Just got a couple of stonking mobile phone deals!

Mel B

We're with T-Mobile and currently have an LG Optimus One (P500) each on 24 month contracts which are due to finish shortly. With our price plans we get:

Him : 300 mins, 300 texts, free booster*, unlimited int browsing with 1gb dowload = £15.86 pm.

Me: 100 mins, 100 texts, free booster*, unlimited int browsing with 1gb dowload = £10.58 pm.

(* normally set to unlimited land-lines but can be changed each months for another free booster and we usually go for the 18 mins of free call time to the UK each when we're on holiday which is very useful - these free boosters don't exist now so they are definitely worth hanging on to!)

We've been checking out the deals on offer with the likes of Car Phone Warehouse (some of the cashback deals are good), and other providers so we were prepared for 'negotiating' with T-Mobile!!!!

We've managed to get a couple of further 24 month contracts with the same plan. Hubby is getting a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 at £10.44 a month, I'm getting a Sony Ericsson Tipo for £6.58 a month ... that's a total saving of £9.42 a month!

:->

I'd already bought a 2 month old Samsung Galaxy Ace (the original one) for £50 and have the receipt so it is covered by warranty (the chap bought it when he px'd his old phone but couldn't get on with it and has gone back to a bog standard cheapo phone) so instead I'll use this as it has a bigger screen and is easy to use, and sell the Tipo which will be too small for me.

So instead of paying a total of £634 over the 24 month period which we were doing with our old contracts, it will cost us only £408, a saving of £226 over the period - which means I'm basically just about getting 'my' contract for nowt!!! :D

Skinflint, moi????

Mais oui!!!!! (lol)

Kelly, I assume you have a landline at home so that will keep your mobile phone usage down - just out of interest how much is your TOTAL phone cost for the year including your landline? All we have are mobile phones (and mobile broadband) so that's why the free landline calls (via the booster) is vital to us as it really keeps the monthly cost down for us - during this last month I spend over 800 minutes on the phone to landlines which, although exceptional due to family circumstances at present, would have cost me a fair bit with a landline phone as many of them had to be made during week days when costs are more expensive.

If we instead had a landline it would cost us at least £12.99 a month for a very limited service plus a call costs, so probably more in the region of £20 a month, making £480 over 24 months, then there's the cost of a mobile phone of some sort (even pay as you go), so for us it's a no brainer. Due to us being in the Kingston Communication 'black hole' we can't have a BT line, or take advantage of any of the special deals on offer from other landline phone providers.

Hi Mel

We have our land line with talktalk inclusive of line rental /  unlimited broadband / 24/7 free calls up to 59mins excluding mobile and 0844 / 0906 numbers total annual cost £252.00 unless in an emergency we do not call any mobile numbers .As our daughter lives on the IOM we can call her as often and for as long as we wish for free.

We are pretty much the same as Kelly. Our average bill each month is £10 and that includes free international calls anytime, free local calls evenings and weekends and unlimited broadband downloads at about 15MBS. We also use PAYG mobiles and my last top up was £30 in October and we still have £20 left. We are not what you would call 'core customers' for mobile phone Companies. My wife's mobile still has a green screen and no camera, but she likes it as it is very simple. I made a comment regarding that and got whacked. When abroad we use Skype if it works. It is usually the connections here in the UK that let us down, not the site. If it doesn't we just ahve another glass of wine and try again next week.

You must live way out in the Boonies as i thought virtually all the UK except the Highlands had phone lines. Is there not a wee red box on the road somewhere?

At least I now know there is one advantage for paying this high Council Tax here in the city.

Dave225 - 2013-02-13 3:46 PM

You must live way out in the Boonies as i thought virtually all the UK except the Highlands had phone lines. Is there not a wee red box on the road somewhere?

At least I now know there is one advantage for paying this high Council Tax here in the city.

Unfortunately we have the equivalent of a telephone 'Bermuda Triangle' here in the Hull area as our telephone network is owned by an independent provider called Kingston Communications (KC), basically a much smaller 'version' of British Telecom. It used to be owned by Hull City Council until they sold it off a good few years ago. As KC own the phoneline network, BT never got a foothold here, not, as we always suspected because of a 'monopoly', but as we undersatnd now due to KC making the costs for BT using the network just too expensive to make it viable for them. All private landlines are provided by KC and we have cream telephone boxes, however, I learnt yesterday that BT are now supplying some local commercial companies with phone services, so it may change at some point in the future for private users, but I''m not holding my breath!

