Rate of Annual Depreciation

deckboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pricing and valuing vans is not an exact science - in fact it is not any sort of science - more like a lottery - lose lose scenario!!

Glass's guide prices exist for many but not all makes and models but only apply to dealers buying or trade ins at bottom book price or less as retail prices are usually way way above Glass's top book.

In year one you can kiss goodbye to around £5k to £10k in dealer margin etc depending on model and price paid and after that around £2k to £4k a year depending on desirability of the van and how long you keep it.

Buying privately and keeping a van a long time is the most cost effective way of owning.

Buying a good older van could show no depreciation at all if you get it right but it might cost more in repairs and maintenance.

It should still be possible to buy a new previous year model at a heavily discounted price which after a few years will go a long way to offset the initial hit.

Guest JudgeMental

two examples:

I lost £4K on my 4.5 year old Euramobil in 2011 when I PX'd it In Germany. Before Christmas thought about changing for a new van that has just come out. One German and one Belgian dealer offered me 34K and 35K in PX for a new 40K van. the van I have only cost 37 K, so that would be 3K deprecation in 2 years (prices in €). I have decided not to go ahead due to health. No wonder they call UK treasure island! and guess who the pirates are. A friend on ebike forum looking at a new CB, ones he is interested in are at leaset £10,000 cheaper in Europe even with a sliding £ ...

its not rocket science.. the longer you keep it the less the depreciation. You can change and not lose much but you have to be selective and canny about who you deal with...sell private best practice and then shop about....

So the last two 'Self-Builds' that I have sold after two and three seasons use respectively for just about the building cost were a good deal then? They were both built on ex-demonstrator vehicles with minimal mileage when new and had covered about 15,000 miles per season of use.

I recon it takes me about four months to build and finish one so by the above calculations it's well worth the effort. I am aware that being retired makes this possible.

You might guess that I am not too worried about depreciation.

For those doing the calculations our current vehicle is now two years old so might just be up for sale at the end of this season! Yes it is the one in the avatar.

pelmetman - 2013-02-15 4:22 PM

£21000 cost new.....less insurance value now £5000 = £16000 divided by 22 years = £727 ish a year :D

Costs less in depreciation than either Sue or Troy then Dave - how do running costs, maintenance and repairs compare!!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-02-15 4:45 PM

£21000 cost new.....less insurance value now £5000 = £16000 divided by 22 years = £727 ish a year :D

Costs less in depreciation than either Sue or Troy then Dave - how do running costs, maintenance and repairs compare!!

Repairs Rich? :-S...............Horace is not a Fiat :D............Running costs are cheap ;-)

Since Horace hit 20 I have embarked on a refurbishment and upgrade, complete brake overhaul with new cylinders, new wings and full cab respray, 5 new tyres , air bags, refillable gas tank, new tv, extra sockets.........about 3.5k so far.... just the Luton windows to do this year ;-).........and maybe a reupholstery :-S.........although the original is still holding up quite well so might just replace the foam in the dinette seats :D

pelmetman - 2013-02-15 5:58 PM

Repairs Rich? :-S...............Horace is not a Fiat :D............Running costs are cheap ;-)

Since Horace hit 20 I have embarked on a refurbishment and upgrade, complete brake overhaul with new cylinders, new wings and full cab respray, 5 new tyres , air bags, refillable gas tank, new tv, extra sockets.........about 3.5k so far.... just the Luton windows to do this year ;-).........and maybe a reupholstery :-S.........although the original is still holding up quite well so might just replace the foam in the dinette seats :D

Dave, as these are all costs that us frequent changers never have to contend with perhaps the cost of all those ongoing repairs and refurbishments should be added to the depreciation figure to give a more accurate cost of ownership?

Guest 1footinthegrave
I suppose given that it would have been possible, I could have kept my old Commer all these years, but would I have wanted to use it in 2013 I very much doubt. But given some of the figures that some people "lose" to upgrade, would buy some seriously decent holidays, without the costs associated with any van, makes you wonder why any of us would want to bother carting and emptying buckets of poo around at all really :D

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-02-15 7:02 PM

pelmetman - 2013-02-15 5:58 PM

Dave, as these are all costs that us frequent changers never have to contend with perhaps the cost of all those ongoing repairs and refurbishments should be added to the depreciation figure to give a more accurate cost of ownership?

