Rate of Annual Depreciation

deckboy

Dave225 - 2013-02-15 8:17 PM

As mentioned by others there are too many variables to make any accurate comment.

Do you sell your privately, or part exchange on a newer model, or just sell it for cash.

My guess is that year 1 you lose 15%, year 2, make it 20% and year 3, probably more like 30%.again unless you trade a good deal on a new model. By year 5 you will lose 50% or more. Of course things like condition and mileage also play a part. I do stress these are just guesses.

Hi Dave;

As you say there are lots of factors.............

If your guesses on the rates of depreciation are anywhere near correct then after three or four years we might as well give our vans away!!!

What this would mean in terms of the cost of each year of vanning is horrendous!!

Also: I don't think that dealers use your rates for their calculations. no way! Unless they do that calc then add 50% when they put the price on the forecourt.

I prefer to use ;

Depreciation in first year = -VAT (maybe plus 10%, not sure if this is ott)

Subsequent years = -10%

I would probably have low/medium/high mileage bands and crappy/ok/great condition bands too.

But I admit; it's all guesswork!

With a bespoke PVC it's also even more of a lottery, but maybe if we put some coffe on, played the right music on the iPod and offered some griddled canapes from the outdoor plumbed in hob, we'd achieve a knockout deal; and buyer and seller would be excruciatingly happy??

Or maybe we go to our local motorhome dealer and admit we made a mistake?

I think not; we'll keep it until we get tired of it

regards

alan b

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caddies104 - 2013-02-15 9:32 PM

Hi

Part ex a Swift Suntor for a new Auto Trail... In 2011

Cost of Suntor = £26,700, new

Price against an Autotrail 5 years later = £23,000

Now that's a bargain and both British, there are deals if you look!!

In 5 years I think the cost of an Autotrail has gone up quite a lot so although you got a 'good' px value, if the Autotrail was at it's normal retail price it actually doesn't mean anything. Some dealers inflate the price of their vehicles (or keep them as high as they dare) so that they can then offer you what you think is a very good px, but the overall deal isn't necessarily any better than anywhere else, so it isn't so much how much you got for your Suntor but how much extra you had to pay to get the Autotrail. I'm not saying you didn't get a good overall deal, but just looking at the px value on its own actually doesn't mean much. :-S

Guest JudgeMental

When you drive your camper in for a PX the motorhome dealer must rub there hands with glee, and have a quite chuckle...... as you have just handed them their yearly Caribbean holiday on a plate...

It's all slight of hand...smoke and mirrors. You think your getting a great deal as PX price high, but your paying well over the top for the new one. Sell privately and screw a better deal as a cash buyer...simples

Based on the current trade in price for my continental A-clas against new, it has depreciated by an average 5.4% over the last 8 years with the biggest dip in the first year as expected. Now levelling out.

The same model - bigger and with more bells and whistles [not all desirable] has risen in price by just 2%.

Overall, the cost of changing to the new model is 82% of the purchase price of the original 8 year old van. Perhaps that is the true cost of depreciation.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2013-02-16 9:29 AM

Overall, the cost of changing to the new model is 82% of the purchase price of the original 8 year old van. Perhaps that is the true cost of depreciation.

Plus the cost of finance if you haven't got the ready's sat in the bank ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've noticed the OP has not replied as yet, perhaps he only logs on the internet once a week to save money on his electricity bill :D

peter - 2013-02-15 6:08 PM

British van = Like falling off a cliff

Continental van = Negligible. :D

Oh dear, for someone who was mug enough to buy a Merc and think he has a good value motor about sums it up. In fact if you are dealing within the UK you will get a much better part ex deal if your van is a UK model and RH drive. For example I part exed a 2003 Swift Sundance for a 2008 Sundance in March 2008, I got £24,000 for the 2003 and paid £29,500 for the 2008, this was a smaller Sundance a 530LP. Last year I was offered £27,000 in part ex for a van I only paid £29,000 for, I admit the new price had risen a lot in the meantime but it tends to on all vans. My next van, a British built PVC turned out to be a big mistake, as i have admitted on here in another thread, but when i sold it this week I got some great offers for it and in fact lost very little money on it. I am not sure who people like Peter and Eddie are trying to convince about how good Euro vans are, themselfs perhaps because they bought them. Eddies last coachbuilt was by his own admission full of damp yet he still goes on about how good they are, weird. He bangs on about German Quality and buys an Adria. Peter seems to think Mercedes are the holy grail of base vehicle, go back over the threads Peter and read 'Euroserves' thoughts on differant vans and he runs more than most. Mercedes you buy for the badge because their is absolutely no evidence they are any better, even the badge cuts 'little ice' with M/H,s though. As for British v Euro vans this will never be resolved on here as we have to many 'anything British' is no good merchants who just love living in the past. I have just bought my forth UK built van in a row and expect it to be just as well built and reliable as the others, it will certainly bring a better part ex price in the uk than the euro stuff. Buying in Europe, as Eddies does, is a differant story and personally does not convince me but that is for each to decide personally. In answer to the original question, as others have said impossible to answer. It would seem from Glass's Guide and auction prices plus my own experience that in the UK you will get less depreciation on a RHD UK built van in europe the opposite will apply, depends where you trade your vehicle really

Guest JudgeMental

you really are an idiot H and about as stupid as they come.....

