Lunar Caravans’ new Vacanza – world exclusiveLunar returns to motorhome market with £30k camper

Andrew MMM

Just 'another' small campervan ! of which there are many,many on the UK market already. albeit on a japanese chassis. A shame, Lunar with all it's motorhome history could have created something far more 'Useful' and 'Saleable'. Was hoping for vans in the 'Telstar, X-Star, Five Star' mould, built on either a new Renault or 'Glory Be' a Nissan/Toyota commercial chassis ! Instead they are up against Bilbo,Wellhouse(Hyundai),Devon,Danbury,Denby,Murvi and many others. I wish them luck though, they are going to need it. Ray

Interesting!

Looks promising - and with a usable night time loo in a such small van it could be a usefully versatile vehicle!

Plenty of compromises for us coachbuilt lovers - but we will need to see one first to discover if there are any insurmountable short comings!!

Well done Lunar for being innovative and different - and for using a Nissan rather than a Fiat or VW base.

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2013-02-19 11:51 AM

Just 'another' small campervan ! of which there are many,many on the UK market already. albeit on a japanese chassis. A shame, Lunar with all it's motorhome history could have created something far more 'Useful' and 'Saleable'. Was hoping for vans in the 'Telstar, X-Star, Five Star' mould, built on either a new Renault or 'Glory Be' a Nissan/Toyota commercial chassis ! Instead they are up against Bilbo,Wellhouse(Hyundai),Devon,Danbury,Denby,Murvi and many others. I wish them luck though, they are going to need it. Ray

But there is a market for these small vehicles, and you try and find a new bilbo's for 30K probably near double..A different sort of camper but I can get a full spec LHD panel van for same money

here is one with proper bed and 5.421 M long: http://tinyurl.com/bh5mh5e

Oop's sorry but just watched the video and the bed hilarious eg pathetic........NEXT! :D

Well, sorry you MMM chaps. Not good, IMHO.

I watched the video.

I'll never get those minutes back.

Over thirty thousand pounds. For that?

Really?

And that was an in-depth review of such an underspec'd, underspaced, over-expensive item?

It's tiny.

It's got virtually buggerall equipment; microscopic storage capacity; and almost zero water or gas capacity.

Heating?

Washing?

And the "amazing" portapotty cupboard? Come on. You can store a portapotty anywhere, in any vehicle.....epsecially one with such a pathetically miniscule holding tank as that one.

Just have a look at what you can get, almost new, on ebay etc for £30,000. And indeed for (say) £20,000, which would give you £10,000 spare to run it for about 10 years.

Then look at what you can get outside of the UK, new, for that sort of money. Shouldn't that be part of an independent review; to compare it with what else you could get for the same, or less, money?

Why don't reviewers really go to town on these lack-of-facilities issues, rather than apparently being just surrogate salesmen for the Companies trying to take so much of your money for so little product?

And yet despite all of this, some people will likely actually go out and drop £30,000 on this, instead of buying a motorhome. Oh dear.

Well, its easy to criticise it for lack of facilities and space .......... BUT there is a market for camper vans that can double up as everyday vehicles rather than fully blown coachbuilts or long wheelbase van conversions, so it isn't reasonable to compare it with them. In the micro-camper market it could do quite well, certainly providing competition for the VWT5 conversions that always seem to me very overpriced for what they give for the money. Although I do agree that they are having a laugh by calling it a 4-berth!)

BGD - 2013-02-19 3:13 PM

Well, sorry you MMM chaps. Not good, IMHO.

I think you are missing the point here Bruce?

Nobody will surely ever compare a pygmy camper with a coachbuilt or even a panel van?

But for those who enjoy an occasional camping break or weekend or just need overnight accommodation en route or want a nice day out van for the family or a multi purpose vehicle I think it shows real innovation.

Mind you until I've seen one and seen how it all fits together and works in the real world I will have to reserve judgement - but Lunar motorhomes were always well made and popular so who knows?

Archived