Sevel van conversions

edison

As there is little or no difference mechanically between Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen panel vans, do you think there is much difference in their "aftercare" - either by the manufacturer as regards warranty and attitude to problems, or in the after sales service given by the different marques dealer networks? Or are they as good or as bad as each other?

Obviously individual dealers vary, but in general is there be any significant difference between these brands? (I am interested here only in any distinction between Sevel vans, not in comparisons with Ford, Renault or Merc ! )

Think that their 'relationship' with each other is not all 'that' cosy. As Fiat will not allow Peugeot to use it's 'Comfortomatic' auto gearbox, because Peugeot didn't 'cough up' for any developement costs, (shooting themselves in the foot I always thought, as they could have sold many more, into Peugeot chassis as well ??) AND some engines are 'Brand specific' too, Must be VERY interesting on the the Production line ?? just as well it's Robots doing the assembly, otherwise 'flawed' humans would get confused. Some parts are NOT interchangeable,though not that many. sure that Nick will be more specific ? But in MOST ways they are the same vehicle. Shop around for common parts, as prices vary enormously between brands. Cause' you could always muddy the waters by getting an Iveco (another story !!!). Sorry on re-reading,I realise this isn't exactly what you asked. Think that Nick Fisher, who maintains a fleet of 'Sevels' can answer more fully. Ray

From recent information, which unfortunately is confidential until my informant decides otherwise, I would put down a caution regarding Citroen and their interpretation of their warranty terms.

The warranty itself is couched in admirably clear and unambiguous terms, but in the above case Citroen customer service currently appear to have gone some way beyond reasonable interpretation (of which, due to the clarity of the warranty, very little is required) and have sought to introduce post hoc changes to the terms that operate in their own favour.

edison - 2013-02-19 12:04 PM

As there is little or no difference mechanically between Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen panel vans,

Are you talking about new models or older models?

The x2/50 euro 4 vans in 120hp 6 speed guise have completely different engines between Fiat and Peugeot/Citroen, not sure about earlier or later models.

As for dealers, I have been let down by the nearest 3 fiat dealers, I wonder how much farther afield I would need to travel to find a decent dealer, but it's no big deal as I have a good independant local garage who makes the fiat dealers look like untrained morons.

OK, thanks - no clear consensus then, although I note Brian's reservations about Citroen warranty claims. I have also heard horror stories about Fiat, regarding warranty claims relating to ComfortMatic transmission, so I suppose they are all out to get us ........ !

If dealer service on a new van really worries you why not buy a three year old used van and get a good 2 or 3 year dealer warranty - like Marquis or similar (other warranties are available!) offer?

And pay a lot less for what is basically the identical base vehicle - just nicely run in and sorted by someone else on your behalf - and unless you want it for London no potential Euro V DPF issues either?

It works for us!!

edison - 2013-02-20 7:21 PM

OK, thanks - no clear consensus then, although I note Brian's reservations about Citroen warranty claims. I have also heard horror stories about Fiat, regarding warranty claims relating to ComfortMatic transmission, so I suppose they are all out to get us ........ !

Your last comment certainly did not apply to Peugeot in our case. That is why I posted as I did.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I've only got to hear the word Citroen to come out in a cold sweat, at least with Fiat it's a warm sweat :-D

As for some dealers I guess it's like Clint Eastwood would say " do you feel lucky punk" . ;-)

mel wood - 2013-02-20 10:02 PM

edison - 2013-02-20 7:21 PM

Your last comment certainly did not apply to Peugeot in our case. That is why I posted as I did.

Yes, thanks - and noted!

Archived