Well I reckon if I have to spend 4 or 5 thousand every 20 years to keep Horace in fine fettle then I'm quids in :D

When compared to the average motorhome buyer who can expect 4 or 5k depreciation every time they change plus of course the extra 10k they have to add for trading up to a newer model ;-).........do that every 5 years and it adds up to a lot more than just 5 thousand over 20 years 8-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I guess it comes down to can a person afford it, but I do sometimes question the wisdom when the 80k van pulls in to the same field as me,to enjoy the same view. :D

Having said that even our 2003 van is light years better than the old one it replaced,

but back to the OPs question, I think the best answer probably is, if you need to ask that question perhaps better not to bother with a van in the first place. :-S

When I think of the cash we have done over the years, even always buying second hand, it does not make much sense :-(

and I will resist the urge to refer to the OP's location, oh bugger, just done it :D

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2013-02-15 6:59 PM

peter - 2013-02-15 6:08 PM

British van = Like falling off a cliff

Continental van = Negligible. :D

Based on what facts exactly?

That comparison = bollox!

there are two above right under your nose that you conveniently ignore . UK van £9K deprecation in 2.5 years and mine 4K in 4.5 years..that is without my second example that is even better..You want to keep being ripped of with shoddy built and overpriced (overweight in your case) UK vans be my quest....Mug

JudgeMental - 2013-02-15 7:50 PM

there are two above right under your nose that you conveniently ignore . UK van £9K deprecation in 2.5 years and mine 4K in 4.5 years..that is without my second example that is even better..You want to keep being ripped of with shoddy built and overpriced (overweight in your case) UK vans be my quest....Mug

Not quite, and there is no need to be rude!

Correct me if I am wrong but as I see it you are not comparing like with like here?

You bought your van abroad at a lower price whereas most people will buy from a UK dealer and pay the agreed rip off prices where depreciation will be broadly similar and much more dependent on dealer attitude, original new price, and resale desirability than origin.

I can't recall whether you p/x'd or not but a straight cash buy will generally save on depreciation as long as you can get a good enough price selling privately.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-02-15 8:03 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-02-15 7:50 PM

Not quite, and there is no need to be rude!

Correct me if I am wrong but as I see it you are not comparing like with like here?

You bought your van abroad at a lower price whereas most people will buy from a UK dealer and pay the agreed rip off prices where depreciation will be broadly similar and much more dependent on dealer attitude, original new price, and resale desirability than origin.

I can't recall whether you p/x'd or not but a straight cash buy will generally save on depreciation as long as you can get a good enough price selling privately.

And I do think it's a shame more people do not support some of the smaller British companies like IH who probably wipe the floor with a lot of manufacturers both British and European. ;-) and are very sought after second hand

As mentioned by others there are too many variables to make any accurate comment.

Do you sell your privately, or part exchange on a newer model, or just sell it for cash. All will show a large variation in numbers. The best price is probably selling it a P/X for a model the dealer is looking to move out of the forecourt. He/she will probably be more generous to you in a 'swop' price. Sell privately and you are looking at between trade in value and forecourt price for a similar model, but you need someone with the 'readies' and in these recessionary times, that may not be so easy. IOf you just sell it to a dealer for cash you will get very little for it, or will be shocked, mainly because the dealer has to expend cash and wait to get a return. You could of course take another option and get the dealer to sell it for you at commission, but then you lose 10%.

Although common opinion has it that motorhomes depreciate less than cars and some of the prices you see for very old models do beggar belief, the fact is that unless you are in the trade be prepared to lose money more than you expect. My guess is that year 1 you lose 15%, year 2, make it 20% and year 3, probably more like 30%.again unless you trade a good deal on a new model. By year 5 you will lose 50% or more. Of course things like condition and mileage also play a part. I do stress these are just guesses.

Guest pelmetman
Caddies104 - 2013-02-15 9:32 PM

Hi

Part ex a Swift Suntor for a new Auto Trail... In 2011

Cost of Suntor = £26,700, new

Price against an Autotrail 5 years later = £23,000

Now that's a bargain and both British, there are deals if you look!!

But how much more was the Autotrail? :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-02-15 9:34 PM

Hi

Quite................ we were offered exactly what we had paid for our van from a private seller 3 years ago 18k but only against a new one, guess there most be a fair bit of profit to be had ;-) but being sneaky I telephoned and spoke to another salesman asking for a cash settlement for our van, and the offer was 12 to 13k, even though they had the almost the exact same van listed at £21.995 :-(

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-02-15 9:43 PM

pelmetman - 2013-02-15 9:34 PM

Hi

Quite................ we were offered exactly what we had paid for our van from a private seller 3 years ago 18k but only against a new one, guess there most be a fair bit of profit to be had ;-) but being sneaky I telephoned and spoke to another salesman asking for a cash settlement for our van, and the offer was 12 to 13k, even though they had the almost the exact same van listed at £21.995 :-(

So depending on how the cake is sliced ;-)................Mr & Mrs Average Motorhomer will shell out 15 to 20k of their kids inheritance :D...............................every 5 years or so (lol) (lol) (lol)

Oooop's shouldn't of said that should I? 8-)

Archived