Truma for cool air

hallii

If it's the same as the Truma we had on our last MH, then I don't think it draws in any "fresh" air from the outside at all.

It simply recirculates air within the motorhome, passing it around the sealed-from-the-inside-of-the-motorhome atmosphere gas burner/electric heating element core, so that when pumped back out of the unit the air is hotter.

The external vent for it is I believe simply an exhaust pipe for the gas burner.

If you want to get a lot of fresh air into the vehicle (without the obvious solutions of simply opening doors or windows or rooflights, then the electric fans that fit into the standard 400x400 rooflights are VERY good.

They'll shift a helluva lot of air into (or out of, if you press the switch the other way) the van very quickly indeed. But the fan is rather noisy.

I have looked at the Omni roof fan and O'Leary's have them on offer for £129 so I am tempted, problem is I am off in a couple of weeks so I might not get time to fit it.

So my though was to use what I have already got. Recirculating makes sense from the efficiency point of view.

I have got an old 12v fan in the loft, I think I will try that at least it will move air around.

H

Back to polishing the whole van including the roof ( apart from the bit in middle where I can't reach!)

hallii - 2013-02-18 11:15 AM

Is there a way to run my Truma Combi (Electric and gas) on just cool air?

It will work on low fan speed but that is not much use, is there a way to make run a speed and pull in cool air?

It's the one with two knobs/dials.

H

If you are asking whether a Truma Combi heater has the design-capability to circulate unheated air around the vehicle, the answer is No. It might be possible to modify the wiriing to the Combi's fan-motor to get it to run independently when the heater is otherwise switched off, but it's not something I'd be keen to attempt.

No Truma combination air/water heater has had a 'ventilation' capability, though Atwood's Confort 3 'combi' appliance that competed with the Truma product did. This involved moving a lever (usually inaccessible once a Confort 3 had been installed) that caused air to be taken from outside the vehicle rather than from inside.

A combi's external vent has two concentric 'tubes' leading to it. The appliance draws combustion-air for the gas burner via the outer tube and exhausts burnt gas fumes through the inner tube.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-18 1:32 PM

I am presuming you want a fan to add cool air.....why would you need it at this timer of year? :-D

It gets a bit hot for me in Portugal, maybe not so much at this time of the year but later on it definitely does.

OK Derek, I had sussed the "balanced flue" arrangement. It looks like it will be the 12v fan for now, I will fit a roof fan/ventilator later.

H

Archived