Fridge wonky - I'm sick of gas problems!!!

Mel B

I seem to be plagued by problems with gas, in previous vans we had problems with gas and fridges, in our current van we've had a fire (as some will already know!), and problems with the ruddy thing not working right. 2 years ago we had the gas control regulator replaced (behind the temperature control knob) as it was leaking - just before our French holiday - we had to have it done again 6 weeks ago and now the damned thing won't work on gas at all!!!! It was fine fortunately for our 2 week trip to France but we've been away down south for a week and it packed up on the second day - Sunday! Despite some calls no one was able to help so we just had to live with it, changing our bookings to CLs with electric which we were very fortunate to be able to do (much ringing round). Now down to the problem: The fridge works fine on 12v whilst travelling, fine on mains but on gas we can get the gas to come on, press in the knob and it stops clicking and ignites, after waiting up to 10 seconds and releasing the knob the clicking starts again .. it won't stay on. We've checked the flame - it's a lovely one that it's Mother would be proud of! So that tells us that there is plenty of gas getting through, it lights okay so no problem there. The only thing I can come up with is that the flame failure device has malfunctioned, or bust, or something, and that it isn't letting the 'brain' know that there is definitely a nice flame and plenty of gas so that it is okay to let it stay on. Anyone else any ideas as to what it might be? I'm going to ring my nice little chap at the local Dometic warranty company tomorrow ... he's been that many times over the last few years we're on first name terms and I know how he likes his coffee!! The last time he came he just peered over the gate at me and said ... "You don't have much luck with gas do you????!!!!". PS: Have you ever 'drunk' ice-cream - interesting to say the least!!!

Could be the themal couple! needs to be hot which causes it to expand and open the gas valve allowing the gas to flow, when it gets cold and contracts the gas flow is cut off! this how it works on mains gas at home - could be the same on the fridge Mel, not a diy job I would have thought. Carol

Certainly sounds like a thermocouple-related problem. If you can access the fridge's burner-assembly it's normally a very simple job to clean the thermocouple and that part of the burner-assembly that it's attached to. (If there's a lot of dirt present, just a good suck with a vacuum-cleaner may do the trick.) John Wickersham's book also says "sometimes the attachment nut loosens and gas fails to reach the burner because the thermocouple is not opening the gas valve. During a service the tightness of this nut is checked". (There's a photo that seems to indicate that he's referring to a connection behind the fridge's fascia.)

Don't know when you had your habitation check, but operation of the fridge and cleaning of the burner/thermocouple should have been included.  You'd have to check what the service depot say they do.  I expectyour Dometic man will fix it, but if he lays the blame on poor maintenance you'll know who to ask for the money back!

Brian, I've recently had the third habitation check done on my Timberland. As the fridge gets used mainly on gas I found out "AFTER" the check that they don't take the fridge out (no other access to it) but just check that it's working OK. They did say if I had asked for the fridge to be removed and checked they would have done so. I thought that was very good of them telling me that after the event. Being a small concern they don't have a resident gas man but use a local corgi registered man. I rang the local Dometic office and was told they will not come and service my fridge but will attend if there is a problem with it. I could not understand that reasoning at all. Don

The Motorcaravan Manual contains a page listing the elements of a typical habitation service and "Light and test for cooling" (on gas) appears to be the only task carried out on the fridge. This shouldn't be too surprising, as a properly installed fridge (ie. one where the back has been fully sealed from the leisure-vehicle's interior) can take a lot of time to unseal then reseal after maintenance has taken place. It's also true that the requirement for cleaning a fridge's gas side will depend on how the appliance is employed. Don uses his fridge a lot, mainly on gas, so more regular cleaning of the gas chimney/burner will be needed than for a fridge that is run predominantly on 12V and 230V.

Derek Interesting about the nut behind the facia, especially since we recently had the temperature control/valve bit replaced, it may simply have come loose if it hasn't been tightened up property. The habitation service isn't due until September so I can't blame the usual dealership really. I suspect it is the thermal thingy - the gas is definitely getting through no problem so I suspect it's either that or this nut that Derek's on about. I'll soon know, the chap's coming on Wednesday ... I'll keep you posted. Thank goodness it's still under warranty!

Update: Chap came out this morning, spent over an hour on the van and pronounced that the fault was ... with the new bit they'd put in a few weeks ago!!! Apparently the main flame valve (?) on the new part had just decided to pack-up so although it would light it wouldn't let it stay lit. The good news is that it didn't cost a bean - for the warranty company that is. We've booked our 'free' habitation check for the day after we get back off holiday in September - 2 days before the warranty expires - at least that way if we develop any problems whilst away they can be rectified 'free' ... I just hope they don't expect the van to be pristine!!!

Archived