Eurotunnel overnight UK side

sean.clarke

Hi,

After our 1st trip abroad (German Xmas markets) was cancelled due to concerns over the health of our dog we are looking at a couple of days in Paris. I'd like to arrive in France early in the morning, but travelling to Folkstone from our home would mean an early hours start, so I'd ideally like to travel to Folkstone in the evening, stay local then go for an 06:00-08:00 train.

I've done a few searches and there seems to be a local services on the M20/A20 - do you think this is the best place to stay?

Opinions/suggestions welcome.

Sean

Hi,

We always travel on the Dover Calais early morning ferry as you can stay on Marine Parade at Dover overnight. You need to arrive in the evening as I think they are pay at meter parking bays and need to be off early morning but there's generally lots of motorhomes and caravans and its just on the doorstep of the docks. Hope that helps.

Have you thought about going across on an evening train, i.e. 7 - 9pm and perhaps staying at Citie Europe and then leaving early in the morning for Paris? I think it is easier to stay in France than it is to stay in the UK.

Just a suggestion.

There is a retail park on the left of the motorway at the Ashford junction. There are several eating places and Travel lodge etc, we have noticed several time lorries parking up for the night and on the odd occasion a motorhome or two. It is well lit so seems fairly secure, Its not far from the Eurotunnel terminal.

tugga - 2013-02-11 10:43 PM

Have you thought about going across on an evening train, i.e. 7 - 9pm and perhaps staying at Citie Europe and then leaving early in the morning for Paris? I think it is easier to stay in France than it is to stay in the UK.

Just a suggestion.

The fact that I've never driven on the right makes me a little nervous, it is a possibility, but if I could stay local on the UK side that would be preferable i.e. arrive around 22:00, rest, travel around 07:00.

Hi

We came across in early January, used the tunnel but stayed on marine parade in Dover the night before, thoroughly recommend it. There is a pub / premier inn at the top of the parade where you can have a drink / meal before early start. Free of charge if you are away before 9am. Ther ewere only half a dozen vans there in January so no need to get ther etoo early and you can follow the guy in front when you get off the train - it only takes 20 minutes driving to get assimilated into continental mode

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

I go with tugga's suggestion, city de Europe is just down a minor road from tunnel, probably less then a mile....marine parade well situated for boats but you have to drive back out on M20 for tunnel.

Our preference is always for tunnel but, this year prices have shot up! So unfortunately for us it's back to ferries of which I am not a fan :-S

sean.clarke - 2013-02-12 6:59 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll look into that one, what identifies MH parking at Marine Parade, is there a desperate section or additional signage?

Flicka, that would have been ideal if it were not for the late arrival.

Thanks guys.

The picture shows where you can & can't park in Dover.

dover.jpg.fd7dcf824302c6d7af35faea1c56f3ce.jpg

Personally I would cross to arrive in France for about 22.00pm then straight to City-Europe motorhome parking off Boulevard -Du- Kent near the bus parking its only 5 minutes from the tunnel . If wanting to visit Paris there is an ASCI site at Maisons Laffete 10 minute stroll to the Metro about 7e each to station near the Arc-de -Triumph we have been a couple of times and not a bad site for paris.

I would go with the Cite Europe option, stayed on Marine Parade and it is a bit noisy with the boats and people walking by.

I can understand the first time abroad bit, but if you use Google maps (I am not clever enough to post a link) you could study the route you have to take from the train to the Motorhome Parking place. I walk it at street level gives me the chance to study signage.

Good place to get a spot of Breakfast and shopping.

Have a look along this road Boulevard du Kent, Coquelles, Nord-Pas-de-Calais you can clearly see the motorhomes stopping in fact one is in the exit.

Good luck

:-> :-> >:-)

I do not understand , do not park in the red section on the map? I have spoken to the police down there and they were very happy for us to park in your red section, he said he had been a policeman down there for 15 years and never had a problem in the parking of motorhome s there, in any way,

Dugi - 2013-02-12 5:05 PM

I do not understand , do not park in the red section on the map? I have spoken to the police down there and they were very happy for us to park in your red section, he said he had been a policeman down there for 15 years and never had a problem in the parking of motorhome s there, in any way,

Dugi - well if you look at the signs, the red area is cars & motorcycles only, & the blue area is cars & caravans/motorhomes. The Dover Port Police, not Kent County Constabulary, are the authority for this road, & they do occasionally enforce the restrictions. Not really worth contesting it for the sake of 200 yds?

(My Mother lives in The Gateway on Marine Parade and sometimes when Caravaners or Motorhomers are not as good citizens as they should be (using the bushes etc) then not unreasonably the residents of The Gateway, phone the Port Police to complain)

Re Marine Parade, when we travelled to Germany last September there were motorhomes parked the entire length and both sidesof the road , over 50 in total of various nationalities. InJanuary there were only 4 and all parked in the motorhome specific area- so I would have thought park in that area if you can and further up if that area is full. It is only 10-12 minutes drive back to the tunnel which is not really an issue

Re Cite Europe

Agreed it is only a short distance from the tunnel exit to the motorhome parking area at Cite Europe but it is a bit confusing and there are a couple of roundabouts which if you have not driven on the right hand side before can be strange, particularly if it is dark. I have always found Cite Europe to be very expensive and the quality of the food available in the restaurant court somewhat questionable- certainly not worth stopping for. Coming off the train in daylight is very straightforward and invariably there will be someone to follow round the first roundabout you come to which puts the nerves to rest

Having stopped both sides and, having a long, 4-5 hour,drive to Folkestone to commence journey I now prefer to stop at Dover every trip

Good luck

Bob

We were thinking of stopping at the P&R in Canterbury,so the Co-Pilot has her final dose of shopping before we go under the Channel.

It will probably be a mid-morning train the next day.

Is it quiet and safe at the Canterbury P&R now these days ?????plse

HWO

Mel B - 2013-02-12 10:01 PM

We stayed at the Canterbury P&R not that long ago and found it very peaceful, just make sure you get the right car park!

Thanks Mel

We been there and done it a few years ago,glad to know none of us or the native's have spoilt it.

HWO

I posted this on another thread in August 2012:

The Canterbury park and ride is on the SOUTH EAST side (New Dover Road CT1 3EJ). It has an area specifically for motorhomes to stay overnight, with water and waste disposal. We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and it was very nice - it costs £2.50 for 24 hours and if you have the time that includes the return bus fare into Canterbury itself for driver and 5 passengers! Just make sure you get the Canterbury town centre bus and not the hospital bus which runs from the same place!

Archived