Marital Coercion

spospe

Guest JudgeMental
I would have given HIM 10 years hard labour and the wife community service (10 years also)......................................................NEXT! *-)

Cosmopolitan Girl has always been a bit of a feminist, and her views are very much reflected in the views put forward by our household. ( Her usual response is " don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up").

Many years ago she was asked if she wanted equality with men, but she declined as she was not prepared tp sink that low.

AGD

I disagree that he should have received a longer sentence. He did at least finally plead guilty, she never did and has shown absolutely no contrition (Judge's words, not mine). Both should have received the going rate for the crime which is 18 months and as they will both be free in 2 months, plus they both go to soft Open Prisons in about a week or so, it does not seem that justice has really been done.

As for him being a politician, what do you expect?? They all think they are above the Law and that it only applies to 'little people'. Although he cannot be an MP again he can certainly be elevated to the Lords and then rejoin a Government that way. Horrible thought I know but it is possible and in our corrupt society it does seem that crime pays. At the very least he will become a political commentator/lobbyist, as no doubt will she, and the gravy train will start all over again. Of course non exec directorships will also be forthcoming as he still has a lot of contacts and politicians have very short memories. Plus he has a lot of dirt on senior LibDems hidden away.

Morally it stinks to high heaven but such is our way of life these days.

It will be very interesting to see how they both cope after coming out and how they rebuild their careers. They are unlikely to disappear from public view (you need a thick skin to become an MP and an even thicker one to get to be a Minister).

They will probably view what has happened as something unpleasant, which really, really, really should not have happened to them. Fortified in the knowledge that they have been treated badly by the law, they each will ride on to build up a new life and face down the public.

Time passes, emotions fade and it was only three points anyway.

Dave225 - 2013-03-12 4:15 PM

I disagree that he should have received a longer sentence. He did at least finally plead guilty, she never did and has shown absolutely no contrition (Judge's words, not mine).

Morally it stinks to high heaven but such is our way of life these days.

This strikes me as a bit inconsistent, Dave. After all, it was her initial plea of guilt (in the papers, not the court) that pulled down the whole pack of cards on their heads. She publicly confessed to taking his points for him. That was the initial perversion of justice. It was his (presumed) suggestion/request/demand to which she acquiesced in so doing. No-one has so far claimed that she spontaneously volunteered to take them (might have been an interesting defence, had he run it! :-)).

Famously, he then fell out of her bed and into another, and she decided to get her revenge. From that day to well into his trial, he consistently denied being the driver, or asking her to take his points for him. Had he owned up at the outset, the whole thing would probably have resulted in a caution or possibly a suspended sentence. His true crime (civil, not criminal) was, IMO, far less evading the points, but the endless lying to the point of a trial, and then recanting at the eleventh hour. No credit due for that, IMO.

She, by and large, stuck to what he eventually conceded was the truth, that she had taken his points for him. For that, I think she got about what she deserved, perhaps a bit more.

On the other hand, had he accepted his points at the time, as he should have, he would at least claim to being a moral man. When she first claimed what she had done, at his request, had he then conceded that he had, indeed, done as she said, and expressed deep regret for his lapse of conduct, he could have claimed to be a half moral man. Instead he managed to establish, at huge public expense, that he has no morals at all. That, it seems to me, makes him the greater sinner of the two, and deserving of greater punishment.

Now add in the wholly unnecessary cost that his consistent lying has heaped upon the public purse, and he becomes even more deserving of greater punishment. Then add his status as an MP, a cabinet minister, a lawmaker, and the hypocrisy of his behaviour merely compounds his sin.

So, your second paragraph, in which you rail against the morals of MPs and the corruption within our government, seems at variance with the shrug with which you seem to pass over his misdemeanours. Surely, to complain as you do here, you should condemn him for what he is, not ignore his staggering dishonesty? Should you not be demanding exemplary treatment, to send a clear message to all of them that they should be scrupulous in their observance of the laws they pass? I don't see how we can clean up their act for them if we appear merely to acquiesce over their sins. We on here won't make any difference, of course. But am I wrong in principle?

Guest JudgeMental

YES YES and YES!..HANG HIM HIGH! A perfect example of unbridled arrogance, I would have his head on a plate. A common man that relies on a driving licence would have been hammered in court.At least Jonathan Aitken seemed to have been humbled by the experience but this prat not a chance....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4838716/chris-huhne-ridiculed-on-his-first-day-in-wandsworth-jail.html

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2013-03-14 10:02 AM

It all sounds a bit like doing National Service to me.

:-|

Difference being in prison they do nothing except relax? *-)

Archived