That's why we can't take advantage of TalkTalk and other providers' special deals for phone/broadband, and also anyone here who subscribes to Sky can't take advantage of the full benefits that come with it if you have a BT line.

You could say we're 'special' ... I just say its a blooming nuisance! 8-)

Mel B - 2013-02-13 8:07 PM

Dave225 - 2013-02-13 3:46 PM

Unfortunately we have the equivalent of a telephone 'Bermuda Triangle' here in the Hull area as our telephone network is owned by an independent provider called Kingston Communications (KC), basically a much smaller 'version' of British Telecom. It used to be owned by Hull City Council until they sold it off a good few years ago. As KC own the phoneline network, BT never got a foothold here, not, as we always suspected because of a 'monopoly', but as we undersatnd now due to KC making the costs for BT using the network just too expensive to make it viable for them. All private landlines are provided by KC and we have cream telephone boxes, however, I learnt yesterday that BT are now supplying some local commercial companies with phone services, so it may change at some point in the future for private users, but I''m not holding my breath!

That's why we can't take advantage of TalkTalk and other providers' special deals for phone/broadband, and also anyone here who subscribes to Sky can't take advantage of the full benefits that come with it if you have a BT line.

You could say we're 'special' ... I just say its a blooming nuisance! 8-)

I remember the cream telephone boxes but I thought they had all been changed when it got sold off. I also vaguely remember that all citizens of Hull received a cash back, but could be wrong. Possibly it all went to a certain Prescott et al.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Whilst I can understand the OPs situation with no viable landlines service, it just astonishes me that anyone would want a "free" phone @ around £500 to £700 as some of them cost over two years in addition to a landline.

Maybe I'm a tight **** but my £19.99 pay as u go is as much as I want to pay. With the 3 network you get thousands of free texts every time you top up, and if both of you are on the same network free calls to one another and some Internet data.

In the last year I've topped up twice for a tenner each time :D :D I just let folk text or phone me :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-13 9:57 PM

Whilst I can understand the OPs situation with no viable landlines service, it just astonishes me that anyone would want a "free" phone @ around £500 to £700 as some of them cost over two years in addition to a landline.

Maybe I'm a tight **** but my £19.99 pay as u go is as much as I want to pay. With the 3 network you get thousands of free texts every time you top up, and if both of you are on the same network free calls to one another and some Internet data.

In the last year I've topped up twice for a tenner each time :D :D I just let folk text or phone me :D

Not quite sure where the price of the 'free' phone comes from. My landline has a phone which costs me £10 from John Lewis about 3 years ago. It has a nice built in answering machine. I am also well known for leaving my mobile in the glove box of the car while it is locked away in the garage at night, so a landline is definitely of more use to me. I was talking with that nice Mr Bell the other day and he tells me he has a new design of telephone where the earpiece is not going to be on the end of along cable and the mouthpiece stuck on the wall, it will all be in 1 handle..........whatever next??

Dave225 - 2013-02-13 8:49 PM

I remember the cream telephone boxes but I thought they had all been changed when it got sold off. I also vaguely remember that all citizens of Hull received a cash back, but could be wrong. Possibly it all went to a certain Prescott et al.

There are still a few cream boxes about as far as I know, although most are the horrible 'sheet glass' things. As for Hull citizens getting cash back ... I wish!!!! The only benefit we got was being able to buy the shares which went up massively (up to £17 I think) which was great except that by the time we al got our share certificates and we'd had them for the requisite time (we couldn't sell them immediately) they'd plummeted!!! In the end hubby bought a load more when they hit rock bottom and between the oirignal ones we bought and these later ones, we only just got more than we paid for them after hanging on to them for years. The only ones who really got a perk were the employees of KC who had a deal (can't rememer exactly what it was) but they got lot of extra shares, but again by the time they were allowed to sell them they wouldn't have made much, if anything.

1footinthegrave - 2013-02-13 9:57 PM

... it just astonishes me that anyone would want a "free" phone @ around £500 to £700 as some of them cost over two years in addition to a landline.

I assume you mean a "free" MOBILE phone, not a landline phone. If so, then I agree - I cannot understand people who pay extortionate amounts each month for a fancy mobile phone because they just 'have' to have it, NOT because they NEED that particular one!

