ferry prices how do the clubs do it...

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

just having a quick look around at prices for a trip at Easter. Did not renew CC membership but wondering how they manage to quote prices at more or less half the direct published fares...Is it bulk buying power or what?

usually use the tunnel but prices have really jumped this year!

JudgeMental - 2013-02-17 2:13 PM

just having a quick look around at prices for a trip at Easter. Did not renew CC membership but wondering how they manage to quote prices at more or less half the direct published fares...Is it bulk buying power or what?

'Viva Tesco' - but for how long !!

I think as you, bulk sell and buy brings down prices.

The ferry suppliers have differing levels of price for the same crossing,, this can be seen on the CC search where the same times of sailing may have two or three prices,

When a search is carried out a "beloved Cookie" tells the ferry site what level of price to offer, maybe in the case of CC. the level is two or three below "average punter" hence the two or three prices quoted.

Rgds

No rime or reason, I've usually found CC to be £10-£20 cheaper on P&O and when DFDS was Norfolk line sometimes CC would be a lot cheaper other times booking NF dircect was much cheaper. You have to do the legwork every time. Also sometimes it's cheaper to book in advance other times cheaper a couple of days before you go.

Guest JudgeMental
william1 - 2013-02-17 6:17 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-02-17 2:13 PM

'Viva Tesco' - but for how long !!

Just think for a minute and look what you pay for the shopping to get these so called "free" crossings... *-)

Judge

Don't you buy food in your household then ???. Tesco happens to be my nearest supermarket, so it suits me to shop there (don't buy burgers!!), and as the points are offered anyway.

Good value re the Tunnel crossing, but not very practical for us, as we live near the Portsmouth Ferry, and it takes as long to drive to the Tunnel, as it does to cross to Cherbourg on the Fast Cat ideal for any one who lives north, or near the M25

PJay

Yesterday, looking at Eurotunnel for peak summer, I sat with the CC's site open and Eurotunnel's alongside. CC was a little under 11% cheaper for each crossing I looked at, which was a Thursday out and return (so not the peak of the peak crossings). I've just tried again just now and went for a real peak quote of Saturday out Saturday back. That came in at 12.19% cheaper with CC.

So they're not huge cost differences and not straightforward percentage reductions to remember either, but the savings do seem worthwhile - somewhere between £18 and £24 for the pair of crossings I experimented with.

I'm assuming that once the crossing is booked, the CC then plays no further part (as it will then be between customer and Eurotunnel), so I can't see anything to be gained from booking through the latter.

Shaun

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-02-18 11:07 AM

Judge

Don't you buy food in your household then ???. Tesco happens to be my nearest supermarket, so it suits me to shop there (don't buy burgers!!), and as the points are offered anyway.

Good value re the Tunnel crossing, but not very practical for us, as we live near the Portsmouth Ferry, and it takes as long to drive to the Tunnel, as it does to cross to Cherbourg on the Fast Cat ideal for any one who lives north, or near the M25

PJay

Not much to be honest....We use Lidl for fruit and veg and other stuff saving about 20-30% on what the big boys charge. a butchers for meat and a fish shop for fish :D

You don't just have to buy FOOD to get Tesco points, however we do use it for a lot of our normal household shopping but usually get the special offers/reduced priced goods so it doesn't cost us a packet - we've got loads and loads of points to use for the Tunnel. :-D

gocro - 2013-02-17 6:55 PM

I'm a CC member and they quoted me a price £40 more than I manged to get myself direct from Brittany Ferries to Bilbao in January.It pays to check every time. Only did it cause I was to late to use our

Tesco Rewards for the tunnel.

You won't be the first and certainly not the only one to state this either. I'm always baffled by the amount of folk who believe belonging to some Club automatically gives them cheaper Ferry fares than those 'outsiders'......the non-members.

Last year DFDS for a limited period offered fares as cheap as £46 return, bookable all the way through 2013 too. Naturally that was open to anyone.

Have any Clubs ever offered prices like that? No.

