Vets in France

Tracker

Does anyone know of an English speaking vet familiar with the pet passport scheme who is over a day's drive from Calais in the direction of Tours, Angouleme and Bordeaux please.

We usually use the vets at Ardres who are very nice, English speaking, have appointment free clinics every day and plenty of parking opposite but we would prefer not to 'lose' the extra 24 hours hanging around Calais.

We will be leaving Spain more than 5 days prior to the tunnel so our original plan A to find a vet in the Bilbao area no longer applies - but if anyone knows a good 'un there it would be handy for another trip.

Thanks.

Why not just Google Vets in France Richard :-D they all speak enough English to get by, just show them the P.passport , in our experience its just the receptionists that we struggle with once in the Vets surgery we find they speak English.

The one last year was in Muzzon she spoke very good English and she also has a surgery in Stenay.

Thanks, looks interesting.

Finding a vet is the easy bit - finding one who is helpful, easy to locate and park at, knows what to do, has the right medication, and does not charge the earth is less easy - which is where personal experience and recommendation helps!!

After some internet searching I found that typing 'veterinaires' and the French town you want on brings up the best selection of results.

Most don't have websites or email address so I limit contact to those who do as it makes initial communication much easier than a phone call.

Most are too busy to reply but I have found some who are English speaking and are interested enough to want our business.

I've found these two English speaking vets in Alencon which is an easy and comfortable day's drive to Calais and both have plenty of parking for a motorhome.

This vet you need no appointment as it is open surgery every day and it is opposite a large Carrefour.

http://www.veto61.com/

This vet prefers an appointment but both seem to be welcoming in their responses.

http://clinique-du-moulin-a-vent.fr/

And this one in Bordeaux -

http://www.veterinaire-alliance.fr/

It would be cheaper to get the job done in Spain as all of those in France that I have emailed charge 40 - 45 Euros for tapeworm and passport entry - and some charge up to 65 Euros! Well it is France after all!!

As we will be spending a few days around the Canal du Midi on the way back Spain is not an option for us this time but Google map search throws up plenty around Donostia, Irun and Bilbao.

Hope this is of use to someone?

Might not help on this occasion but there is a new vet in La Mailleraye Sur Seine that was charging 20 euros last year. It will probably have gone up this year but a lot better than paying 55 euros. The vet is only a few minutes walk from the aire.

Not much help for you im afraid but we used the vet in Bergues just a few mins walk from the aire. She spoke good english and only charged around 30 euros for a dog less than 20kg most of the charge was her consultation fee with about 6 euro for the worming tablet. The receptionist didnt speak english but passed the phone to the vet to make the appointment.

might be useful for folks coming from the east rather than the spainish direction.

I second the post about honfleur as the vet is right across from the aire but never used them so cant comment on helpfulness

If anyone visits the mosel and needs a vet before returning , there is one at berncastel right opposite the car park/stellplatz. It's on the opposite side of the bridge to the main town and turn turn left.

They charge the princely sum of 8 Euros and he speaks very good english.

Tracker - 2013-02-11 11:22 AM

We usually use the vets at Ardres who are very nice, English speaking, have appointment free clinics every day and plenty of parking opposite but we would prefer not to 'lose' the extra 24 hours hanging around Calais.

Thanks.

Just a warning the Ardres Vet has relocated to the outskirts of Ardres, >>>>>>>>

QUOTE from Email

Since November 2012, we’re glad to welcome you in our brand new clinic, located just outside of Ardres, on the main road to Saint-Omer.

Our new address is :

ZA des moulins

50, Impasse Claude Bourgelat

62 610 AUTINGUES

GPS location data :

N50°51'01" E1°59'19"

Call us before coming ; our phone number remains the same as it is : 03 21 35 40 03

Please find below some practical directions in order for you to find us easily :

Once you arrive at the (only) traffic light in Ardres,

continue in the direction of Saint-Omer

and then drive straight for 800 meters (half a

mile);

make a right turn just before the bright blue Peugeot garage.

Our new clinic is located up the street, on your left.

A map with directions will also be placed on the door of our former

clinic just in case…

END QUOTE

I would add that outside the new premises is a large hard surfaced area that could be used for overnight if you are so inclined.

EDIT:

Ardres Vet charge @ 17 Feb 2013, 37 Euros including medication. Probably not the lowest but it does for me.

Archived