New Wipers

Tracker

Checked 'em yesterday prior to trip next weekend and found one split at 3.00 pm

Phoned locally for prices - unimpressed both with response to calls and to prices.

Searched online at wiperblades.co.uk

Ordered at 4.30 pm, advised dispatched Royal Mail 1st Class 5.30 pm

Arrived this morning at 10.00 am - fitted and working at 10.15 am

Amazing service from Wiperblades and from Royal Mail.

And people wonder why online sales are booming.

Hi Nick,

£28.50 plus £2.95 pp - not cheap but Bosch Aero never are and I don't buy cheap wipers because I like to see where I am going when it hisses with rain!

Now tell me you could have supplied 'em for half that price and really make my day!

That's certainly great service Rich, but the prices sound a bit steep.

As an aside, I've wondered fro some time now whether the "aero" type of wiper blades are really better/muchbetter/no better than the traditional type..........as I see that you can buy aero style ones now to replace your "ordinary" ones if you want to.

Has anyone got any back-to-back experience of using both types on their MH or car please?

Are they really worth the substantial price premium?

The price is for the two Bruce - one 26" and one 22", but yes I agree it is more than enough - although I won't think that when driving through a thunderstorm!

Anyway the job is done in less than 24 hours with no fuss or faffing about so what price convenience?

I've not had the two different sorts on the same vehicle but I have had one or other on various cars and vans and I do find the aero blades less prone to lifting off in high winds and less prone to judder and screech on a drying screen.

Brambles - 2013-02-21 2:19 PM

Think Judge is the winner of making your day on this one Tracker. :D

Not quite Jon - I make it £27.05 inc 1st class postage so Wooie is still leading in the Bosch Cup race!

But having used Wiperblades before I found them a known company and dependable which I thought preferable to an unknown - not that I am casting any aspersions about any other company as most online traders are good these days!!

I've bought wiper-blades via www.wiperblades.co.uk and can also vouch for their impressive speed of delivery.

The company is currently offering a pair of replacement blades for X250 Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen vehicles at £17.86 (+ £2.95 P&P)

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/fiat-ducato-years-2006-to-2013/aeroblade-wb-626-flat-and-aeroblade-wb-6-21-flat-twin-pack-wiper-blades/

These are 'own brand' and I note that the shorter blade is 21" not the 22" of Tracker's Bosch blade.

BGD asked if anyone has back-to-back experience of using 'traditional' and 'flat' blades on their vehicles.

On my Transit-based Hobby I've had the original Ford blades, followed by two sets of Bosch blades. These were all 'traditional' blades and, after a relatively short time, they all began to wipe poorly and 'scuff' the glass. The last of the Bosch sets became infuriatingly noisy after very little use. I replaced them with a set of Wiper Blades own-brand blades which have proved very satisfactory. Our Skoda car also has flat 'aero' blades and they wipe well and quietly.

Having changed from traditional blades to 'aero' blades, I'd never go back to the traditional type.

We normally have the Aero blades fitted to both the car and the motorhome. This year I needed a new one on the drivers side of the car before putting it in for the MOT. Given that we intend to change the car for a new Honda CRv the winter I fitted a standard blade. Answer to your question is that the performance of the Aero blade is indeed much better than the standard type blade. Wish i'dnot been such a skinflint and spent a few quid more for an Aero blade.

Incidently the reason for the need to replace the drivers blade was that our local authority used a so called jet packer to repair the potholes in our road and generated so much abrasive grit that it got into the rubber of the blade and wrecked it. Looking on the bright side they also managed to spray the car with tar which I managed to remove myself but for which I gratefully received £500 compensation.

For anyone one travelling down to Devon or abroad into Cornwall via the A38 that wondefull emporium of good taste Trago Mills sells a wide range of wiper blades. A set of 22" Wipac blades for my 1998 VW Lt cost ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ £3: 18p ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three pounds 18 pence

Travelling S W on the A38 (now known for some mysterious reason as the Devon Expressway) take the A382 for Newton Abbot and after 400 yds turn almost back on yourself at the next roundabout.

Hello Campers,

First of all; Rich, the blades are about £25 for a pair from Fiat (plus VAT) so as long as the quality is comparable; you done good!

I think I can help with the question of wear rates and how old types compare with new.....

Our Ducato's typically cover between 40,000 and 60,000 a year and on the pre X250 vans we used Bosch standard blades and they would NEVER last for a whole 12 months. We purchased approximately 200 wiper blades a year.

Since switching over to mostly X250's with aero blades we have confirmed our early observations that the blades are lasting AT LEAST 18 MONTHS and sometimes 2 years. We are only using the original spec Fiat blades and are buying no more than 40 per year!

The only question that I cannot answer at this point is whether prolonged periods of not using them will have a more pronounced effect on the deterioration of the rubber but I suspect that the improved lifespan is down to the more even pressure of the entire length of the blade on the windscreen whereas the old types had a few points of greater pressure. I would recommend periodically lifting them gently and cleaning the rubber with warm water from time to time to prevent sticking if you are parked in a warm and sunny place for more than a few weeks.

The other consideration is that in icy conditions these blades are just as likely to become frozen to the windscreen and if you attempt to operate the wipers while frozen there is always going to be a risk of damaging the wiper motor or mechanism but because these blades are tougher than the old type, I think that damage is more likely than before. Not a major worry, more an observation.

I wonder if the fact that they are lighter than a traditional wiper blade with a spoiler fitted tot he blade or the arm will prolong the life of the wiper motor, or will the improved surface contact and therefore drag put more strain on the motor and shorten it's life? Only time will tell....

The bottom line is that I think they are fantastic and have converted my car to use them too.

Nick

Hi all, just a tip about wipers, hope not teaching ow to suck eggs.

Whenever we stop for a night or so I put a couple of wine bottle corks under the blade supports keeping then off the glass. Seems to stop them catching all the stuff that slides down the screen and drys them.

And if I forget to remove them they can't hurt anyone if they fly off.

For the well off ,Champagne corks are better as they are bigger and also they make a statement.

George

Guest JudgeMental
George.. - 2013-02-22 10:33 AM

Whenever we stop for a night or so I put a couple of wine bottle corks under the blade supports keeping then off the glass. Seems to stop them catching all the stuff that slides down the screen and drys them.

For the well off ,Champagne corks are better as they are bigger and also they make a statement.

George

Indeed dear boy!........But surely not just any old shampoo!

George.. - 2013-02-22 10:33 AM

George

Only two bottles a night? Doesn't your wife drink then? *-) *-)

Archived