Quite happy with our CC rate with DFDS into Calais, £48 return for our 22'6" coachbuilt seems pretty good to me and better than any other quote I looked at by miles and at good crossing times too. Worked out cheaper than DFDS multi trip offer so booked all four crossings with CC as if I require a change of time it is a one off £10, unless the crossing is at a dearer time, so still cheaper than the other quotes.

Also if you wish to change or have any corespondance it is with the CC not DFDS.

Bas

"Last year DFDS for a limited period offered fares as cheap as £46 return, bookable all the way through 2013 too. Naturally that was open to anyone.

Have any Clubs ever offered prices like that? No."

"Bulletguy"

Actually the answer is YES!.

Last year we booked a DFDS return (Dover/Dunkirk) through CC. Their price was cheaper than booking direct with DFDS and we could choose any crossing (not those in the wee small hours which, at the time , was the way to access the cheaper crossings through DFDS). The total cost was less than a single journey with P & O.

Also see Basil's post above.

It is always worth knowing the facts. Whilst neither club is perfect (just as none of us are) it seems that in many aspects of life some people are ready to make negative comments which aren't always borne out by facts. It has been reported that some centuries ago a great thinker commented that if enough people believe something then it becomes true, whether or not it is. More recently there was a (possibly apocryphal) tale of a newspaper magnate who had the philosophy of "why should the facts get in the way of a good story?"

However, I agree that it is worth checking with both clubs and with the ferry company. In the past we found that with Sea France prices were always dearer through CCC and CC. Hence, and in the light of the above, I don't always take supposedly guaranteed cheaper prices through either club at face value.

It does pay to carry out a little research.

Guest JudgeMental
If anyone visiting the NEC can they see if dfds discount code available? as they usually have a show offer going on... In the past members have posted it on here....

Guest JudgeMental
If anyone visiting the NEC can they see if dfds discount code available? as they usually have a show offer going on... In the past members have posted it on here....

Today I booked 2 crossings with the Camping & Caravan Club:

1) Van and two cats, Eurotunnel; out in June and back in September - £189.38p as opposed to £203 direct.

2) Car, P and O Ferry; same dates - £69.18 as opposed to £78 direct with P and O.

Total saving £22.44, the savings used to be higher in years gone by in my experience. But better than nothing.

Guest JudgeMental

hang on a minute! what does it cost to join the club in the first place lol In fact its over £40 so you are £20 worse off :D

before you say it I am yet to get on a site of choice when I want to so not joining again :-S

JudgeMental - 2013-02-19 5:26 PM

hang on a minute! what does it cost to join the club in the first place lol In fact its over £40 so you are £20 worse off :D

True, but that's only two trips another two trips and you are even, plus we use the RAC Arrival service, which is only available to club members, to cover the van at 4500 kgs. So it works for us.

One thing not mentioned is changing bookings on the way back !

If you book through CC. it (generally) costs a tenner to change your booking, with a choice of times.

Before we found out it had cost us anything from £0 to £80, depending on the wind direction and if the operator was in good Gaelic humor.

Rgds

mel wood - 2013-02-19 9:08 AM

"Last year DFDS for a limited period offered fares as cheap as £46 return, bookable all the way through 2013 too. Naturally that was open to anyone.

Have any Clubs ever offered prices like that? No."

Actually the answer is YES!.

Last year we booked a DFDS return (Dover/Dunkirk) through CC. Their price was cheaper than booking direct with DFDS and we could choose any crossing (not those in the wee small hours which, at the time , was the way to access the cheaper crossings through DFDS). The total cost was less than a single journey with P & O.

Also see Basil's post above.

Also see Gocro's post.......fourth one down.......and a CC member too. ;-)

tonyishuk - 2013-02-19 5:49 PM

One thing not mentioned is changing bookings on the way back !

If you book through CC. it (generally) costs a tenner to change your booking, with a choice of times.

Before we found out it had cost us anything from £0 to £80, depending on the wind direction and if the operator was in good Gaelic humor.

Rgds

Tony

I changed my return last year with DFDS and they charged me zilch. They only make a charge if the return time you want is at a higher (peak) rate period. No idea what P&O's policy is as I haven't used them now for a while as DFDS times and prices have been beating P&O for some time now.

Archived