NO signs of damp in Euramobil

damp detected at PX handover by dealer

Dealer called Euramobil to check that 6 year water ingress warranty still in place

it was

deal went ahead at previously arranged price

drove away for a lovely Easter break taking in Brugge for a few days, after saving 8K on UK price over a poorer specified RHD van.

~~~~~~~~~

Now those are the facts, how many times have I read on here of people putting their feet through rotten floors on your favorite UK make.....Next time I need advice about buying a camper I will ask you first and then do exactly the opposite.

I think if we look too closely at the 'True' costs of our 'hobby, pastime' whatever you like to call it, we would probably find that we could 'Jet off' somewhere hot for a lot less cash overall.

Why don't we ?? well because we don't like to, doesn't mean we havn't done that too in our 'time' or a cruise ? (take your own toilet !!). We like to 'Please ourselves' and enjoy the 'freedom' (local councils permitting !). Anyone with any 'Saved Cash' in the Bank at the moment is finding that savings rates are not even keeping up with inflation, let alone providing an 'income' in old age. My Answer : spend some of it , and hopefully keep some guys employed in Grimsby. Why provide jobs for the rest of Europe ?

I don't subscribe to the idea that everything that comes out of Europe is better than it's UK equivelant,

It's mainly UK management practises and Financial 'Nonce' that we seem to lack compared to Europe.

SO, If you are looking closely at the pennies, DON'T buy a 'newish' motorhome or PVC, they are NOT a money saving vehicle. Ray

JudgeMental - 2013-02-16 11:33 AM

you really are an idiot H and about as stupid as they come.....

Please try to answer postings that differ from your own perspective and which do not insult you without you using insults and rudeness to try and emphasise your own point of view whilst putting down those who disagree?

You might find that people stop seeing you as an irritating bigot - not that I would ever call you that of course!

Everyone is just as entitled as you are to have a point of view and most of us generally manage it without being rude to others unless insulted first - please give it a try if only for the good of the forum.

You have so much experience and knowledge to share and it is a shame that it gets spoilt.

Guest JudgeMental

Only an imbecile can ask me to be "nice" in one sentence only to follow it up with calling me a irritating bigot in the next you maggot. Me a Bigot? I have been watching some of your petty racist and hateful outbursts over on chatterbox emboldened by the company of other small minded and nasty little englanders.

stay out of my business.. I was only replying to yet more rubbish from H about my circumstances

The open forum is not 'your' business it is everyone's business.

I didn't call you an irritating bigot - it was sent to me in a pm by someone else that you have offended - one who is unwilling to respond and justifiably afraid of being bullied by you if he/she does reply in kind.

Quite a reputation you have.

Guest JudgeMental
I am a decent man with christian values unlike you and your pals...I see there is a vacancy for a new Pope, may suit your pious front. But they would get the measure of you in about 5 minutes, just like most decent thinking people on here have already..We are well used to your flaming, you would not last 5 minutes on a moderated forum.

And you would last how long?

This reminds me of Jeux sans frontieres - Eddie has played his joker - the 'christian' card!!

WOW everybody!!

Well sorry Eddie but I don't see much christian charity towards anyone emanating from you on this forum!!

And by the way, you will find if you care to look before chucking around unfounded accusations, that I tend to avoid racist type threads.

Like the vast majority of us on here, but with a couple of unspecified exceptions, I've never seen you as anything other than a decent person - just one who is unable or unwilling to stop himself continually being rude to others without justification!!

Guest JudgeMental

you talking to me dim wit or the judge. All I did was challenge what H said about my camper which was factually untrue....Yea I was annoyed because he keeps on doing it. then you stick your nose in flaming again as per usual. and we end up here because I will not sit idly by and let you get away with it.

you have been banned on here before, in desperation reinvented yourself and come crawling back the snake in the grass that you are. unfortunately this forum does not Have a "ignore button" so I ignore you. as best I can... But when you directly confront me as in this instance you leave me with little choice!

JudgeMental - 2013-02-16 2:47 PM

you leave me with little choice

There is always a choice - don't be so bloomin' offensive all the time!!

I see you as 'mental' rather than 'judge' material and if you don't like Eddie then I can refer to you as Mr Mental if you wish!!

deckboy - 2013-02-16 4:12 PM

AVAST THERE!!

All I did was ask the original question in the (naive?) hope that I would get some help from wiser hands :-S

Thanks to those who have tried to help a beginner. :-D

The answer to your question is that there is no definitive answer as it depends on..............................

deckboy - 2013-02-16 4:12 PM

AVAST THERE!!

All I did was ask the original question in the (naive?) hope that I would get some help from wiser hands :-S

Thanks to those who have tried to help a beginner. :-D

You're very welcome "Deckboy" and don't take it personally; many threads just "kick-off" for no apparent reason. Under normal circumstances I would apologise on behalf of.....the rest of us.......... but I don't know the contributors to this forum well enough to presume,

Take care,

regards

alan b

snowie - 2013-02-17 3:18 PM

You're very welcome "Deckboy" and don't take it personally; many threads just "kick-off" for no apparent reason. Under normal circumstances I would apologise on behalf of.....the rest of us.......... but I don't know the contributors to this forum well enough to presume,

Take care,

regards

alan b

No problem Alan

Been a member of many forums and the same thing happens on them all - off at a tangent at the least excuse (lol)

Still intend becoming a member of the campervan/motorhome community this year - no matter what.

Guest 1footinthegrave
deckboy - 2013-02-17 3:24 PM

snowie - 2013-02-17 3:18 PM

Take care,

regards

alan b

No problem Alan

Been a member of many forums and the same thing happens on them all - off at a tangent at the least excuse (lol)

Still intend becoming a member of the campervan/motorhome community this year - no matter what.

Good for you, look forward to some fun and travel, and forget the depreciation if I was you ;-)

That will be the least of your worries :D :D

Now where's my MOT fail certificate :-S

Archived