mifi or dongle

Suda

The equipment you want to connect to the internet has to be able to work on wifi to use a "mifi".

You put an appropriate SIM card into the "mifi"which connects to the internet via a mobile phone signal / provider (just like a dongle or mobile 'phone) - the difference is that it then broadcasts a wireless signal which can be used by up to 5 wifi enabled pieces of kit (laptop, kindle, tablet etc) and has a security code so only you can get on to it. Just like using your wifi router at home.

If you are going to use it abroad it is best to get an unlocked one so you can use local SIMs. I use the Huawei E586 - get the version with the antenna socket so you can extend your ability to get a good signal with an aerial.

Frankkia - 2013-02-16 8:53 PM

If you are going to use it abroad it is best to get an unlocked one so you can use local SIMs. I use the Huawei E586 - get the version with the antenna socket so you can extend your ability to get a good signal with an aerial.

Was yours already unlocked when you got it Bernie, or did you arrange that? As you'll see from my thread on the "H&T" section, several people have advised ways I can get mine unlocked (other than the evil 3-monsters!), I wonder if you've anything to add?

Hi Tony

Sorry for the delay in responding - Been busy getting the 'van ready for off to Portugal.

I bought mine already unlocked from "Fleabay" and so far it works very well. It has the "3" logo on it but was brand new with the plastic cover still on.

The E586e is the model to go for as it has an antenna socket so can get a 3G signal in more out of the way places - you would have to get an antenna to suit though. The E586 is still a good piece of kit though.

I have used mine with an Irish Vodafone SIM card which gives me access all over Europe for €2.99 per day with a 50meg per day limit. I also use an Aldi SIM whilst in Germany which gives me access there for €1.99 per day.

Archived