it has been worth it .

Thanks for the input.

Cliffy - 2013-02-10 11:50 PMI am aware, as I am sure many others are, of the necessary security measure to take when buying or selling on the internet.

Sorry Cliffy I don't know any of the necessary security measures needed, but I ain't worried because I have never, do not currently, and never will in the future deal with e-bay. There's not much in life that I need or want now and what there is I can get over the counter or by mail order from companies I have physically visited and know are honest. That might sound patronising and I'll admit that even before e-bay was invented I had bought second hand stuff that didn't work, cars that 'blew up' after a few thousand miles, and cheap woodworking tools from the far east, not any more, I don't care if it costs double I only buy new and from reliable EU companies now.

Cliffy, the poster may have been stupid or just too trusting in his actions which lost the money.

He laid himself open to some harsh and maybee justified comments, but should be congratulated in telling the forum to try and stop any like minded/naive/trusting person making the same mistake.

For the future it pays to remember "caveat emptor" buyer beware. Plus if you walk away you have lost nothing, once you commit to spend then risk applies

Mike

I've managed to sell all our motorhomes through ebay ,six so far, prior to buying the replacement.Cash is always the best incentive when buying from a dealer come negotiating time.

All e-bayers are not rip off merchants, I always reveal any problems prior to the puchaser asking, as I value my reputation.I have also bought from ebay,but I am extemely carefull to double check everything.

Archived