Wifi

twitcherwood

Just discovered the existence of the 'High Gain USB Omni-Directional Antenna' reportedly an antenna which increases ability to receive WiFi signals by up to 1km away - for use in the UK and Europe. I'd really welcome any feedback on experiences of any users of this antenna! We're planning on spending 3-4 months in Europe and not planning on usin many official sites but using aires etc where wifi not so likely to be 'on hand'! I know we can use internet cafes etc but this sounds like it could be a useful addition - if it works! Thanks ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

you dont say which one your interested in...we have the faculty X, works OK, good on site as it pulls in a decent signal. But dont go thinking you are going to go around getting free wifi everywhere, as most routers are secure and locked and need a password....

My one is a flimsy gray box style so when I stick it on roof I do worry if its going to get damaged...I think I should have bought the antenna style as they look far more robust

If this is the one you mean then i have one as recommended on here :-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html

They work very well and definitely boost the wi-fi signal. Not so sure about the " 1 km range " but

they do extend it a decent amount.

There are " Directional " ones that will recieve from that kind of distance but they are more expensive.

Wooie - 2013-02-16 4:53 PM

If this is the one you mean then i have one as recommended on here :-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html

They work very well and definitely boost the wi-fi signal. Not so sure about the " 1 km range " but

they do extend it a decent amount.

There are " Directional " ones that will recieve from that kind of distance but they are more expensive.

Yes I have one of these as well. Used it now for almost a year in varying situations with mixed results when linked to my ASUS netbook. Not convinced it was a necessary purchase as I can sometimes get a better signal just using the netbook 8-)

Occasionally I think it boosts the signal but feel that if it is a poor signal (like many french campsites) then you simply have to get nearer their router to get a better signal. I have not found many situations where the signal is boosted and you really need good line of sight between it and the router aerial for it to work best.

I also only instal the standard driver and have learnt not to install the other software as it really doesn't do anything that Windows 7 "Network and Sharing Centre" doesn't do.

Still it is easy to store and easy to put up so at the moment I am keeping it.

I have had a Rocket for a few years yes most of the time it will improve the signal but not every time. The claimed range is 500m clear line of site. I normally just rest it in the cab side window not found any advantage putting outside though if it was psitioned high up on the roof I would expect a better signal. For the money it's a good bit of kit and a lot easier to set up than a directional aerial.

The only " Free " wi-fi I have been able to use in France is at Mcdonalds I have picked up loads of signals from other sources, but were unable to log on without a password also in the Office -de-Tourism I have had to get a password even when the wi-fi has been free .

kelly58 - 2013-02-18 10:23 AM

The only " Free " wi-fi I have been able to use in France is at Mcdonalds I have picked up loads of signals from other sources, but were unable to log on without a password also in the Office -de-Tourism I have had to get a password even when the wi-fi has been free .

Well that's a bit encouraging. I changed to BT to allow me to use the FON network in France so will just wait and see.

sshortcircuit - 2013-02-18 1:01 PM
kelly58 - 2013-02-18 10:23 AMThe only " Free " wi-fi I have been able to use in France is at Mcdonalds I have picked up loads of signals from other sources, but were unable to log on without a password also in the Office -de-Tourism I have had to get a password even when the wi-fi has been free .
Well that's a bit encouraging. I changed to BT to allow me to use the FON network in France so will just wait and see.

We had BT Phon before we went to talktalk and again never found a live wi-fi link in UK or Europe.

kelly58 - 2013-02-18 3:12 PM
kelly58 - 2013-02-18 10:23 AMThe only " Free " wi-fi I have been able to use in France is at Mcdonalds I have picked up loads of signals from other sources, but were unable to log on without a password also in the Office -de-Tourism I have had to get a password even when the wi-fi has been free .

We had BT Phon before we went to talktalk and again never found a live wi-fi link in UK or Europe.

Well you certainly appear to have been very very unlucky . As I said previously I am currently connected to a FON connection down the street and have also been out and about and had absolutely no problems getting connected. Will just have to wait and see when in France

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-02-18 3:32 PM
kelly58 - 2013-02-18 3:12 PM

Well you certainly appear to have been very very unlucky . As I said previously I am currently connected to a FON connection down the street and have also been out and about and had absolutely no problems getting connected. Will just have to wait and see when in France
My faculty X unit picks up BT networks all over the place, but I cant log on as not a customer. Kelly I think you are doing something wrong....

lennyhb - 2013-02-18 9:41 AM

I have had a Rocket for a few years yes most of the time it will improve the signal but not every time. The claimed range is 500m clear line of site. I normally just rest it in the cab side window not found any advantage putting outside though if it was psitioned high up on the roof I would expect a better signal. For the money it's a good bit of kit and a lot easier to set up than a directional aerial.

I find that if i get it as high as i can and if i stand on the cab step i can get it above the roof line it

makes a big difference in reception.

For less than £25 i think it`s OK.

Kelly58, i`ve never had a problem finding BT Fon / Wifi unless i`m really in the middle of nowhere.

If any are there then Logging In is straightforward.

sambukashot - 2013-02-18 6:29 PM

The rocket antenna is a very flimsy i would not recommend it at all, the best wifi antenna for the money is either the Alpha or a good Yagi If you need any help getting wifi please just ask me

Cheapest 'set up' that works and can be fitted to the van without drilling a hole?PC used is a Dell E5500 laptop with ample ports. Looking to improve signal reception as last year I was on a few sites which had very poor coverage.

Cheapest 'set up' that works and can be fitted to the van without drilling a hole?

PC used is a Dell E5500 laptop with ample ports. Looking to improve signal reception as last year I was on a few sites which had very poor coverage.

With regards to a setup that Works, there are lots of different WiFi antennas available and no real "right or wrong" way to do it, since you have no control over the equipment used by the remote network. This means that different situations or sites different WiFi antennas will perform differently. What might work the best in one site, might not work the best in another. Omni's are the easiest to use, but directional give the best range (but require some manual adjustment to setup).

All of our WiFi antennas are all configured to work at the maximum permissible power output for the EU - or we wouldn't be allowed to sell them. They are also weatherproof and can be suction mounted to the outside of the van for a temporary but secure installation. They're not the cheapest (we don't outsource our technical support to India!) and so if you didn't want the weatherproof or suction capabilities, and were happy to "rest it" somewhere, then other types are available.

Best thing is to listen to peoples personal experiences, some good advice can be found on the Motorhome forums.

All the best,

Adam

http://www.motorhomewifi.com

Archived