Espana Discovery

Mad Mitch

I'm pleased to join the Forum today, having been a passive reader for a few months. I intend to use the Forum comprehensively as we plan our first major trip, to Portugal and Spain in September for six months.

I received the 2013 edition of Espana Discovery last week, only to notice that a number of pages (17) have no English translation. Unfortunately a few of these would be of interest to us. I have e-mailed Vicarious Books today, and I will post their reply when received.

Kind regards,

Mad Mitch.

Guest JudgeMental

I think I am going to order a new 2013 camperstop (in english) as you can get the download of all stops for you sat nav....makes life much easier when looking for a halt. its expensive but covers most countries of interest

bought the Spanish aires book from vicarious last year..what a disappointment!

welcome to the forum by the way! :-D

Espana Discovery is like France passion, blimey its more expensive then Camperstop!

I agree that the Aires publication on Spain is disappointing and completely different to the book relating to France.

I think that Espana Discovery looks interesting although it is limited in coverage - nothing in southern Spain for instance.

We will be on a limited budget and apart from booking for a few weeks over Christmas in the Algarve or southern Spain, we intend to use aires and other free stopovers as much as possible. I suspect that wild camping will be somewhat limited by the fact that our chosen vehicle - due for delivery in March / April - is a Burstner Ixeo Plus it875G at 8.76 metres! It has to carry 2 people and 2 labradors for 6 months.

Mad Mitch

Mad Mitch - 2013-02-21 12:24 PM

I agree that the Aires publication on Spain is disappointing and completely different to the book relating to France.

I think that Espana Discovery looks interesting although it is limited in coverage - nothing in southern Spain for instance.

We will be on a limited budget and apart from booking for a few weeks over Christmas in the Algarve or southern Spain, we intend to use aires and other free stopovers as much as possible. I suspect that wild camping will be somewhat limited by the fact that our chosen vehicle - due for delivery in March / April - is a Burstner Ixeo Plus it875G at 8.76 metres! It has to carry 2 people and 2 labradors for 6 months.

Mad Mitch

I don't think that in practice 8.8 metres will actually much restrict your ability to wildcamp, or use aires.

We use aires/wildcamp almost all the time when touring, all over France, Spain and Portugal.

Our MH is about 7.7 metres, including the scooter rack, so you'd be about 1 metre longer than us.....we've never had problems at all, and I don't think you'll have any problems either, so long as you can manoeuvre it reasonably.

Just get your security well sorted, simply for peace of mind if travelling in an obviously posh and expensive MH that's surely gonna be full of flatscreen TV, laptop computer and other attractive and easy to sell-on kit... fit the extra door locks, alarm system, window locks, deadlocks, etc.

We've NEVER had any problems at all with wildcamping, but I've made sure that our MH is visually, very obviously, VERY heavily secured.

All doors, all windows, and the boot too. Both cab- doors DOUBLY deadlocked, internally and externally. THREE additional locks on habitation door. Obvious alarms on every window. Double locks on boot door. Dashboard fitted with flashing red "alarm armed" led light.

Also, we don't carry expensive kit with us.....no laptop as we use our own smartphones for wifi internet access, and only a cheapo portable 12volt DVD/TV unit, which can play via USB memory sticks, loads of films and TV series that we download to them before we leave, as well as terrestrial Spanish TV

Hopefully any thieving scrotes will break into someone elses van, which appears much easier than mine to get into.

We also spread our money/cards/second set of keys etc around in several different, VERY hard to find secret locations around the MH, so even if some is nicked in a breakin, the odds are we'll still have more to save us from being stranded. Also, photos of all important van and personal documents are stored in our on-line email accounts, and on both our mobile phones.

Also some spare keys to enable door entry are located in a very secret, utterly impossible to see/find if you didn't know here to look, location right underneath the van............so even if keys are lost/stolen whilst away from van, we are not stranded.

Guest JudgeMental
Mad Mitch - 2013-02-21 2:38 PM

Thank you for your comprehensive tips. We are getting a good alarm and tracker fitted, and will fit a safe, but your other suggestions will be followed up.

Kind regards.

Make sure safe big enough for laptop etc...and bolted through floor/chassis.

window alarms a good idea also and cheap. as when in bed and internal alarm turned off so that you can sleep, if anyone forces a window and reaches in to fish out or grab something (very common form of theft) they will wake you up....

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

Archived