Mel B - 2013-02-14 6:23 PM

I cannot understand people who pay extortionate amounts each month for a fancy mobile phone because they just 'have' to have it, NOT because they NEED that particular one!

It,s all about personal choice and image.................a bit like spending £1000s on the latest motorhome.

Mel B - 2013-02-14 6:20 PM

Dave225 - 2013-02-13 8:49 PM

There are still a few cream boxes about as far as I know, although most are the horrible 'sheet glass' things. As for Hull citizens getting cash back ... I wish!!!! The only benefit we got was being able to buy the shares which went up massively (up to £17 I think) which was great except that by the time we al got our share certificates and we'd had them for the requisite time (we couldn't sell them immediately) they'd plummeted!!! In the end hubby bought a load more when they hit rock bottom and between the oirignal ones we bought and these later ones, we only just got more than we paid for them after hanging on to them for years. The only ones who really got a perk were the employees of KC who had a deal (can't rememer exactly what it was) but they got lot of extra shares, but again by the time they were allowed to sell them they wouldn't have made much, if anything.

Presumably the Council made all the money then, so I guess it did go to Prescott one way or another. Sorry you did not make a killing though. It might have been better to have taken a few phone boxes in lieu, tarted them up and sold them on. BT made money doing that with K boxes.

Mel b

Can you get cable in your area?

we have always had a BT line, but here where we live now, is a black spot for Broadband with a Bt line. We changed to Virgin Media, for TV, Phone, Broadband. (Fast 20meg ((I think))) We only have PAYG mobiles, and mainly use when Abroad, so top up's Probably less than £50 per year

PJay

Phones have arrived! :->

Although I was going to use the Galaxy Ace which I'd already bought, hubby has been using it already so instead I snaffled the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and it's brilliant - nice large clear screen and very easy to use. Hubby is quite happy using the other one and if he does damage it (he uses his phone a lot more than me!) it will be much cheaper to fix/replace if needs be. The benefit is that we can leave one charger at home and only need to carry one with us in the van as the connections are the same, although we also have a 12v charger too.

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-02-14 7:24 PM

Mel B - 2013-02-14 6:23 PM

I cannot understand people who pay extortionate amounts each month for a fancy mobile phone because they just 'have' to have it, NOT because they NEED that particular one!

It,s all about personal choice and image.................a bit like spending £1000s on the latest motorhome.

Probably the same mugs then :D :D :D

Mel B - 2013-02-15 4:41 PM

Phones have arrived! :->

Although I was going to use the Galaxy Ace which I'd already bought, hubby has been using it already so instead I snaffled the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and it's brilliant - nice large clear screen and very easy to use. Hubby is quite happy using the other one and if he does damage it (he uses his phone a lot more than me!) it will be much cheaper to fix/replace if needs be. The benefit is that we can leave one charger at home and only need to carry one with us in the van as the connections are the same, although we also have a 12v charger too.

Enjoy, although I am not too sure what you are talking about. I guess your new phones still allow you to dial 999 in the dark??

I liked my galaxy phone but when my family & friends contract on EE (Tmobile) wanted renewing I had to have another phone :-(

I've gone for the galaxy ace 2 as well, its ok and a lot better on the tinterweb than the first galaxy and the camera is better.

Unfortunately its now a 24 month contract not 12, I feel ripped off as I can't use all the calls, messages & internet they make me have, so I don't get to use the extras Mel B talks about :'(

On top of that it cost me £7.45 a month :-(

If thats not bad enough I never use my 24/7 allowance on my house phone either :-(

But I soldier on & try make full use of the unlimited fibre optic broad band my doncaster phone & broadband supplier gives me ;-)

Paul- - 2013-02-15 8:44 PM

But I soldier on & try make full use of the unlimited fibre optic broad band my doncaster phone & broadband supplier gives me ;-)

Grrrrrrrrr ....... >:-(

There's a saying round these here parts and it consists of the words OFF and BOG, not necessarily in that order! >:-) :D (lol)

Mel B - 2013-02-15 8:55 PM

Paul- - 2013-02-15 8:44 PM

Grrrrrrrrr ....... >:-(

There's a saying round these here parts and it consists of the words OFF and BOG, not necessarily in that order! >:-) :D (lol)

GO BOFF ?

Archived