Hi-tops with fixed beds?

Allen

We live in Western Australia, and have already had two trips to the UK where we have bought a caravan and car and toured extensively (the first time for 3 ½ years). In 2004 we returned and bought another caravan and car. After a 4 month tour in the Uk and France, we shipped the caravan back to Australia, and spent most of last year touring around Australia with it. We are now contemplating another trip to the UK, but this time think we should simplify our lives buy purchasing a small motorhome such as a Hi-top Devon Monaco, because we have reached a point in our lives where we no longer want to tow something, nor make up a bed every night. Other than the Devon, which is probably a bit beyond our price range, is there anything similar which has been built over the last few years, or is the Devon unique? Most grateful for any advice. Allen & Sheila Hull

Hello Allen & Sheila, The only other hightops I can think of are the Adria Twin at just under £30,000 new on the road and the Hymer Exsis which is about £35,000. Somebody might know of a few more. Spent 6 months touring OZ last year, loved the Western coast especially Perth & Albany. regards Don

Thanks, Don, That's a help. It's something with a fixed bed we are after. We may be able to find a used example of one or other of the makes you suggest if they have been made for a year or two. Even a drop of 4,000 pounds makes makes about an AU $10,000 difference to us! Glad you liked Oz. Albany is rather lovely, isn't it? You were probably down there while we were in Far North Queensland. Allen

The Devon is a good fixed bed model, but be aware the lounge is necessarily a bit tight! The Renault Master base vehicle is wonderful with a superb ride. As for other fixed bed models, there are some built in both Frabnce and Germany as van conversions. There is also the Hymer Exsis which has a bed in the roof space suitable, in my view, only for younger contortionists to get in and out of. But some people love it. I don't. If you want more details of van conversions with double (or twin bunk single) fixed beds, I surveyed the market extensively 18 months ago and can pass on details. Email me (or post your email address).

A couple you might like to think about: 1) Stephens motorhomes do a conversion on the Mercedes Sprinter with a fixed rear bed - try www.stephens-motorhomes.co.uk 2) SEA do a model with a roof bed - the SEA Sloop 5 I believe.

Hi Allen August MMM has an article about the new Vanmaster range that contains brief details of a conversion call the Vanmaster Dream which they are to import from german maker HRZ. Built on the mercedes chassis it has a drop down bed over the cab, front lounge, split kitchen amidships and across the rear bathroom with separate shower. Looks good but no price yet and only sparse details. You may be able to get more details frfom Vanmaster - tel 01257 424999 or write to: Vanmaster Touring Homes Ltd Unit 32, Standish Court Bradley Hall Bradley Lane Standish Wigan Lancashire WN6 0XQ Best regards, david

A Word of WARNING: Drop down roof beds are a great space saver in van conversions - but are they practical?. Before committing to one - especially the normal double bed type - get up there (both of you), lie down and then pretend that you have that (normal for those over a certain age) middle of the night loo urge. Get out of bed without disturbing your partner, climb down, visit the loo and climb back up. You'll find that all these beds have a major problem - and you've just encountered it. The Hymer Exsis, for example, requires you to climb down from the end of the bed where your pillows are, with only about 2 feet of headroom to turn through 180 degrees so you can reverse down the ladder. And try to do this without kicking your partner in many different places!!

A Word of WARNING: Drop down roof beds are a great space saver in van conversions - but are they practical?. Before committing to one - especially the normal double bed type - get up there (both of you), lie down and then pretend that you have that (normal for those over a certain age) middle of the night loo urge. Get out of bed without disturbing your partner, climb down, visit the loo and climb back up. You'll find that all these beds have a major problem - and you've just encountered it. The Hymer Exsis, for example, requires you to climb down from the end of the bed where your pillows are, with only about 2 feet of headroom to turn through 180 degrees so you can reverse down the ladder. And try to do this without kicking your partner in many different places!! For heavens sake, never buy ANY m'home without having done a full practicality test of ALL the beds. We met a German couple in Norway with the Weinsberg van conversion that has two rear bunk beds - the only sleeping accommodation. They hated it - the beds were too short and not wide enough and getting in and out (because of the width limitation) into the centralk corridor, was a major contortion. I already knew this, because, during my searches, I'd tried it out as a serious contender (see photo in my MMM article part 1 in June issue).

Archived