Windows 8. Its anti English !

Mrs T

We have just bought a new pc with windows 8. Apart from it being different in geting rid of unwanted displays it fails miserably in understanding English culture !

That of "Playing Cards" an ancient tradition in households of the English the world over.

There is no 'FreeCell' card game ... NONE and NOTHING LIKE IT. Thats all we played. There were 50,000 different arrangements. Now there are NONE. Disaster !!

We are sending the strongest message to Microsoft in Washington that they have degraded the English culture and we object.

Please advise all your friends to complain and preferably DO NOT BUY A WINDOWS 8 for its Anti English

Mr & Mrs T ... We are annoyed !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest JudgeMental
We just got a new PC in January and my son urged me to NOT get a windows 8 as they are crap...made me watch about 3 you tube videos where the system gets rubbished...was enought to convince me!lol now have a lightening fast windows 7 PC and very happy with it..Touch screen on a PC, what's that about! I'm writing this on an iPad but on a PC......

Then you should complain about spellcheck.

Regarding a complaint or 'Feedback' all these designers think they are doing it all wondefully well if they get no complaints. Thats why Ebay is so brilliant at its job because any one can make a comment.

The Americans are usually very quick at adjusting from our experience so you must always say your piece. Call it what you like but if you don't they will continue in their old ways.

Regarding Minicampers suggestion we will look for it. Thanks but our complaint will still go to Reading and Washington, they have also omitted the Gadget Clock, a most usefull gadget when always on top, now we have to do other operations in order to see the time, another no good idea.

MT

donna miller - 2013-02-22 9:42 AM

If your spellchecker isn't working right then you've probably forgot to set your language to English (UK) as the default setting is English (US).

A couple of hundred years ago, if you stole a loaf of bread, you would be transported to Australia - -

-- if you couldn't spell, you were transported to America. That's how it all got started.

I never use spellchecker so I'm not really worried what language they use, it's just a bit irritating when some foreigners tell you your spelling is incorrect..

It's like someone who can't count telling you your sums are wrong.

:-D

There are some free games with windows 8 the games are tucked away in the Windows Games Store and are free to install, i'm not sure if they are what you want but i suggest you have a look. Windows 8 is rubbish i agree and i wouldn't be surprised if the desktop start button is re-instated in the next version. It seems Microsoft have abandoned the desktop format in favour of the touchscreen tablet a silly move in my opinion. but as they are moving towards a fully app based system anything can happen.

I agree that Windows 8 is not the best but most problems are occuring because it's totally different from anything PC users are used to, the same was said about Win7 when it came out, so give it time.

And as for Mrs T's comment that they don't know English phrasing; erm, Microsoft are American, Windows is developed by Microsoft therefore is biased towards their home market. *-)

Just as software developed here is predominately based on our language and mannerisms, so is theirs.

We do find that in general windows 8 works fine for us. Our main gripe is tne FreeCell game and the loss of the gadget clock that was usueful to be seen all the time when working.

Regarding the new Start up feature. We never use it, we move everything that we normaly use onto the green display panel and use it from there like all the original windows display icons.

We have the cheapest HP that we could find plus an HP All in one Printer. Within the hour of starting it was damaged by virus's, we contacted their customer services, the PC was then taken over and controlled by the US team. They cleared every virus and checked all systems, it took 3 hours and it was all free.

Just thought of another source to make a complaint.

We have made our complaint to Microsoft and we await a result.

Mrs T

Archived